AMD & LOTR - War in the North

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
EDIT *** Going back to Cat 12.6 fixed the issue. Thanks to Thilan for providing the information for me.

Just wanted to share an issue I came accross. As most know here, I am not partial to any GPU vendor. I decided to grab a 7970 Ghz edition. Great card, no problems with the exception of a title I picked up during the steam sale.

Lord of the Rings - War in the North. First of all, the game is awesome. It is a shame that it gets such a low rating. With the lack of true co-op games out there, this seemed like it would score higher and would be more popular. Me and my son love it.

Second, once I hit Carn Dum (near the end of the game) I encountered a few consistent crashes. At first I just figured it was a glitch, maybe some dust in the fan, maybe my clocks are too high... So, I cleaned it out, rebooted. Same thing. About every 10 seconds on the level or so, I get the AMD Display Driver stopped responding, screen goes blank for 5 seconds and comes back and the game runs fine for another 10 seconds, rinse repeat. However, it will eventually crash... Addtionally, when this happens any network client is kicked out of the game.

So, I updated to the latest drivers, turned down all the settings. Underclocked graphics card and CPU, still the problem did not get any better. Frustrated, I eventually made it past the section of the game that causes this (there are other sections, but it seems random and non repeatable) and was able to beat the game with no more problems.

So, I decided to look this up and found that basically a ton of people (mainly with AMD/ATI) have this issue and it appears to be only AMD/ATI based graphics cards. Many frustrated users such as myself experience this game-breaking bug. Some even RMA'd their graphics cards only to receive a new one and have the same issue.

So, Snowblind said it the issue with AMD and forwarded the issue to their driver team, but a forum user posted that they contacted AMD and said nothing was in the works and they were not aware of any issues. So Snowblind (dev) points the finger and AMD and AMD states they don't even know there is an issue with it.

TLDR - If you have an AMD card, better look elsewhere, this game won't play well for you. I am thinking about putting my 480 GTX back in my rig until I have finished playing this game. Which may be a while. And I wouldn't expect a fix, both Snowblind and AMD were made aware of this issue back in 2011... and the official response by Snowblind is this is an AMD issue and that was statement was made in March of 2012. Bummer. My 7970 is flawless in every other game I play.

Although I don't write drivers, it is my opinion that the issue is with AMD, and not the gave dev. 'AMD Driver Stopped Responding' seems to be point to AMD, IMO.

-Carm Dum = 5 minute section (ends up being 20 minutes with all the suttering) you may never get past because if the display driver stops responding, you have (on my system) a 10% chance to crash the game itself, where it will set you back to your first waypoint, thus... You might not ever get past Carn Dum.

-This will also happen randomly through other areas of the game, but it is not generally repeatable and pretty rare.

** Taking bets on who will be the first person to say "I have play this game hundreds of hours on my AMD 7970Ghz with no issues, must be your computer" ** :D - Google War In the North Suttering AMD or ATI and find the wealth of information regarding the topic....

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
It is interesting that you mentioned this game...I assumed most people would not play. I did though cause I"m a LotR fan. It was a good game but the dialogue from the dwarf (when not playing as him) was horrendous. The dialogue in general was not great.

Anyway, I was playing with my 7950 and never had a consistent crashing issue. Only time it did crash for me was when my OC at 1100MHz was a bit unstable. Upped the voltage and never crashed on me again. I was using 12.6 drivers though, maybe that had something to do with it.

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
It is interesting that you mentioned this game...I assumed most people would not play. I did though cause I"m a LotR fan. It was a good game but the dialogue from the dwarf (when not playing as him) was horrendous. The dialogue in general was not great.

Anyway, I was playing with my 7950 and never had a consistent crashing issue. Only time it did crash for me was when my OC at 1100MHz was a bit unstable. Upped the voltage and never crashed on me again. I was using 12.6 drivers though, maybe that had something to do with it.

Interesting, I may try and find those drivers and try them. I have tried a few different ones, but never went that far back. Is there a good reliable site that has older AMD drivers?

I found this thread too, on the steam forums. I'll be giving this a try too. I didn't notice that it even had a fullscreen(windowed) option. I prefer that anyway... Then again, maybe I already set it to that without knowing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592116

Last edited:

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
** Taking bets on who will be the first person to say "I have play this game hundreds of hours on my AMD 7970Ghz with no issues, must be your computer" ** :D - Google War In the North Suttering AMD or ATI and find the wealth of information regarding the topic....

I have played this game for zero hours on my gtx680 with no issues, must be your computer.

It is not a problem that is limited to your game.
It is not a problem that is limited to AMD videocards.

This is a sticky from the official nVidia drivers-subforum.

Don't ask me what the cause of your problem is. I don't know. I'm not experiencing this problem on my computer. A friend of mine (with a gtx560ti) does. And so do many others.

Two million hits in google.
Lots of different solutions. Cleaning out dust. Replacing PSUs. Spreading powercables from PSUs that have 2 rails. Registry hack. Replacing RAM. All kinds of things.
Good luck.

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have played this game for zero hours on my gtx680 with no issues, must be your computer.

It is not a problem that is limited to your game.
It is not a problem that is limited to AMD videocards.

This is a sticky from the official nVidia drivers-subforum.

Don't ask me what the cause of your problem is. I don't know. I'm not experiencing this problem on my computer. A friend of mine (with a gtx560ti) does. And so do many others.

Two million hits in google.
Lots of different solutions. Cleaning out dust. Replacing PSUs. Spreading powercables from PSUs that have 2 rails. Registry hack. Replacing RAM. All kinds of things.
Good luck.

In regards to TDR, I am aware it is not game specific, nor is it vendor specific. However, in regards to WiTN, the overwhelming majority of issues reported are users with AMD/ATI. Probably 9 out of 10 reports.

I owned G80. I know all about the TDR issues they have initally. Most TDR's actually happen as a result of overclocking in some form. I can reproduce TDR on any GPU I owned by clocking it much higher than it should be. But then I can make them dissapear by underclocking or setting back to default clocks when that is the culpret. In this case, it isn't an issue of overclocking. Something else is causing this... My system is up to spec, and play a multitude of games with no issues. In fact, this is the *only* game right now that doesn't work... If Far Cry 3 can't crash my card, I highly doubt WiTN wuld... :D

Last edited:

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
Interesting, I may try and find those drivers and try them. I have tried a few different ones, but never went that far back. Is there a good reliable site that has older AMD drivers?

The AMD site is pretty good about older drivers, IMO:

For Windows 7 32bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx
For Windows 7 64bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

For other OS's, go to the AMD site, click on Support and Drivers, then, in the "Get AMD Drivers" corner, click find your driver, then input the right values under the drop-down menus (Select the type of system/Select the product family/Select your product/Select the supported operating system that you have) then, "see results" will display the latest recommended release...

On that page with the recommended version you will find a link in the lower right titled "Previous Drivers and Software" which will display previous versions for whatever OS you previously selected in Step 4.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The AMD site is pretty good about older drivers, IMO:

For Windows 7 32bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx
For Windows 7 64bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

For other OS's, go to the AMD site, click on Support and Drivers, then, in the "Get AMD Drivers" corner, click find your driver, then input the right values under the drop-down menus (Select the type of system/Select the product family/Select your product/Select the supported operating system that you have) then, "see results" will display the latest recommended release...

On that page with the recommended version you will find a link in the lower right titled "Previous Drivers and Software" which will display previous versions for whatever OS you previously selected in Step 4.

Thanks a bunch. I had a lot of difficulty finding the drivers on AMD's website. But part of that was my fault, because I was selecting the 7XXX series, when I had to select the HD series first... hehe, I guess they thought I wanted the REAL OLD stuff.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Problem solved. Thilan mentioned he played the game using 12.6 catalyst drivers. Went completely through Carn Dum with no issues what-so-ever once I uninstalled 12.11 and install 12.6. I may be slightly annoyed that I can't use the newest performance cats, but I'll take that over having to use my 480 any day of the week.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Problem solved. Thilan mentioned he played the game using 12.6 catalyst drivers. Went completely through Carn Dum with no issues what-so-ever once I uninstalled 12.11 and install 12.6. I may be slightly annoyed that I can't use the newest performance cats, but I'll take that over having to use my 480 any day of the week.

Glad it worked out for you. That's a stupid issue though if it was fine in older drivers but crops up in newer ones...i was ignorant of it since I was pootling along with the old drivers, but I'm glad you brought it up.