AMD HD8000 Series [Or: Here we go again...]

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Fully destructable architechture, dynamic winds (interactive with foilage), shrapnel that kills...thi could have been common in all games....if not AMD (and their followers) decided that the grapes were sour...

Did AMD ever blocked any non-graphics workloads on their graphics cards? How is it their fault that we have shitty physics in games now?

Feb 19, 2009
Absolutely nothing wrong with using physics with CPUs, nowadays with 8 threads or more going around in cheap rigs, it's a disgrace that most games don't even use 4 threads. That is wasted resources. Devs should add advanced physics in graphics options in games, essentially "enable if your cpu isn't stupid".

Let the GPU focus on whats its meant for, graphics. Even top single cards struggle at 1080p just for rendering, it's backwards thinking to put physics as an additional load on the GPU when the CPU is sitting around idle.

Isn't it great that games like BF3 scale with 6 cores and huge overclocks?? All future games should be like this and more.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I'm for implemented great tools so developers can choose what makes sense for their titles. If it is for the CPU? Great! If it is for the GPU? Great!

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Absolutely nothing wrong with using physics with CPUs, nowadays with 8 threads or more going around in cheap rigs, it's a disgrace that most games don't even use 4 threads.

I feel bad that nowadays even cheap rigs have two times more threads then my rig :(
And to think it was considered kind of high-end back in the day... Damn, that technology is moving fast.