AMD launches Zen+ 12nm Ryzen and X470 motherboards

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dasa2

Nov 22, 2014
some mb reviews were requested
https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_rog_strix_x470-f_gaming_review/1
17130828101l.jpg

17132211821l.jpg

Reactions: lightmanek

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What does “diffused” mean in chip manufacturing?
I would assume that refers to the actual silicon etching and mask / resist steps, to make the silicon dies. The "made in", refers to taking those fabbed silicon dies, and doing assembly / test. They are mounted on a PCB, tested, and binned, and then the heatspreader is attached and laser-etch with the model number, product codes, lot serial number, branding, etc.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think this is the first Ryzen CPU I would actually be fairly happy having in my rig. They improved gaming performance enough for me to just about look past it. The only thing bothering me still are the lower overclocks and the high voltage needed. Its not even so much the lower clocks because my 6800K is stuck at 4.2, but the voltage is acceptable at around 1.3v. The 2700X needs like 1.4+ for that voltage? I'd never run a chip with that much voltage. That's insane and just begging for it to degrade in like 18 months or something.
At this price and performance the 2700X is really starting to get tempting. If it was just that little bit better in terms of clocks and voltage, I'd likely be selling my stuff and buying one right now. I want 8 good cores fore my gaming rig. They are so close! So CLOSE!

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I think this is the first Ryzen CPU I would actually be fairly happy having in my rig. They improved gaming performance enough for me to just about look past it. The only thing bothering me still are the lower overclocks and the high voltage needed. Its not even so much the lower clocks because my 6800K is stuck at 4.2, but the voltage is acceptable at around 1.3v. The 2700X needs like 1.4+ for that voltage? I'd never run a chip with that much voltage. That's insane and just begging for it to degrade in like 18 months or something.
At this price and performance the 2700X is really starting to get tempting. If it was just that little bit better in terms of clocks and voltage, I'd likely be selling my stuff and buying one right now. I want 8 good cores fore my gaming rig. They are so close! So CLOSE!

Honestly, I wouldn't even overclock the 2700x. What's the point. You will lose out on the 4.35 single core boost

Reactions: moonbogg

IllogicalGlory

Mar 8, 2013
From the Anand tech review

Again I don’t want to turn this into P&N, I’m moderately concerned about Chinese chips in machines. I know it’s nearly unavoidable but I’d like to mitigate it as much as reasonably possible.
What does “diffused” mean in chip manufacturing?
Diffusion is the step of implanting the active semiconductor layers (the source and drain of the FETs) into the silicon substrate. If it was diffused in the USA, everything active on the die itself was fabbed in the USA.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
it seems that CPUs with more than 4 cores suffer significant performance degradation in DX12 compared to running in DX11.

When using a NV GPU. Yes I remember that now that in general at least some time back NVs DX12 implementation stopped scaling beyond 4 cores.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, I wouldn't even overclock the 2700x. What's the point. You will lose out on the 4.35 single core boost

I experimented with overclocking my R5 1600 CPU, but honestly, it felt faster, if I left it at stock, and let it "boost" or whatever it does. Locking it at 3.80Ghz, or trying to, seemed to cause some thing to run notably slower.

Reactions: Gideon

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It's weird, but now is the time when you don't want to get excited about OCing an AMD chip, and you love it. What a time to be alive!

By the way....are you still due for eating a box, or not? I forget how that one was supposed to go? :D .....or I guess that only applied to claims made about Zen 1?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It's weird, but now is the time when you don't want to get excited about OCing an AMD chip, and you love it. What a time to be alive!

By the way....are you still due for eating a box, or not? I forget how that one was supposed to go? :D .....or I guess that only applied to claims made about Zen 1?

I don't understand. I do want to get excited about overclocking an AMD chip. The problem is they don't overclock at all basically. Also, I don't love it. I am disappointed because I can't overclock one to a sufficient level. Now that I've straightened all that out, let me address your food comment. I'm not like that anymore, Zin. I'm rehabilitated now and eating things that aren't human food would be old behavior, and that was like 12 months ago so I'd never do anything like that again. But I do got a handful of snack crickets that sais Intel responds with an overpriced 8 core within 6 months.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010

Unless you are anal about 200MHz, the 2700X is capable of 4GHz at *much* lower voltages: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory

To this end, we found that, at a given frequency of 4.0GHz, our R7 2700X held stable at 1.175V input at LLC level 4, which equated to 1.162V VCore at SVI2 TFN. The result was stability in Blender and Prime95 with torturous FFTs, while measuring at about 129W power consumption in Blender.

I feel this is probably the biggest benefit (along with better cache/RAM latencies) compared to gen 1 Ryzen - the ability to run at 4GHz at much lower voltages. I get it, you don't want to keep downgrading your clockspeed after your 3930K and now 6800K. But does 200MHz really make that much difference? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test, but your subconscious will probably keep nagging away at you that you're giving up extra clockspeed :p I think that would be the biggest issue here.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010

Yeah, that was my one major disappointment about this launch - that it is practically pointless to overclock gen 2 Ryzen since... they are practically overclocked out of the box. When you are getting gains of <5% from overclocking, plus losing out about 100MHz on single core turbo, that is pretty sad. I get that XFR/PB2 means that CPUs are getting 'smarter', but maybe I'm just old school and prefer manually tuning a CPU, and thats practically pointless with gen 2 Ryzen, unless you get the non X SKUs which are clocked low enough to make overclocking somewhat worthwhile.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Unless you are anal about 200MHz, the 2700X is capable of 4GHz at *much* lower voltages: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory

To this end, we found that, at a given frequency of 4.0GHz, our R7 2700X held stable at 1.175V input at LLC level 4, which equated to 1.162V VCore at SVI2 TFN. The result was stability in Blender and Prime95 with torturous FFTs, while measuring at about 129W power consumption in Blender.

I feel this is probably the biggest benefit (along with better cache/RAM latencies) compared to gen 1 Ryzen - the ability to run at 4GHz at much lower voltages. I get it, you don't want to keep downgrading your clockspeed after your 3930K and now 6800K. But does 200MHz really make that much difference? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test, but your subconscious will probably keep nagging away at you that you're giving up extra clockspeed :p I think that would be the biggest issue here.

That is the only issue here, but it can't be understated because its an absolute tragedy. Oh Christ, alright, its nothing like a tragedy, but I like my clock speed, you know? Its an enthusiast thing, that's all it is. Its still a big deal though because I like the pride of ownership. Although having 8 nice cores at a low voltage like that would also be nice. Actually, I'm sorry. I need 8 cores at no less than 4.6ghz. That's what it will take and nothing less will do. Not a single Megahertz less. Not. One. Less.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
That is the only issue here, but it can't be understated because its an absolute tragedy. Oh Christ, alright, its nothing like a tragedy, but I like my clock speed, you know? Its an enthusiast thing, that's all it is. Its still a big deal though because I like the pride of ownership. Although having 8 nice cores at a low voltage like that would also be nice. Actually, I'm sorry. I need 8 cores at no less than 4.6ghz. That's what it will take and nothing less will do. Not a single Megahertz less. Not. One. Less.

Haha I get it... which is why I mentioned the subconscious thing - you *know* that you're not at the clockspeed level that you want, though ultimately what really matters is end performance... 4.6GHz 8 cores... you're looking at next gen pal, and even then its no guarantee.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011

Then maybe, you will get better chance with TR2, especially seeing guru3d and other reviewer managed to 4,4 ghz.

And really why settle on 8 core ? 16 core or go home.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999

Welp, time to get one then. 6000Mhz on LN2 :) (You didn't say HOW, just 4.6Ghz). 5798.5Mhz on all cores.

https://youtu.be/ogYess5WelY?t=8m27s

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
speaking of overclocking, my 4790k was a dud. I couldn't get 100 MHz over boost with a custom loop.

pete2s

Oct 1, 2009
Probably. From the Google translate of Hardware BG's review, "Keep in mind that turning off HPET is likely to increase AMD performance by a few percent, but unfortunately I did not have the physical ability to test them."