AMD has released a fix for Crysis 2 flickering

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Doesn't work for me. Bioshock.exe works for now but it's only about 10% faster. Better than nothing I suppose.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
Suppsedly this is for the Steam version. Su*ks for me as I have the retail version and still have not been able to play this game yet.

Some early indications on the mycrysis forums are conflicting as to the ability of this "fix" to really fix anything --- can't remember ever seeing a recent, supposed AAA title having such a show stopper of a bug.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Um... Hasn't this happened to a lot of games? Have you tried the BIOSHOCK.exe fix yet? Or disabling xfire? Unless those cards are shit. you probably don't need xfire anway.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Suppsedly this is for the Steam version. Su*ks for me as I have the retail version and still have not been able to play this game yet.

Some early indications on the mycrysis forums are conflicting as to the ability of this "fix" to really fix anything --- can't remember ever seeing a recent, supposed AAA title having such a show stopper of a bug.

Well, there was Dragon Age II, which ran like ass on NVIDIA hardware until NVIDIA was able to put out a driver fix. The release notes for their latest beta driver indicates over 500% and 300% improvement in some cases. How crappy does a AAA game have to run to be able to squeeze that much out of it with a driver patch?

Is it just a coincidence that Crysis 2 is a TWIMTBP game and Dragon Age II is Gaming Evolved?

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
Well, there was Dragon Age II, which ran like ass on NVIDIA hardware until NVIDIA was able to put out a driver fix. The release notes for their latest beta driver indicates over 500% and 300% improvement in some cases. How crappy does a AAA game have to run to be able to squeeze that much out of it with a driver patch?

Is it just a coincidence that Crysis 2 is a TWIMTBP game and Dragon Age II is Gaming Evolved?

I don't care much for Crysis 2, but this TWIMTBP and Gaming Evolved BS is really starting to pi$$ me off. Amazing that the consumer is the one who suffers from this.

syncore

Apr 1, 2011
I removed the flickering by running a custom config generated with the Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options tool, then by renaming crysis2.exe to fear.exe and finally by forcing the F.E.A.R profile with MVPUMode set to "Alternate Frame Rendering" using RadeonPro. When I play online, the game rarely ever drops below a constant 60fps w/ vsync, but the game just isn't that fun

Last edited:

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
It sort of works for my two 5850s. Got rid of most of the flashing but I still detect a slight flashing reminiscent of microstutter.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
I have a pair of 5970's x-fired...granted scaling on these cards is not great. But I would still like to use them to play C2 -- anyways, I have the retail version and, if anything, this new app profile made flickering even worse --- only thing that works is playing in a window.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
This fix does sort of work, the trick seems to be if/when you experience the flickering go into game options and adjust the brightness slider one click in either direction.