Info AMD is not your friend !!!

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think the title should rather be "your friends at AMD left years ago".

Computerbase wrote it well (Deepl translation):

"On 5 November 2020, AMD released the Zen 3 processors onto the market; today, 488 days later, the Threadripper is finally available. Launched in 2017 as a flagship project for the HEDT segment, nothing remains of it now. The driving forces behind the project at the beginning have been gone for years, Jim Anderson left the company in 2018 to become CEO at Lattice Semiconductor and James Prior went to SiFive. What remains are the pre-planned remnants of the HEDT idea, albeit a pitiful one in the last generation. High End Desktop (HEDT) is thus dead for the time being.

The workstation market, on the other hand, is alive and growing tremendously, AMD explains. AMD has over 300 customers who rely on the platform, from a dozen car manufacturers to cloud providers and the software and gaming industry. This clientele is a more high-profile one than the small customer base for HEDT processors would be, which is why AMD's focus has shifted to this segment.
"

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The fact that threadripper is now an OEM product does not mean "your friends at AMD left years ago". I have a 1950x and a 5950x. The 5950x crushes it. I have a 2970wx and 2 2990wx. If you want that platform, you can still buy it, and it has all the lanes and IO you want. So you can buy the 16 cores cheaper, you can buy even more cores and lots of IO pretty inexpensive , you can buy a 3995wx I think thats it) with 64 fact core and a motherboard at less than EPYC prices, and now you can buy (from an OEM) the latest.

So what you you mean AMD left. Just because their pricing and availability is not what you like, and you ignore all the other AMD offers (which Intel does not offer at any price), don't whine.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They never were your friend. No company ever is. They're a business and operate like one to make money. If AMD had extra chips to sell directly to consumers they would, but just because they want your money, not because they're your friend. But they don't and it's more profitable for them to sell what supply they have to the OEMs.

The argument that AMD is no longer anyone's friend is also stupid because it's one sided. How many AMD products was LTT buying when AMD wasn't making CPUs that people want so much that there aren't enough chips to go around? Was LTT a good friend to AMD back then? Of course it sounds stupid to think LTT owes any company their business.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
They never were your friend. No company ever is. They're a business and operate like one to make money. If AMD had extra chips to sell directly to consumers they would, but just because they want your money, not because they're your friend. But they don't and it's more profitable for them to sell what supply they have to the OEMs.

The argument that AMD is no longer anyone's friend is also stupid because it's one sided. How many AMD products was LTT buying when AMD wasn't making CPUs that people want so much that there aren't enough chips to go around? Was LTT a good friend to AMD back then? Of course it sounds stupid to think LTT owes any company their business.
Yeah, I don't know why people need to humanize companies like this... When AMD is competitive and offers a product with better bang for buck than their competition, people start associating it with AMD being the "good guy", and then when it's not the case they flip the script and hate on the same company. Maybe if people didn't associate companies as their "friends" to begin with, they would not feel so emotionally attacked when said company does things they don't like.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Tell me about that, every time that i said something that was even slightly against AMD i was getting attacked. Its good that people realise that companies arent your friend, there are profits to be made, otherwise there is no company.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
In response to Linus, yes, we got 16 core desktop chips. But then, the 1800X gave us 8 core desktop chips, at half the price of Intel's. We still got Threadripper. And after the 1800, we sort of expected 16 cores on the desktop, and we sort of also expected 32 cores of Zen2 in TR, and we got both of those. So, the 5950X did something that the 3950X didn't? Do you know why the concept of HEDT is kind of dead? It's because there's no one offering one for sale! You can't use "no one has offered one for sale" as an explanation of why no one is offering one for sale. Two demerits. I can use the same arguments Linus presents and say that the 5950X shouldn't have been sold because that whole market should have been Threadripper's to begin with.
Maybe I should sue AMD :roll-eyes:

I think it's clear that AMD could be selling into more markets than it is, and it has prioritized desktop and server. On the days where my pessimism wins, I believe moinmoin -- it's dead. On my optimistic days I believe the pent-up demand will eventually find fulfillment. Time will tell.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
In response to Linus, yes, we got 16 core desktop chips. But then, the 1800X gave us 8 core desktop chips, at half the price of Intel's. We still got Threadripper. And after the 1800, we sort of expected 16 cores on the desktop, and we sort of also expected 32 cores of Zen2 in TR, and we got both of those. So, the 5950X did something that the 3950X didn't? Do you know why the concept of HEDT is kind of dead? It's because there's no one offering one for sale! You can't use "no one has offered one for sale" as an explanation of why no one is offering one for sale. Two demerits. I can use the same arguments Linus presents and say that the 5950X shouldn't have been sold because that whole market should have been Threadripper's to begin with.
Maybe I should sue AMD :roll-eyes:

I think it's clear that AMD could be selling into more markets than it is, and it has prioritized desktop and server. On the days where my pessimism wins, I believe moinmoin -- it's dead. On my optimistic days I believe the pent-up demand will eventually find fulfillment. Time will tell.
61 different threadrippers on sale at newegg. You can't buy one ?? You mean the new 5000 series that is OEM only ?

Picky, pickey ......

Reactions: Drazick

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am just disappointed that TRX40 platform only saw a single generation of CPUs. I am aware AMD never made a promise unlike AM4 but I honestly thought we would see Zen 3 based non-pro threadrippers before going EoL.
We saw 2 generations(1900,1920,1950x, and 2970wx,2990wx and I am sure I forgot some).. Now a 3rd, just not in DIY

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
We saw 2 generations(1900,1920,1950x, and 2970wx,2990wx and I am sure I forgot some).. Now a 3rd, just not in DIY

No, They are for TRX4 x399 platform and they weren't compatible with Zen 2 based threadrippers. TRX40 should be considered as a different generation platform and most likely we are only going to see a single generation of CPU on it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
No, They are for TRX4 x399 platform and they weren't compatible with Zen 2 based threadrippers. TRX40 should be considered as a different generation platform and most likely we are only going to see a single generation of CPU on it.
You say in your sig you have a 3970x threadripper. That is another generation , right ?

Looking up, I now see what you mean. The 3000 threadrippers are the only generation for strx4.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
You say in your sig you have a 3970x threadripper. That is another generation , right ?

Looking up, I now see what you mean. The 3000 threadrippers are the only generation for strx4.

Yeah, my previous rig was 1950x threadripper so I am pretty sure 3970x is another generation since I also had to get a new motherboard :).
I might look at Sapphire Rapids based HEDT platform later this year since it looks like it is end of the road for TRX40.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah, my previous rig was 1950x threadripper so I am pretty sure 3970x is another generation since I also had to get a new motherboard :).
I might look at Sapphire Rapids based HEDT platform later this year since it looks like it is end of the road for TRX40.
Good chance what you already have will beat Sapphire Rapids.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Tell me about that, every time that i said something that was even slightly against AMD i was getting attacked.

When you say things that are factually incorrect, expect people to tell you so. And try not to misconstrue that as an "attack".

I really don't expect Zen 2 based 32-core will touch even 28-core Golden Cove based HEDT processor.

It won't. Especially with the funky CCD layout on that generation of Threadripper.