AMD GPU tip...

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Just in case anyone else was having the same issues I was having, (hard crash during playback of youtube or any flash vid) just right-click and disable hardware acceleration and the BSOD's will end. AMD's driver is 2 years old and this problem was a huge pain in the ass for me, my card is an older one, a 4830 so IDK if newer GPU's were having the same issues.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
What driver version are you using? I'm running a 4850 in one of my rigs and no issues at all so wondering what is different about your setup. CCC says I have 8.97.100.7-121116a-151639C-ATI which I believe was the last driver AMD made then the 4000 cards went to legacy status.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
What driver version are you using? I'm running a 4850 in one of my rigs and no issues at all so wondering what is different about your setup. CCC says I have 8.97.100.7-121116a-151639C-ATI which I believe was the last driver AMD made then the 4000 cards went to legacy status.

Device manager reports it as 8.970.100.7000, I tried to update it from there but got the message "you have the latest driver installed" message. I then went to AMD's site and DL'ed the whole CCC package and extracted it and it too had the same driver. Just for shits and giggles I fired up task manager and my CPU usage actually went down with hardware acceleration unchecked. It's possible that my MOBO has issues with the driver though but I don't care, the few games I play run fine and no more hard-crashes watching YT vids.
EDIT:, OK, I went to CCC and that is the exact same one I've got installed. I did do a Furmark test and the card passed with no issues or overheating so I know that was not causing the problem.

Last edited:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Mine says the same thing in device manager, but I got the full version from CCC which I see matches your installed driver. Well at least you tried, don't know why on some systems Flash won't work with GPU acceleration. Flash is terrible though can't wait until it's dead and buried.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the full CCC driver suite (minus the bloat and what you don't truly need, but leave CCC just in case).

Do this in safemode using Direct Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Get it here. http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I suspect that the driver version and file you see in Device Manager may just be the basic display driver, akin to the basic Microsoft Display Driver. There may be other driver components that are far out of date, and sometimes GPU drivers can just get jacked up over time with upgrades.

Try out DDU in safemode and follow the instructions. It'll help you get a perfectly clean slate for a fresh Radeon driver install, and I wonder if that might fix your problem.

To me, having to disable hardware acceleration isn't an answer, it's a stop-gap fix that removes a terrific feature.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the full CCC driver suite (minus the bloat and what you don't truly need, but leave CCC just in case).

Do this in safemode using Direct Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Get it here. http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I suspect that the driver version and file you see in Device Manager may just be the basic display driver, akin to the basic Microsoft Display Driver. There may be other driver components that are far out of date, and sometimes GPU drivers can just get jacked up over time with upgrades.

Try out DDU in safemode and follow the instructions. It'll help you get a perfectly clean slate for a fresh Radeon driver install, and I wonder if that might fix your problem.

To me, having to disable hardware acceleration isn't an answer, it's a stop-gap fix that removes a terrific feature.

OK, I might try that. I still can't explain the low CPU usage though and it's an old E8400@3.6Ghz, even playing at 1080 isn't bogging it down a bit and the GPU is still working fine in games.