AMD K6-2 Help

Makoto

Jul 21, 2000
I have a retail AMD K6-2 cpu, and the heatsink that came with it is glued on to the cpu. I was thinking about overclocking, but I can't until I get this damn thing off. What's the safest way to get this heatsink and fan off my cpu?

BurntKooshie

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
are you sure its glued on? Many heatsinks come with a thermal pad, and some of those "melt on" fairly tough.... I got one off by letting the CPU run for awhile, then turning it off, and the thermal pad was a bit "looser" because of the heat, so I could twist back and forth GENTLY a little at a time for it to come off.

You are sure you have the brackets off? (When i first changed m socket 7 CPU, i was confused as heck as to how to get that bracket off....)

Caitiff

Feb 28, 2000
BurntKooshie
He may be right. I have 2 K6-2 350's that have the hs/fan glued one. The fan sticker even has the voltage specs and 'k6-2 350' stamped on it. Must have been an OEM processor. To get it off, you gotta have a set of n*ts. I've heard some people using the freezing method, then prying w/ a very sharp, stiff blade between the silver cap and the hs. The other camp states that it's best to heat that sucker up, and do the same thing. Dunno which camp is right, I haven't got the n*ts to try it yet. :p