AMD not eliminating ATI brand; reports false

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
hehe...

"One of the unforeseen ramifications of the AMD-ATI hookup is the new hyper-rumor-transport bus, a new technology whereby unsubstantiated rumors become fact at an alarming rate."

from AMD:

"AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry."

full story

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
So AMD isn't dropping the ATI name? gee, what a suprise.....i sure wish i coulda seen that coming.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Anyone who thought they were going to needed beaten upside their skulls.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I wonder what intel would have said if AMD had dropped the name so you could get an AMD and Intel sticker on the same computer........

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nelsieus
So we have one unknown, possibly un-legit source discrediting another.

Ok...

arstechnica has been around quite awhile... and they contacted them with specifics, and quoted their specific replies. besides, keeping the brand is much more logical.

a later story from a seperate source, it's quoted, "AMD's olive branch to ATi fan boys came straight from the company's Sunnyvale headquarters. Spokesperson Eric DeRitis told Custom PC: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands."

link

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CaiNaM
Originally posted by: Nelsieus
So we have one unknown, possibly un-legit source discrediting another.

Ok...

arstechnica has been around quite awhile... and they contacted them with specifics, and quoted their specific replies. besides, keeping the brand is much more logical.

a later story from a seperate source, it's quoted, "AMD's olive branch to ATi fan boys came straight from the company's Sunnyvale headquarters. Spokesperson Eric DeRitis told Custom PC: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands."

link
:thumbsup:

ATi and Radeon already have recognition in the graphics card market. AMD doesn't have too much name recognition (truthfully, I hadn't really known AMD until A64 got huge, but I'm not sure if Joe 6-pack knows that), and it's a smart idea keeping ATi and Radeon.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
It will be months, or even a year or more before AMD can really do anything with ATI.

I think these sites are just posting crap to get page hits.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Wreckage
It will be months, or even a year or more before AMD can really do anything with ATI.

this is the second time i agreed with you
:Q

isn't the acquisiton late this year and only IF the ATI shareholders approve?

afaik it is not a 'done deal'

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Originally posted by: apoppin

We can only hope that the ATi shareholders decline the merger but the chances of that happening are as good as me winning the lottery.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Right, so far there has been an offer with board collusion but insider ownership is marginal and there hasn't been any public info about major holder inclinations... even then it would depend upon upon clearance by agencies of at least two governments. But the irony is that since the premium is not great any shareholders willing to cash out must think ATi's future is in question and indeed ATi's board has referred to uncertainty and the necessity to either aquire or be aquired. The branding noise just seems to fall into the rosey picture scenario that the companies want to paint. Who knows, maybe there are sentimental owners that may be swayed against the buyout if they thought the ATi name was doomed. Only time will tell and even though statements made today could be true that is not to say AMD cannot change its mind on a whim in the future.

The Mailman

Aug 11, 2006
it would be stupid to get rid of the name

the name is popular, recognizable, and the logo is also recognizable

eliminating the brand would be like reverse-marketing...

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

If ATI goes away, what are we going to argue about??? :p

You are right, it's not a done deal. YET. I'm sure it will go through. However most changes will be gradual. I bet we won't see anything major until 2008.