"AMD Phenom delayed until 1Q08"

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
DigiTimes Link

AMD intends to modify its process technology to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors in order to improve the competitiveness of the CPUs against Intel's Penryn family, said the sources. AMD has already notified several motherboard makers that Phenom will now begin test-production in November or December, and will launch in first quarter of 2008, noted the sources.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
god dammit. AMD would kick some ass if they were a tad faster. i love amd and would rather not go to the dark side (intel) but it looks as though i may have to.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i love amd and would rather not go to the dark side (intel) but it looks as though i may have to.
Tell me the location of the Rebel Base!

On topic...even if performence numbers place Phenoms in the mid range, id only consider them if the price is right (meaning that i cant get a faster Intel chip for just a little bit more).
so there still might be hope for AMD if price/performence numbers are good.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Apparently AMD has a trouble with 65nm process. What's the highest frequency Brisbane core SKU?

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
Update to orig link :
However, AMD has responded to this report by stating that the company's official launch schedule for Phenom remains the second half of 2007 and this schedule has not changed. The company added that it has not contacted motherboard makers concerning a delay to the schedule.

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
Intel has four-core Opteron stuffer set for August

Just this morning, AMD announced that in August it will ship customers 1.9GHz low power and 2.0GHz standard editions of Barcelona - a four-core version of the Opteron server chip. Servers with the new chips should arrive in bulk in September and October. Intel, however, isn't sitting still from what we hear and looks set to effectively one-up AMD.

Chipzilla also in August will release a low voltage version of its four-core Xeon code-named Clovertown that runs at 2.0GHz, while consuming just 50W max power. By contrast, AMD's upcoming standard edition Opteron will eat up 95W, while the low power chip will eat up 68W. Intel's new 2.0GHz chip will also boast a 1333MHz front side bus, up from today's 1066MHz FSBs, according to our sources.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: lopri
Apparently AMD has a trouble with 65nm process. What's the highest frequency Brisbane core SKU?

2.6Ghz, I think. Not sure how well they OC though.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
This means R600 will definitely be a GTX killer!!!

Oh, wait...we're talking about CPU's now, right?

*sigh*

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So let's see who is more believable here...the mobo guys who have repeatedly been correct thus far everytime they utter anything to do with delayed, buggy, and slow speed-bin K10...OR the chip manufacturer who has repeatedly denied every story effecting such on both R600 and K10?

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>AMD intends to modify its process technology to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors
>Apparently AMD has a trouble with 65nm process.

That boy was our last hope.

>Tell me the location of the Rebel Base!

Wait ... there is another

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
DAMMIT.

We should all just form a raiding party and break into their facilities and do it ourselves. :p

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

Modern PC Hobbiest's Life:

Wait
Wait
Get excited for product that is
Delayed
Wait
Wait
Get excited for game that is
Delayed
Wait
Wait
Oh it's finally coming out
Underwhelming and/or Broken

Oh well. At least Intel and Nvidia are performing lately

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Bateluer
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lopri
Apparently AMD has a trouble with 65nm process. What's the highest frequency Brisbane core SKU?</end quote></div>

2.6Ghz, I think. Not sure how well they OC though.

Not so much 65nm but the split power plane features of their cores. Each core can clock lower or use less power than the other. So you add that to the 65nm shrink and you got a nightmare.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
And this now makes perfect sense why they did not display them at computex.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
I have been an AMD fan boy for years, but I have to admit that I haven't been following CPU's much since Intel released the Core 2 Duo.

So, is Intel kicking AMD's butt right now? Is there any chance that AMD will regain its place as the leader in higher performance, lower power-consumption, and lower cost?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: timswim78
I have been an AMD fan boy for years, but I have to admit that I haven't been following CPU's much since Intel released the Core 2 Duo.

So, is Intel kicking AMD's butt right now? Is there any chance that AMD will regain its place as the leader in higher performance, lower power-consumption, and lower cost?</end></div>
yes, there is a chance. there is also a chance that our democratic-controlled congress will vote to amend the constitution to allow W to run for a 3rd term because they love working with him so much.

They don't appear to have much chance of passing intel during the next couple of years. Possibly they have learned so much from their wet lithography catastrophe that they will be able to get the jump on intel at 32 or 22 nm I guess...maybe...but I wouldn't hold my breath.
edit: check out this link:http://www.channelregister.co....29/amd_barcelona_2ghz/
title of article? "AMD to crush AMD with 2.0GHz 'Barcelona'". Read the article and all you amd fans (me included) will not be pleased.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Frackal

Modern PC Hobbiest's Life:

Wait
Wait
Get excited for product that is
Delayed
Wait
Wait
Get excited for game that is
Delayed
Wait
Wait
Oh it's finally coming out
Underwhelming and/or Broken

Oh well. At least Intel and Nvidia are performing lately

aint it the truth :p

long time no see, frackal :beer:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
At Intel's OEM introduction of the C2Duo (and later stuff), Intel kept pounding away at the idea that Intel's design allows simple expansion to Quad....etc. architecture. They claimed that AMD's design would require significant re-design (and testing) every time they tried to expand it.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by: covert24
thats because amd is making a true quad core.

"True quad-core" is an erroneous term. "Native quad-core" is what you should use.

"True quad-core" suggests the presence of a "false quad-core".. and that's simply not an accurate way to describe Intel's quad-core products for this simple reason: both Barcelona and Clovertown have 4 cores in one package.