AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance in Trials on Tatooine (Non Gameworks)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Huh? Its the same engine. Unreal on consoles uses VR Gameworks.

Did you think Epic developes a different engine for every platform it runs on?

I did not claim that Epic develops different engine for EVERY platform - please stop putting words into my mouth which i have never said. But since your were talking particularly of consoles, Unreal for XBOX One uses DX12 while on PC it is DX11 - different engine.

Your original question was: Isn't Unreal the biggest console engine?
Answer: Yes it is, but it uses DX12 on XBox One, which apparently performs excellent on AMD hardware.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
You didn't bother to read my link. Unreal on PC is DX 12.

One more time. It's the same engine regardless of platform.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
You didn't bother to read my link. Unreal on PC is DX 12.

One more time. It's the same engine regardless of platform.

What relevance does it have that Unreal on PC is potentially available as DX12 version, when the games we are talking about in this very thread (Trials on Tatooine and Raw Data) both using DX11?

On top of this some features like async compute are only available in the XBox One version of Unreal Engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon1

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
It's the same engine but it 100% does not have the same low level code that affects the performance. The high level engine abstractions are the same - that's the point of an engine. The low level code is 100% certainly different between platforms and performs differently...

Not to mention adoption rates for Unreal 3 and 3.5 is VASTLY different than that for Unreal 4. They aren't the same and shouldn't be considered the same.