AMD is back in black

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Street sure didn't like these results, stock price is down 7%.

Next time I'm going with my gut and selling before earnings.

Very dicey to ride thru earnings announcements, that's like holding your speculative positions open over the weekend. Not always gonna bite you, but when it does you know with hindsight that you should have known better.

There are a few companies though that are better than flipping a coin when they announce earnings as to whether its going to gap up or down. Nokia used to be one of them, and I swear Templeton of TI did it on purpose, he'd religiously give below expectation guidance for future quarter so the damn stock would nearly always gap down on earnings announcement.

Anyways I never hold thru earnings announcement anymore unless I really feel like just gambling, putting it all on red or all on black is about as equally profitable.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
OCguy I'm not entirely following the shellgame but somehow by selling chips to themselves cheaply (GF selling chips/wafers to AMD cheaply) it makes the CPU business side of AMD Product company post higher net profits while pushing down the revenue (and hence increasing the losses) of the GlobalFoundries portion of the AMD Consolidated financials.

To me it seems very reminiscent of that good old "internal customer double-billing" shenanigans that went on during the dot-com bubble earnings run-up which is now no longer allowed by GAAP.

AMD lost money, but we move dollars here and there in a spreadsheet and viola some virtual segment of AMD the company made money and for some reason we are supposed to consider that to be the relevant information here. I don't fully get it either.

Last thing AMD needs right now is a legal investigation of their financial side of things.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Street sure didn't like these results, stock price is down 7%.

Next time I'm going with my gut and selling before earnings.

Very dicey to ride thru earnings announcements, that's like holding your speculative positions open over the weekend. Not always gonna bite you, but when it does you know with hindsight that you should have known better.

There are a few companies though that are better than flipping a coin when they announce earnings as to whether its going to gap up or down. Nokia used to be one of them, and I swear Templeton of TI did it on purpose, he'd religiously give below expectation guidance for future quarter so the damn stock would nearly always gap down on earnings announcement.

Anyways I never hold thru earnings announcement anymore unless I really feel like just gambling, putting it all on red or all on black is about as equally profitable.

I sold last week at $6.22. Unfortunately, I only had a few hundred shares. :( I'm pretty new to this stock market thing. But so far, so good. :)

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002

What's worse is everyone in the universe feels the same way. I haven't been able to come up with a worthwhile straddle on even the largest tech companies in quite a while. Both premiums and spreads on the options are insane.

Ah well, if trading were easy everyone would be doing it.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: T2k
Originally posted by: akugami
AMD is still losing money as a whole. The good thing is that they have bandaged the wounds and have stopped some of the bleeding. They need to truly get back in the black as a whole company so we can have two healthy competitors in the x86 CPU business as well as in the GPU business.

Another person with little understanding of these results...

Apparently you are the only one not getting them.

You meant yourself, ehh?

Idiotic sh!t like "bandaging" and similar, almost Mac--user-stupid analogies make zero sense to me, I admit.

And as far as your posts go you don't seem to have more than a minimal clue about these numbers either, apparently.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Hauk
Good news for everyone, regardless of gpu tastes :thumbsup:

Seriously. The bickering and flame wars are great fun, but we gotta have competition.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Real numbers if you scroll down.

ATi made an $8Million dollar profit which is a good sign, revenue is also up sharply from last quarter(they posted a $12Million dollar loss last quarter), ASP is down but we all knew that was going to happen(well, anyone who knows anything about financials and reads this board). Given their platform sales, and taking into consideration Intel's it looks like nVidia should be in good shape this quarter too(thinking the streets consensus of $.10 EPS may be a bit low, that would be about $54.7Million profit).

It would be nice to see both companies doing as well as possible, more money for them encourages more R&D which we see the benefits of.

NV might be fine on the short term but huge costs are incurring while their revenue will be falling in best case or freefalling in worst case during the upcoming season.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Another senseless AMD fanboy ~> " WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! AMD please don't die, Intel and nVidia don't treat me right :*^( "

AMD will be ok. With the new XBox contract and the best GPU in town at the moment, they certainly have a more diverse market with higher potential for income than they have in the past. Being that Phenom II is not getting a die shrink, I'd say next year will be a tad bit ugly on the CPU front for AMD.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
AMD is still losing money as a whole. The good thing is that they have bandaged the wounds and have stopped some of the bleeding. They need to truly get back in the black as a whole company so we can have two healthy competitors in the x86 CPU business as well as in the GPU business.

You meant yourself, ehh?

Idiotic sh!t like "bandaging" and similar, almost Mac--user-stupid analogies make zero sense to me, I admit.

And as far as your posts go you don't seem to have more than a minimal clue about these numbers either, apparently.

Dude, you really need to tone it down.

We wouldn't want you to have another visit from the mods.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

You meant yourself, ehh?

Seriously T2K, you're getting as annoying as Wreckage in some threads. AMD does need to stop the bleeding. I defend AMD a lot because of people like Wreckage who posts a lot of FUD and crap about them but if AMD screws up, I have to be truthful. Just like when nVidia does something stupid or good I will comment on it.

People also use analogies to get their point across. It's part of the English language. If you don't understand the analogies then that's your fault.

For the record, my first computer was indeed a Mac but that was nearly 20 years ago. I've been using Windows exclusively for about 15 years now and have been building them for at least 10.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

You meant yourself, ehh?

Seriously T2K, you're getting as annoying as Wreckage in some threads.

Seriously akugami, I am destroyed... ;D;

AMD does need to stop the bleeding. I defend AMD a lot because of people like Wreckage who posts a lot of FUD and crap about them but if AMD screws up, I have to be truthful. Just like when nVidia does something stupid or good I will comment on it.

People also use analogies to get their point across.

Usually when either they can't explain their PoV properly or the other side can't grasp it, I know. Which one is it...? :D

It's part of the English language. If you don't understand the analogies then that's your fault.

Khm, analogies as English-specific language features...? Not really (I speak/read more or less 3 other languages.)

For the record, my first computer was indeed a Mac but that was nearly 20 years ago. I've been using Windows exclusively for about 15 years now and have been building them for at least 10.

My point was only about these nonsensical analogies, that's it.

Jan 24, 2009
Khm, analogies as English-specific language features...? Not really (I speak/read more or less 3 other languages.)

I'm pretty sure you know that isn't what he was saying.

On topic, I am eminently glad that AMD is making more money now, even if it is only a quasi net profit.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I think that wreckage works for amd and T2k works for nvidia...reverse marketing at its finest. You both push people towards the other camp with your blind fanboy-isms. Quite annoying.

Hopefully next quarter both companies will be significantly in the black. unless and until larrabee comes to town, red and green are the only gpu game around.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
NV might be fine on the short term but huge costs are incurring while their revenue will be falling in best case or freefalling in worst case during the upcoming season.

If anything, this coming quarter should be very good for nVidia, with the following quarter being the one that is going to be questionable on the balance sheet. For the upcomnig quarter nVidia will still be generating income from selling their on hand inventory, while not paying for large scale replenishment of that inventory if every rumor we have hear is true. Their margins should actually see a considerable spike if all the mumbling is accurate. The following quarter if they fail to ramp 40nm quickly will be the one that will likely see a downswing in revenue if supply on their prior gen exceeds their initial projections. It is an interesting situation, but the only way nV is going to see any sort of sharp drop is if they do better then expected, which is possible.

The current numbers from AMD's platform side and Intel's indicate that they are likely to see a considerable spike from OEMs alone if nothing else. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
I think that wreckage works for amd and T2k works for nvidia...reverse marketing at its finest. You both push people towards the other camp with your blind fanboy-isms. Quite annoying.

Hopefully next quarter both companies will be significantly in the black. unless and until larrabee comes to town, red and green are the only gpu game around.

That's actually brilliant. All this time they were actually playing us!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
It's been amazing to watch the change in these forums from the pro-AMD stance of the A64/P4 era to the current negative attitude. It comforts me to know it all swings back eventually.