AMD - NVIDIA or ATI or VIA?

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Hopefully I'm in the right forum.

Well, I own an AMD 64 processor but my motherboard uses the Nvidia Nforce chipset.

I've considered upgrading but now that AMD has merged with ATI, should I even consider Nvidia chipsets or even VIA?

Would you consider buying Nvidia video cards anymore?

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Uhm...... why would it make a difference? NVidia isnt going to make crap chipsets because ATI and AMD merged.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
nvidia still makes the best chip sets for amd , and will for the foreseeable future. ati will give amd the advantage of getting better/more chipsets for the oem market. via still makes good chip sets for amd as well.

nvidia still makes the best gpu's as well.

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
Originally posted by: J0hnny

I still wouldn't consider buying ATI video cards despite the AMD merger.

But "ATI" will have the advantage with "knowing" the architecture better now.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser

I still wouldn't consider buying ATI video cards despite the AMD merger.

But "ATI" will have the advantage with "knowing" the architecture better now.

Exactly, and because of that I could see myself with an ATI chipset and Nvidia gpu.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
well here's something to look at:

nVidia relies on AMD for sales, generally speaking on majority's notice.

however... we do see the Core 2 Duo's running on technology like the nForce series, on motherboards.
nForce is nVidia based, Core 2 Duo is Intel based. nVidia still has hope for this particular matter, but don't be fooled.

nVidia is a multi-billion dollar corporation. they wouldn't just go assunder from a merge of their long trusted partner (AMD) with rival: graphics chipset maker, ATI, now would they? after all, the CEO of nVidia is a genious, he would fight tooth and nail to keep nVidia's image shining as bright as when the Geforce 2 Ti was released, "the flagship series was finally born..." Even when ATI launched the 9700 Pro which utterly crushed the Geforce 4 Ti 4600, nVidia still had loads of cash being rung in from their graphics card manufacturers, Abit, Asus, EVGA, etc.

nVidia successfully soaked in the resources of 3DFX as a corporation. what makes you think they don't have the same power today to deliver financial stability towards developing next generation technology for end users, worldwide?

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
why the hell not?????

it makes no difference... AMD has been very adamant about not only keeping support for other competitors' products but also increasing the range of supported products/technologies.

the ONLY thing that will change is that newer AMD CPUs and chipsets will have some integrated ATI technologies in there and there might be a small cost/performance benefit from pairing AMD CPUs with ATI chipsets... but as far as VIA and nVidia are concerned, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will change!!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wait for reviews(for future products), choose what to do based on the results. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point Nvidia chipsets will fall behind AMD/ATI, but only time will tell.

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Originally posted by: franguinho
why the hell not?????

it makes no difference... AMD has been very adamant about not only keeping support for other competitors' products but also increasing the range of supported products/technologies.

the ONLY thing that will change is that newer AMD CPUs and chipsets will have some integrated ATI technologies in there and there might be a small cost/performance benefit from pairing AMD CPUs with ATI chipsets... but as far as VIA and nVidia are concerned, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will change!!!

That's what appears to be on the surface.

What if AMD were to release a monster ATI special? Processor that's specifically made to take advantage of an ATI GPU and chipset?

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
why the hell not?????

man I gotta comment this one, too much self-righteousness being expressed. you used words like "ONLY thing that will change," as if you've studied the company schemes and their research and how they market their technology at what target markets?

AMD for example, does not only focus a lot on CPU's, they were specializing even in the early millenium on research for providing break throughs in flash memory architecture. There are a lot of good things to see from the merge of AMD and ATI, like the so-named, Fusion technology.

nVidia will have to shift plans, to keep competition stiff abroad, marketting, advertising, research, and other things like establishing an independence where their reliance is projected forth in constantly remaining strong towards its competitors who develop very much of the same final products for end users, like ATI and Creative's ingenious 3D Labs.

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Originally posted by: fire400
why the hell not?????

man I gotta comment this one, too much self-righteousness being expressed. you used words like "ONLY thing that will change," as if you've studied the company schemes and their research and how they market their technology at what target markets?

AMD for example, does not only focus a lot on CPU's, they were specializing even in the early millenium on research for providing break throughs in flash memory architecture. There are a lot of good things to see from the merge of AMD and ATI, like the so-named, Fusion technology.

nVidia will have to shift plans, to keep competition stiff abroad, marketting, advertising, research, and other things like establishing an independence where their reliance is projected forth in constantly remaining strong towards its competitors who develop very much of the same final products for end users, like ATI and Creative's ingenious 3D Labs.

Would Nvidia fanbois switch over to ATI once the test results come back positive for ATI?

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
hasnt been enough time for the merger to affect the products yet. It'll be a generation or two before you see a compatability bonus

nigerianbusinessman

Sep 25, 2006
ATI has never been that great at making chipsets to begin with. I don't think it will be an issue for a while. Nvidia will likely continue to make chipsets for both camps well into the future. What might become an issue is when AMD inevitably moves a graphics core on to the processor die. Even then, I believe that this will turn out to be similar to onboard graphics in that they will be able to be disabled, or more likely used for some other purpose.

I don't even think moving the core on to the processor die is going to send performance through the roof. Not unless ATI starts making chipsets specifically for these processors with high bandwidth single purpose paths to high speed memory for the graphics core. Even though the Hypertransport bus has a lot of bandwidth, there's still other traffic on it in comparison to a graphics card where the GPU can communicate with high speed GDDR with no slowdown. Moving the GPU to the processor die will speed up communication between the GPU and processor at the detriment of communication between the GPU and graphic memory.