AMD not making 146's anymore?

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I ordered a 146 Mfg Part#: OSA146DAA5BN Buy.com Sku: 202068402 from Buy.com before the price increase several weeks ago. I just received and email from them stating that this cpu is no longer available. Is AMD still making them?

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Yes, they are still making them. Buy.com gave me that BS also and canceled my order, but their parts are still orderable off their website. I asked them why, and they completely ignored my question when they replied, so I asked again, and again...and again, and again, did they circle around my question.

Answer: They don't want to give them to us at the original price we ordered, but they won't tell you that.

Doctorweir

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by: CU
Yes, they are still making them. Buy.com gave me that BS also and canceled my order, but their parts are still orderable off their website. I asked them why, and they completely ignored my question when they replied, so I asked again, and again...and again, and again, did they circle around my question.

Answer: They don't want to give them to us at the original price we ordered, but they won't tell you that.

Did you try calling them Avalon?

Exactly THAT happend to me today with a german vendor here...
I had back-ordered an Opty 165 for about two weeks and today the order was cancelled stating "because of the long inconvenient waiting time".
Complete BS, as today they list them as in stock with 10+ pieces. However, my backorder was 300 bucks and they now sell for 350...incredible coincidence :roll:
Suckers...

davegraham

Jun 25, 2004
they're still being made but should be EOL'd in late Q2 or Q3.

buy.com, monarch, etc. are not going to be carrying them because of the pricing increase.

dave

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: davegraham
they're still being made but should be EOL'd in late Q2 or Q3.

buy.com, monarch, etc. are not going to be carrying them because of the pricing increase.

dave

But they are purchasable at the new increased price on their websites.

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Avalon

The situation with the 144/146's is a little messed up right now.

Any you see for sale right now are likely ones shipped to fill old orders. I, for example, got a shipment of 40 of them from an order that was 2 months old! I also had to pay the "higher" price for ~22 of the 40, which is why we had to raise our price.

On top of this, getting AMD to ship any new ones to you - even at the higher price - requires authorization from them, contingent on your assurance that the processors will be used for the "appropriate" tasks.

Basically, they are a pain :)

msi or epox

Jul 15, 2005
same thing happened to me

-when I asked them why they kept dodging the question
-when i asked them if they would continue to sell them- he just said that i would have to buy at the increased price. - conclusion: they will keep selling them

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: TankGuys

The situation with the 144/146's is a little messed up right now.

Any you see for sale right now are likely ones shipped to fill old orders. I, for example, got a shipment of 40 of them from an order that was 2 months old! I also had to pay the "higher" price for ~22 of the 40, which is why we had to raise our price.

On top of this, getting AMD to ship any new ones to you - even at the higher price - requires authorization from them, contingent on your assurance that the processors will be used for the "appropriate" tasks.

Basically, they are a pain :)

Yes, but that doesn't excuse buy.com from listing these processors as orderable on their website. Allowing backorders isn't going to help them fill in older orders anytime soon. The icing on the cake is that they are lying to me, telling me they canceled my order because the item is no longer for sale, when it is. They canceled me because they could not afford to honor my purchase at my original price. If they would be up front and say that, I would have no problems with them, but they are flat out lying to my face.

TankGuys

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

Yes, but that doesn't excuse buy.com from listing these processors as orderable on their website. Allowing backorders isn't going to help them fill in older orders anytime soon....

Very true, which is why we stopped taking backorders ;)

It's *possible* they may get more... I just HIGHLY doubt it.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Wow, looks like I got in on nearly the last boat. Just waiting on my uh, server motherboard too. But I hope I don't reget not throwing another $120 for dual core though.

Hope these last 146s still clock high, cause my server needs to do some pretty intensive work.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Lol, Buy.com just sent me this email.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.This is to inform you that item #202068402 from your order is no longer available on our website. To view the item please visit below mentioned page:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202068402&loc=101&sp=1

If it is no longer available why does their webpage they link to say order it now to be the first one to get it. I emailed them back and asked them that very question.

davegraham

Jun 25, 2004
they're dropping like flies mate....monarch just dropped the 144s, and i'm pretty sure that most other sites will too.

dave

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
Hmmmm, wondering what I can get for my 146 that does 2.9g @ stock voltage on fleabay.... :)

msi or epox

Jul 15, 2005
heres their terms and condition
8. Order Acceptance Policy. Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. Buy.com reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason. Buy.com further reserves the right any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item. Your order will be deemed accepted by Buy.com upon shipment of products or performance of services that you have ordered, or upon the completion of the license and delivery of a Digital Download, as indicated by our servers.

damn it they screwed me. who want to report them 2 the BetterBBureau w/ me like zepper said to in my thread!!!
- and while we're at it lets start a class action!!!!right....

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: sodcha0s
Hmmmm, wondering what I can get for my 146 that does 2.9g @ stock voltage on fleabay.... :)

If it can do 2.9 at stock, it'll easily do 3.0, which means $275+ for you on the bay.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
New email from Buy.com.

We apologize that the delivery of your order is taking longer than expected and for any inconvenience this has caused. Due to a setback from the manufacturer, item #202068402 on your order is currently on backorder.

We update our website once every 24 hours. Occasionally items run out of stock before we can update this information. Rest assured that we are working on providing more frequent updates in the future.

Unfortunately, we do not have an estimated time of arrival. We are writing to confirm that your order was cancelled on 1/31/2006 per your request. We apologize that you needed to cancel your order. However, we thank you for your patience with this past order, and hope you continue to shop at Buy.com in the future.

Now they say I canceled my order. But they want me to shop at buy.com in future. Yeah right.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
That would be alittle more than I want to pay for a cpu. The reason I ordered at Buy.com is because when I did it was around $150 shipped. Now that the price has went up so much they are canceling orders. Atleast that is why I think they are doing it.

davegraham

Jun 25, 2004
dude, you could by my 175 tray for that cost and enjoy double the core action. sorry, that's not what the market will bear at this point. :) take it from a guy who knows.

dave

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
Originally posted by: designit
this people have the 146 for $230 and available.
Or you can buy mine for $450. overclockd to 3ghz prime 24/7 @ 1.475vcore
CAB2E 0546 FPMW.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/sho...=011003000501_BH66973P.shtml&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

Heh, my Opteron 146 can do that on the stock cooler, and one better
still on the AMD boxed heatsink
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/Snow/0a733c87.jpg

this one only cost me 180, i think 450 is alittle steep for only 3 ghz :p

designit

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
and you took me seriously?
why would I want to sell this gem? not even for $1,000. ok maybe $1,000 I will.
I was joking. I looked hard to find that stepping. It?s a keeper for a good while.