Question AMD Motherboard/Video Card Give Driver Timeout error randomly.

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I have posted about this problem recently but have some new information:

I built a good friend a new AMD computer system using the following parts about a year and a half ago. The hardware was: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600, XPG Gammix NVME SSD 512GB Internal, XFX RX560 Video Card, and 2x8GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4 Memory. The machine ran fine for a year and then just recently started having a driver time-out problem rather frequently. I have mentioned this issue recently looking for help to troubleshoot it but have new details now. My friend said it has only happened while on the internet although he is plugged in all the time. The latest information is that he was browsing and then left the computer long enough for it to go to sleep. When he returns to a black screen he wakes it and it takes a bit and then the driver time-out error pops up. Four out of five times this happens the machine recovers. On the fifth time it does not and he has to reset it. It is driving him crazy. He thought his video card fan had failed and bought a replacement card but the fan issue was just that it only came on when necessary and he returned the now expensive card which displayed the same problems meaning the card was not the cause.

Three weeks ago he brought me the machine and I reinstalled Windows 1903 on it and then immediately upgraded to the very latest build and it when on without a hitch. I then installed all the latest AMD chipset and video drivers and ran a couple of stress tests successfully before he took it back never encountering this problem. I left it long enough during these tests, probably over a half hour, for the screen to blank and it always "woke up" and ran fine. I thought all his crashes had been hard crashes and just learned that most of the time the machine recovers. Considering MS pushed updates including drivers I am now thinking it is likely a driver problem. I have an Intel laptop that would not recover from sleep and after some research had to disable an Intel specific chipset driver which stopped that problem, likely something similar with his. So shortly I am going to go through his Windows sleep settings and see if we can change something to stop this from happening. If anyone else has any suggestions or knows of some specific problem with AMD drivers that would cause this your help would be greatly appreciated.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
AMDs website seems to suggest that it could be related to many things such as an OS issue, a driver issue, or a malfunctioning GPU issue. Although it seems like you have ruled those three possibilities out so what does that leave you with?

I'd say three things are left that might be the culprit. It's either bad ram, a bad mainboard, or a bad power supply. The ram is easy enough to test using a tool like Memtest86 the mainboard and psu not so much.