AMD K6-3 450+ in an ASUS P5ab does it work?

bluebal

Dec 20, 2000
I was previously running an AMD K6-2 500 in an ASUS P5ab motherboard and desided to upgrade to an AMD K6-3 450+. This is the chip based on the 18 Micron technology and has a core voltage of 2.0 volts and an I/O voltage of 3.3. The ASUS motherboard states that it runs AMD K6-3 chips, however they are the 25 Micron chips which run at 2.4 volts. I set the motherbord up as though it was a 25 Micron chip and then set the voltage to 2.0 volts. The board does not post. Did anyone try this combination and if so what are the settings. If these items are not compatible please let me know as I have a vender waiting for a return if I can't get it to work. Thank you for you help. bluebal@netzero.net

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000
Make sure you have the latest bios, you might need a beta one if there is one. I am using that cpu in a FIC PA2013 board at 550mhz, it overclocks well with no special cooling needed.

Amaretto747

Dec 15, 2000
Yeah, you have to use the 1011 beta bios from Asus, it takes a while to find it in their site, but it's there, the voltage for the K63+450 is 1.8 or something and the Asus P5A-B supports that. I personally had the same mobo/Cpu combination before and w/ a good HSF I was able to overclock it to 600, I was happy w/ it till I bought a Radeon and found out that they're incompatible so I went ahead and bought a new mobo/duron. Just remember to change the voltage from 2.4 to the spec written on the back of the CPU or there's a good chance you'll burn it, if you don't have the 1011 beta bios, the CPU won't be recognize and all it's features, like the Write Allocate, etc. would be turned off and there is a considerable performance hit.

Amaretto747

Dec 15, 2000
By the way, if you're using the older bios, it should still boot but the cpu won't be recognized as a K63+, sometimes it would display -MMX or something. So you might want to check if the CPU isn't dead since the board won't boot, it should boot even when using an old bios, any old bios.

tlo

Dec 19, 2000
Good question, the K6III was a sweet processor. I was just looking to find out if the + would work on an EPOX MVP3G5, with 2M cache? I don't have the URL but I saw a great page on the K6III+ and people who had success with it on various MB.