AMD just lost Dreamworks

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
The move to Intel was based on the capabilities of two forthcoming Intel chips
Nehalem and something? (Larrabee?) Or do they mean faster Core 2 chips.

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo

For the movie to be released next year, it must means Penryn.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Roy2001

I don't see the connection between the movie timeline and an a priori preclusion of of this deal involving Nehalems.

These high-profile socket wins are exactly the stuff you want showcase your leading edge tech on, not lagging edge.

No way Intel would let this opportunity take flight with Penryn, even if dreamworks merely wanted Penryn, Intel would make it a priority to juice the deal to showcase Nehalem.

Now whether they juiced it even further and are going to roll Larrabee into the deal would be the only question on my mind. The opportunity is there.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
no surprise there. Intel cores' been doing very well in that area since it's intro. Phenoms does little to catch up. Probably have to get a new architecture for AMD to compete in 3d renderings.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
DreamWorks will use Larrabee to create its first stereoscopic 3D film called Monsters vs. Aliens, which is slated for a March 2009 release

Larrabee is expected to be introduced in the second half of 2009.

Sure wish TG Daily would make up their mind

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: AmberClad
The Intel rep says that the two things being referred to are Nehalem and Larrabee.

and you guys are questioning this?

LOL...

Didnt we just show you a 2.93 neha will equal out a 3.6ghz yorkfield?

If that doesnt make you happy, i dont know what will.

Amber look at my sig, the girl you named is gone.
Freya got 470fsb on a 780i stable, and without XS voltage.
That itself was worth the merit of taking erinyes offline for good.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Dreamworks needs something - I doubt even Intel can save 'em.

Quick! ... other than Shrek name a recent BIG Dreamworks picture or animation :) (It's not WALL-E, it's ... it's ...)

Paramount distribution of Dreamworks stuff ends this year and the rumahs have them trying to raise $2bil to go independent.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
AMD also lost me in terms of processors...but I still bought an AMD HD4850 so I guess they'll still live.

harpoon84

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
Not that surprising if Nehalem is as good as the previews suggest it is. I wonder if Intel is giving them away for free to Dreamworks and using it purely as a PR/marketing exercise?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: harpoon84
Not that surprising if Nehalem is as good as the previews suggest it is. I wonder if Intel is giving them away for free to Dreamworks and using it purely as a PR/marketing exercise?

For those big server farms the CPU's are actually a minor percentage of the overall system costs. Intel could give away the CPU's for free and Dreamworks could still be paying millions of dollars for the rest of the hardware and network fabric.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Quick! ... other than Shrek name a recent BIG Dreamworks picture or animation :) (It's not WALL-E, it's ... it's ...)

Paramount distribution of Dreamworks stuff ends this year and the rumahs have them trying to raise $2bil to go independent.

There is so much wrong with your comments it's difficult to know where to start.

How about Kung Fu Panda, $200M in four weeks?

Dreamworks is doing just fine, unlike AMD. Unless you think losing high profile customers to the competition is a good thing.

Dreamworks is already independent, so I don't know how they "go independent". Since they are publicly traded, perhaps you meant take them private? Even if they somehow needed $2B, the founders could cough that up.
Speilberg is worth $3B.
Geffen is worth $4.4B
Katzenburg is worth an even $1B

Anyway, Dreamworks made $26M profit last quarter on sales of $156M. Would you like to go back to the prior quarter when they made $94M?

How do those numbers compare to your beloved AMD?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

Intel's code-named Nehalem processor for high-end workstations will have up to eight processor cores, while its Larrabee server processor will have between 10 and 100, said Intel spokesman Nick Knupffer. Those are the two chips DreamWorks has agreed to buy.

Intel plans to use DreamWorks Animation as a test site for its future visual computing products, Knupffer said. Nehalem will be launched commercially by the end of the year, while Larrabee will launch in 2009 or 2010, he said.

Link

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

There is so much wrong with your comments it's difficult to know where to start.

Dreamworks is doing just fine, unlike AMD. Unless you think losing high profile customers to the competition is a good thing.

Dreamworks is already independent, so I don't know how they "go independent". Since they are publicly traded, perhaps you meant take them private? Even if they somehow needed $2B, the founders could cough that up.
Speilberg is worth $3B.
Geffen is worth $4.4B
Katzenburg is worth an even $1B

Anyway, Dreamworks made $26M profit last quarter on sales of $156M. Would you like to go back to the prior quarter when they made $94M?

How do those numbers compare to your beloved AMD?

Hey, Bud ... Are you baiting me? You've nuked the fridge on this one. You should honor the adage, "If you don't have anything intelligent to say, keep your mouth shut."

Do you know how you make a little money in the movie business? You start with a lot ... :p

The reason that Spielberg, Geffen & Katzenberg have so much money is that they are smart enough to know better than to put their own money into movie production and promotion. And guess what? Films are financed.

DWA borrows money to make films. Look at the arrangement as a 'construction loan'. And it ain't from a bank. You have a lump sum payment upfront which is typically called the 'front end'. Subsequent lump sums are made at intervals some of which may be timed and others based upon the rate of completion all of which is defined in a complex contractual arrangement.

The below comment is uncalled for. If it keeps up you will be getting a vacation
Markfw900 Anandtech moderator

Let met correct your thinking and ignorance. Apparently you are implying that because Kung Fu Panda made $200mil that means DWA made $200mil. BUZZZZ. That would be incorrect. I'd be hard pressed (and I'm guessing now) to say DWA has even made 10% of that at this point. And why would that be?

Who do you think is responsible for financing, advertising, marketing, distribution, etc., ad naseum? That would be PARAMOUNT. And you better believe that Paramount got paid ... with interest.

Just a little heads up for you. Paramount spent at least $150 million to promote Indiana Jones and most film promotions range from $70 to $100 million. I don't know how much Paramount spent on Kung Fu Panda but I do know that Shrek II advertising and promotions was around $70 million. Depending upon the 'deal' unless you have some insider knowledge of the contractual arrangements I'd say this would generally apply to Kung Fu Panda.

An another thing we can't be sure of is the cost of production. Making a film of this genre can cost anywhere from $70 million to $100 million. This cost is financed with capital from Paramount. It's pretty safe to say that the cost of production and promotion is in the $150 million range. And this is before post production costs, distribution, and theatre profits.

Dreamworks made $26M profit last quarter on sales of $156M. Would you like to go back to the prior quarter when they made $94M?

What's your point, Pynaz? In the two quarters previous to that they made $47 million and $62 million - or $230 million over the last 12 months. DWA makes 2 films a year. As demonstrated, with production and promotion (without distribution!) 2 films a year will cost at least $300 million.

Now ... to the point of my comment (upon which you clearly had no clue). DWA is financed and supported by Paramount. Paramount promotes DWA product and distributes their content through their world-wide channels. (The ultimate number of 12,000 screens sticks in my mind but that may not be correct.) At the end of 2008, the arrangements for financing and distribution between Paramount and DWA will cease to exist. Now that you have learned that little tidbit, let's visit the leading industry publication and fish wrap ...

DreamWorks considers indie future
Two scenarios emerging for company's rebirth
June 25, 2008

The Associated Press reported this week out of India that DreamWorks is looking to raise as much as $2 billion in equity and debt from Reliance and other sources to fund its return to indie production.

This is the stuff of which Hollywood folklore is made. Is it just a bargaining chip? Will Spielberg cut his own deal with Universal? Will Paramount fight to retain its intellectual property from DWA in a final breakup? Who's the wildcard? News Corp? What about the Warner Companies? Wow! That would be a play!

Maybe you should pay more attention. You probably think that DWA owns the 'Franchise' - Shrek. Nope. That would be Paramount/Viacom.

If they do go independent and drop a $150 million bomb -which they are quite capable of doing - their stock will be lower than AMD. (And the Hollywood Vultures will be circling to pick at the remains ...)

Any more questions?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Funny, I look up Dreamworks and see them listed as the distributer for 49 movies.

Me thinks you need to get your info from a more reliable source than a tabloid.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Dont make Mark bust out a kung Fu panda on you guys!

Lets be social, and keep the baiting and flaming out of this please.

This isnt PnN.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Funny, I look up Dreamworks and see them listed as the distributer for 49 movies.

Me thinks you need to get your info from a more reliable source than a tabloid.

Distribution deals are nice, but they aren't the big bucks...
SKG has been hurting for awhile now (pick up a a few copies of Hollywood Reporter or Variety if you're interested), but certainly not irretrievably so.
I think the Paramount deal will probably be ending soon (along with all of those distribution deals), but SKG will end up with a new studio before the ink dries...David Geffen is one of the best deal makers in town.

That said, it all has nothing to do with this announcement...
This was a paid advertisement from Intel (as was the last announcement from AMD), and nobody in Dreamworks actually cares what platform they are working on.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: aigomorla
Dont make Mark bust out a kung Fu panda on you guys!

Lets be social, and keep the baiting and flaming out of this please.

This isnt PnN.

Thanks aigo

I put a warning in one of the above posts... The use of the word "ignorance" in that context is a personal attack..These are not tolerated.

Enough said ?

Difference of opinion is allowed, calling people ignorant is NOT allowed.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
This was a paid advertisement from Intel (as was the last announcement from AMD), and nobody in Dreamworks actually cares what platform they are working on.

According to Katenburg you are incorrect.

"Our artists, to a large degree, actually work blind," DreamWorks Animation Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "They send it out and have to wait overnight to actually see what they've done."

"The impact of these new chipsets is that it will go from overnight to hours to minutes"

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

"Our artists, to a large degree, actually work blind," DreamWorks Animation Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "They send it out and have to wait overnight to actually see what they've done."

"The impact of these new chipsets is that it will go from overnight to hours to minutes"

And the same effect would occur if they had built out the existing systems...
Don't let the PR people fool you, these are advertisements (and it appears that they are effective too).

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Viditor

Don't let the PR people fool you, these are advertisements (and it appears that they are effective too).

No actually it's not the same effect. Because Intel is providing Larabee and the software engeneers to convert Dreamworks proprietary tools to run on it. They are converting their toolset to run AVX. That's an incentive AMD can't provide. And it's a one way trip, once they are running on Larabee and AVX they are essentially locked into that platform.

They are talking about a 40x performace increase, nothing they could get by "building out" their current farm.

From here on out, every Dreamworks film will have an Intel advertisment in it.

That is a big deal.

You should really study this some more.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Viditor

No actually it's not the same effect. Because Intel is providing Larabee and the software engeneers to convert Dreamworks proprietary tools to run on it. They are converting their toolset to run AVX. That's an incentive AMD can't provide. And it's a one way trip, once they are running on Larabee and AVX they are essentially locked into that platform.

They are talking about a 40x performace increase, nothing they could get by "building out" their current farm.

From here on out, every Dreamworks film will have an Intel advertisment in it.

That is a big deal.

You should really study this some more.

Phynaz, you are speaking about my profession...I have worked for or done consulting for every major Network and studio in the US and several others throughout the world.
My handle Viditor stands for video+editor...that was my job two decades ago when I started doing consulting for the manufacturers of production and post-production equipment (BTW, that INCLUDES Avid).

Obviously SKG isn't "locked in" to AVX as a platform, if for no other reason than it's only a type of extension for a platform (AVX stands for Avid Extensions). Also, AVX easily moves into other platforms besides Avid.
Also, I am highly dubious of Intel's engineer's ability to convert anything in AVX space...
1. They have the worst record in high-end graphics of any major competitor in the space
2. Most of the guys who can write those tools already work for either Lucas, SKG, or Disney.

BTW, you might try writing them and finding out what "40x performace increase" actually means...since they are close to real time rendering in uncompressed 2k already, a 40x increase seems a bit silly.

Edit:If you're curious as to how long I've been in the industry, keep in mind that I cut my teeth on a Quantel Mirage (which we programmed in Pascal!) and quad tape...

Roy2001

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: Roy2001

I don't see the connection between the movie timeline and an a priori preclusion of of this deal involving Nehalems.

Intel just has some ES for Nehalem and Larrabee is still on paper, no silicon yet. How can they use these 2 products?