AMD Phenom II 720 BE hits 4.2+ Ghz on air

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Why do these "comparisons" always feature the "David" CPU overclocked and the "Goliath" CPU at stock speeds?

LOLOL..

Love this comment.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Why do these "comparisons" always feature the "David" CPU overclocked and the "Goliath" CPU at stock speeds?

Because in biblical times they didn't have enough steroids to pump up goliath any further, but david was so puny that he could put their small quantity of roids (and the rage) to epic use :p

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
ndeed it's all about leverage...what u wanna do with your power... just for show or are you gonna use it... :D

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya Got all excited for nothing again. Were stability test . I can run my I7 @4.6 its not stable at that GHz. Sorry 8 hours prime or its no good.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
hmm, I kind of remember seeing how all Phenom II X4s were supposed to easily overclock past 4.2GHz+ on air. We all know how that turned out.

Even so, I am most likely picking one of these up to put in my system. :)

I don't recall any source promising 4.2Ghz+ on air other than some dumb fan boys in forums. I've seen a lot of people claim their Phenom II to reach 3.8Ghz on air and that's all AMD claimed it would do, beyond that it was water cooling to get above 4.0Ghz.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: LoneNinja
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
hmm, I kind of remember seeing how all Phenom II X4s were supposed to easily overclock past 4.2GHz+ on air. We all know how that turned out.

Even so, I am most likely picking one of these up to put in my system. :)

I don't recall any source promising 4.2Ghz+ on air other than some dumb fan boys in forums. I've seen a lot of people claim their Phenom II to reach 3.8Ghz on air and that's all AMD claimed it would do, beyond that it was water cooling to get above 4.0Ghz.

Not true . Most reviewers report getting higher O/C but its not stable. Stable being the key here for me it has to be 24/7 stable.

It is a nice Cpu . Tho . Good luck. I would like to see that link were AMD claimed 3.8 ghz . I just want the Date. When the over clocking thing on LNC started. AMD was claiming 6 GHz . They never really said Air or Water but people were saying more than 4.GHz. Because guys recall I got really upset. That AMD was claiming 4ghz on air. I said they better get it right this time or I would take legeal action . As it is I believe next stepping gets them there and more . So its Cool.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Markfw900
Originally posted by: Kraeoss
so umm f@h is a benchmark now ? hrmmm what will be the next benching app ? btw i am trying to convince a friend to wait till april to build his am3 rig because he's running a sempron and an onboard video card and wants to play the latest games

No, not a benchmark, just what I use the most. Check benchmarks on the games or software you use/play the most. Then look at the prices in your range, and decide what's best bang/buck.

If I were to start from scratch right now, I would get 3 or 4 slot pci-e motherboards, and the cheapest cpu I could find, and populate the box with 9800 GT cards. For F@H, thats currently the best bang/buck/ppd. The quads I have are left over from last years best bang/buck which was 2 smp units on a quad.

And mark is right....

For the percentage amd is slower then the lower clocked INtel chip it really doesn't matter...because both of them get their arse handed to them by nvidia gpus....

My QX6700@3.46ghz for which I originally paid 600 dollars for got me aliitle more then 2000ppd( 4 instances and was before SMP client and the idea of running 2 SMP clients to take advantage of the idle times)....For 260 dollars of investment in 2 9800gt...I average 9400ppd...

So AMD or INtel aside, dont base cpu performance on folding much anymore....

With old gpu clients and drivers one video card took up one core regardless for polling....So 2 cards in my quad box would generally run me 50% cpu usage on top of the gpus running full blown. NOw with newer drivers and clients there is no hit or minute on the cpu...

So the basically any bargain basement dual core (intel or AMD)(no point of looking at single core though I think mark has a celeron of one of those) on a 3 to 4 pci express slot mobo....Pick up open box buys at newegg of 9800's for around 90 -100 a piece...It would take 3-4 quad cores to equal the performance of a dual core dual gpu set. At total cost for 3-4 total systems???? The money saved from not getting a 300-400+ dollar cpu for a 40 dollar one (like mark did) easily paid for the slightly more expensive motherboard, beefier 700watt minimum power supply, and the a good percentage of the video cards...IN the end he still runs a client on the cpu and can make a nice 13-15k ppd box

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Can anyone find that AMD slide that was floating around here that showed how much overhead they were supposed to have?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Can anyone find that AMD slide that was floating around here that showed how much overhead they were supposed to have?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardwa...4-940-and-920-review/1

Specifically http://images.bit-tech.net/con...nd-920-review/oc-8.jpg

edit: The line in the graphics is just a tad above 3.9GHz for the upper end of overclock headroom on air. 4.7GHz for water.

Weird, the edit button did a quote of my post instead...

At any rate, I photoshopped the linear y-axis scale onto AMD's slide so you see where the water-cooled overhead claims were extending to. (>4.7GHz)

http://i272.photobucket.com/al...t/PhenomIIHeadroom.jpg

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
The 920's didn't even hit 3.7ghz and were much closer to the center of range as HTT overclocking could be limitations...the higher ranges are always the BE 940's with unlocked multis....

I would say we could talk about motherboard limitations on the platform being the factor except for the fact unlocked multis are a good percentage of our real world results.

Just chalk it up to first stepping. They will likely get better. Are they in the same realm as ocing chips as the intel chips? NO....I think they lose that as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie
Unfortunately reality showed up and told the real story.....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...howthread.php?t=213248

prime stable and water is only 4.2ghz range.....air was only getting to 3.7ghz

Wow, check out the first page of posts. Nothing but comments from people that are AFRAID to run Prime95 for 8 hours, for fear that they will burn out their mobos.

Is this because so many people on XS are afraid to run prime, because they aren't that stable with their overclocks, and using the mobos as a FUD excuse?

Or are there endemic problems with socket AM2+ mobos VRM sections, still, ala the 780G debacle in which Phenom 9850s would burn out mobos, because they couldn't handle 125W TDP CPUs?

I OCed my Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, at 1.33v, and I ran Prime95 25.9 64-bit overnight, no problems at all. (OTOH, sometimes when I run OCCT:linpack, it hits temps so high that my mobo shuts down.)

This is exactly why I do not run prime any more for more than 10-15min. The hardware we use is not made to take this kind of beating
Crazy talk! I run my machines 24/7 under loads equal to prime95.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry

Wow, check out the first page of posts. Nothing but comments from people that are AFRAID to run Prime95 for 8 hours, for fear that they will burn out their mobos.

Is this because so many people on XS are afraid to run prime, because they aren't that stable with their overclocks, and using the mobos as a FUD excuse?

Or are there endemic problems with socket AM2+ mobos VRM sections, still, ala the 780G debacle in which Phenom 9850s would burn out mobos, because they couldn't handle 125W TDP CPUs?

I OCed my Q6600 to 3.6Ghz, at 1.33v, and I ran Prime95 25.9 64-bit overnight, no problems at all. (OTOH, sometimes when I run OCCT:linpack, it hits temps so high that my mobo shuts down.)

This is exactly why I do not run prime any more for more than 10-15min. The hardware we use is not made to take this kind of beating
Crazy talk! I run my machines 24/7 under loads equal to prime95.

I saw all those posts a couple months ago, not sure what happened.

I ran P95 on my 9850/Biostar 790GX combo for a couple of hours, no problems here. The 9850 was @ 3 Ghz, drawing much more juice @ load than any PhII. I do have ramsinks (leftover from a Zalman VF900) on the mosfets near the CPU socket, though.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: poohbear

"only getting to 3.7ghz". i'd be quite happy w/ "only" 3.7ghz for a $145 tri-core w/ 7.5mb cache.

If the "only 3.7" get whuped by an only 3.3 Q6600, then it sure makes a different.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
But that depends on application no? Like gaming for example where the denebs have the edge, compared to F@H which is clearly faster on intel cpus.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003

"only getting to 3.7ghz". i'd be quite happy w/ "only" 3.7ghz for a $145 tri-core w/ 7.5mb cache.

If the "only 3.7" get whuped by an only 3.3 Q6600, then it sure makes a different.

are the q6600s selling for $145?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

are the q6600s selling for $145?

ditto my thoughts as well. Also what's the power-consumption look like for a 3.7GHz 720 vs. 3.3GHz Q6600...performance/watt should favor the AMD rig if my perception on AMD's 45nm power-consumption is correct.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The $145 is a tri-core, not quad-core, and thus price in this example doesn't count.

The thread Duvie linked to was 940/920 overclocks.

As for the poster, he runs superpi and calls it stable ? I don't think that counts either, I could probably do that on my 940.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
The $145 is a tri-core, not quad-core, and thus price in this example doesn't count.

The thread Duvie linked to was 940/920 overclocks.

As for the poster, he runs superpi and calls it stable ? I don't think that counts either, I could probably do that on my 940.

Mark doesn't price count in any example of price/performance comparisons being drawn?

I don't care how many cores/threads i7 has when compared to a C2Q or C2D but I do care what the price/performance is for them for the applications I care about.

No disagreement over what is being considered stable by some folks versus what is considered stable by others. That is why the qualifier needs to always be present when using the word stable...i.e. "superPi stable" versus "prime95 stable" or "OCCT stable", etc.

Anyone throwing the word "stable" around without including the qualifier should know beforehand that they will be criticized for not clarifying what they mean by stable. Its the nature of the business of the OC'ing.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, well, a Q6600 is faster clock per clock as the Phenom II, and if you take $180 /4 = $45 per core, * 3 = $135, so its cheaper and faster...