Discussion AMD Gaming Super Resolution GSR

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
New Patent came up today for AMD's FSR

GAMING SUPER RESOLUTION

Abstract
A processing device is provided which includes memory and a processor. The processor is configured to receive an input image having a first resolution, generate linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a linear upscaling network and generate non-linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a non-linear upscaling network. The processor is also configured to convert the down-sampled versions of the input image into pixels of an output image having a second resolution higher than the first resolution and provide the output image for display

[0008] Conventional super-resolution techniques include a variety of conventional neural network architectures which perform super-resolution by upscaling images using linear functions. These linear functions do not, however, utilize the advantages of other types of information (e.g., non-linear information), which typically results in blurry and/or corrupted images. In addition, conventional neural network architectures are generalizable and trained to operate without significant knowledge of an immediate problem. Other conventional super-resolution techniques use deep learning approaches. The deep learning techniques do not, however, incorporate important aspects of the original image, resulting in lost color and lost detail information.

[0009] The present application provides devices and methods for efficiently super-resolving an image, which preserves the original information of the image while upscaling the image and improving fidelity. The devices and methods utilize linear and non-linear up-sampling in a wholly learned environment.

[0010] The devices and methods include a gaming super resolution (GSR) network architecture which efficiently super resolves images in a convolutional and generalizable manner. The GSR architecture employs image condensation and a combination of linear and nonlinear operations to accelerate the process to gaming viable levels. GSR renders images at a low quality scale to create high quality image approximations and achieve high framerates. High quality reference images are approximated by applying a specific configuration of convolutional layers and activation functions to a low quality reference image. The GSR network approximates more generalized problems more accurately and efficiently than conventional super resolution techniques by training the weights of the convolutional layers with a corpus of images.

[0011] A processing device is provided which includes memory and a processor. The processor is configured to receive an input image having a first resolution, generate linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a linear upscaling network and generate non-linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a non-linear upscaling network. The processor is also configured to convert the down-sampled versions of the input image into pixels of an output image having a second resolution higher than the first resolution and provide the output image for display.

[0012] A processing device is provided which includes memory and a processor configured to receive an input image having a first resolution. The processor is also configured to generate a plurality of non-linear down-sampled versions of the input image via a non-linear upscaling network and generate one or more linear down-sampled versions of the input image via a linear upscaling network. The processor is also configured to combine the non-linear down-sampled versions and the one or more linear down-sampled versions to provide a plurality of combined down-sampled versions. The processor is also configured to convert the combined down-sampled versions of the input image into pixels of an output image having a second resolution higher than the first resolution by assigning, to each of a plurality of pixel blocks of the output image, a co-located pixel in each of the combined down-sampled versions and provide the output image for display.

[0013] A super resolution processing method is provided which improves processing performance. The method includes receiving an input image having a first resolution, generating linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a linear upscaling network and generating non-linear down-sampled versions of the input image by down-sampling the input image via a non-linear upscaling network. The method also includes converting the down-sampled versions of the input image into pixels of an output image having a second resolution higher than the first resolution and providing the output image for display.

It uses Inferencing for upscaling. As will all ML models, how you assemble the layers, what kind of parameters you choose, which activation functions you choose etc, matters a lot, and the difference could be night and day in accuracy, performance and memory

1621500232759.png

1621500205339.png

Last edited:

Krteq

May 22, 2015
FSR/GSR implemented into OpenVR

GitHub - fholger/openvr_fsr

side-by-side screenshots (imgsli):
Important disclaimer

This is a best-effort experiment and hack to bring this upscaling technique to VR games which do not support it natively. Please understand that the approach taken here cannot guarantee the optimal quality that FSR might, in theory, be capable of. AMD has specific recommendations where and how FSR should be placed in the render pipeline. Due to the nature of this generic hack, I cannot guarantee nor control that all of these recommendations are actually met for any particular game. Please do not judge the quality of FSR solely by this mod :)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Seems like a bit of a mixed bag. I generally (not sure if the color difference is due to FSR or just the clouds/sun changing between pictures) think it makes Skyrim look better, but Fallout look worse. It doesn't seem to handle bare trees all that well, but then again it's a pretty limited set of images so I wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions from just the two of them.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Not precisely on topic, but still relevant to the whole upscaling on AMD thing regardless:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Not precisely on topic, but still relevant to the whole upscaling on AMD thing regardless:

I'm surprised there are any news articles on this at all, they've been talking about this for well over a year already, the whole ML-based upscaling via DirectML thing.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Seems like a bit of a mixed bag. I generally (not sure if the color difference is due to FSR or just the clouds/sun changing between pictures) think it makes Skyrim look better, but Fallout look worse. It doesn't seem to handle bare trees all that well, but then again it's a pretty limited set of images so I wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions from just the two of them.

I think the other missing stat is the FPS difference. The trade off is important, IMO, because ugly trees can be weighed against FPS gains - especially minimum frames.

It's going to cost something when it comes to IQ.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I think the other missing stat is the FPS difference. The trade off is important, IMO, because ugly trees can be weighed against FPS gains - especially minimum frames.

It's going to cost something when it comes to IQ.
Well that and what it looks like to get that perf on different settings. Like what do we have to do on 4k to get that performance (if you could) and how that looks and the same thing does 1440p or 1080p with all of the PQ options (or enough turned on to hit that perf) look better. Also Static shots don't really tell much of the story, once you add motionblur and and other in movement effects it will probably be a lot harder to pick out the differences. Linus just did a couple video's but basically only if you understand the tech and specifically look for signs of the tech running could you really notice in game.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I was curious to see how FSR is looking at 1080p and what VSR can do to the IQ and the performance.
Enabling VSR at 1080p (Virtual Super Resolution) renders the image at 4k, so it is interesting to compare 1080p native vs VSR + Performance mode FSR.

So here are some pics from Risftbraker at 1080p. Again this is with a RX5500XT 8MB

1080p Native

1080p + FSR Performance

1080p + FSR Balance

1080p + FSR Quality

1080p + FSR Ultra Quality

3840x2160 VSR

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Performance

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Balance

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Quality

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Ultra Quality

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I was curious to see how FSR is looking at 1080p and what VSR can do to the IQ and the performance.
Enabling VSR at 1080p (Virtual Super Resolution) renders the image at 4k, so it is interesting to compare 1080p native vs VSR + Performance mode FSR.

So here are some pics from Risftbraker at 1080p. Again this is with a RX5500XT 8MB

1080p Native

1080p + FSR Performance

1080p + FSR Balance

1080p + FSR Quality

1080p + FSR Ultra Quality

3840x2160 VSR

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Performance

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Balance

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Quality

3840x2160 VSR + FSR Ultra Quality

4K VSR + FSR Performance looks like a win to me. Clearly higher IQ with minimal performance impact (assuming the fps shown in the screenshot is representative of relative performances). At 1080p, FSR UQ looks decent enough but the fps boost isn't really much. At FSR Q the fps boost starts to be significant but the quality takes a clear hit as well.

Edit: 4k + FSR Q looks pretty good too quality wise for a good bump in performance. Any chance you could grab some native 900p and/or 720p for comparison to the 1080p FSR?

Reactions: Tlh97

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
4K VSR + FSR Performance looks like a win to me. Clearly higher IQ with minimal performance impact (assuming the fps shown in the screenshot is representative of relative performances). At 1080p, FSR UQ looks decent enough but the fps boost isn't really much. At FSR Q the fps boost starts to be significant but the quality takes a clear hit as well.

Edit: 4k + FSR Q looks pretty good too quality wise for a good bump in performance. Any chance you could grab some native 900p and/or 720p for comparison to the 1080p FSR?

ready ;)

Just to point out those two pics are taken in window mode.

900p Native

720p Native

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
ready ;)

Just to point out those two pics are taken in window mode.

900p Native

720p Native

Thanks. 1080p + FSR Balanced looks better to me than 720p native and has the same performance. 1080p + FSR UQ has the same performance as 900p and looks comparable to me. I think the advantage FSR has in all of these is the sharpening effect. Native + sharpening (e.g. CAS) would probably look better than native because of the bluriness which I'm guessing comes from the AA method.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
New upscaler coming from AMD?

Thomas Arcila, one of the two speakers and likely lead developer of it, is at AMD only since December. So I'd expect an outlook on the tech planned for use in a FSR 2.0 (or whatever name that project will eventually launch as) with the public launch still some time off.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Not needing an AI pass is a huge thing if it matches DLSS 2.0. Its one less thing for developers to have to worry about. And working on any GPU means they have to do the work for multiple vendors.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Not needing an AI pass is a huge thing if it matches DLSS 2.0. Its one less thing for developers to have to worry about. And working on any GPU means they have to do the work for multiple vendors.
I suspect FSR 2.0 will need to use some sort of neural network to match DLSS 2.0, but it won't require matrix units to run the FMA instructions but instead just use the shader engine. Only reason why Nvidia runs it on their matrix units is because they simply have them available, and so they market it as being a requirement to get customers to buy their graphics cards that have tensor cores. As we have seen with Ampere, they doubled the TFLOPS but performance didn't scale proportionally. Navi 31 is supposed to triple the amount of FP32 throughput over N21, and a similar phenomenon might occur. Why not use some of the shaders to run FSR 2.0 if you're getting diminishing returns on your TFLOP scaling anyways?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I suspect FSR 2.0 will need to use some sort of neural network to match DLSS 2.0, but it won't require matrix units to run the FMA instructions but instead just use the shader engine. Only reason why Nvidia runs it on their matrix units is because they simply have them available, and so they market it as being a requirement to get customers to buy their graphics cards that have tensor cores. As we have seen with Ampere, they doubled the TFLOPS but performance didn't scale proportionally. Navi 31 is supposed to triple the amount of FP32 throughput over N21, and a similar phenomenon might occur. Why not use some of the shaders to run FSR 2.0 if you're getting diminishing returns on your TFLOP scaling anyways?

Ampere didn't scale up with the paper TFLOP spec because half the new "cuda cores" are units that must either only do fp or int, and the figure that came out was on average ~36% of gaming workloads are int. That means the effective TFLOPS for gaming performance is only potentially 64% of the paper figure.

RDNA3 shouldn't have any sort of tradeoff like that.

Last edited:

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012

Eh, DLSS 2.0 is the same TAA everyone uses with an AI step or two thrown in. Nvidia have been really, really loathe to mention this at all, they want their thing to seem like some sort of un-replicatable "magic" which is why they just keep pushing "AI" as a buzzword over and over and over again.

Maybe the AI is used for the old sample re-shading step, which is the real struggle with temporal upscaling. Because a bunch of pixels are the same as last frame, but should be changed this frame, you have to update them somehow based on the few new pixels you do have. Otherwise you get stuff like in the UE5 Matrix Demo where shadows and such "speckle ghost" over time as some pixels immediately receive new shading/shadows while others don't. Other than whatever neat trick they're doing there DLSS2 just matches the capabilities of a nice, very clean TAA setup.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you've got Navi 31 caliber card, why are you even running FSR/DLSS at all. Those should have plenty of horse power even with the newest titles at the most demanding resolutions.

For those cards it's only something to consider for when the card is several years old and can't keep up like it used to. Of course by then you'd hope it supports whatever newest version of FSR/DLSS is available.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
If you've got Navi 31 caliber card, why are you even running FSR/DLSS at all. Those should have plenty of horse power even with the newest titles at the most demanding resolutions.

For those cards it's only something to consider for when the card is several years old and can't keep up like it used to. Of course by then you'd hope it supports whatever newest version of FSR/DLSS is available.

I think it's going to come down to performance. I plan to buy a 7900XT and I use a 27GP950B, a 4K160Hz monitor to game. Right now the most demanding current games end up running around 60-90 FPS (highest preset) on my 6900XT. If N31/7900XT does indeed deliver 2.5-2.7X performance increase, that would mean performance would be 150-240FPS in these titles. That absolutely would not require any form of upscaling or performance enhancement technique.

That being said there are some games that run like garbage even with settings turned down, and struggle to even achieve 60 FPS. I'm looking at you, control, cyberpunk, and medium. 2.5x scaling on those still wouldn't get me to monitor refresh rate.

While there have been some awful looking FSR and DLSS implementations there have also been some excellent ones. I can't tell the difference in Far Cry 6 between FSR Ultra Quality and FSR off. The better these techniques and implementations get, the more we will see consistent image quality and performance benefits.

I have a feeling with the jump in GPU power we're going to see a jump in even more usage of ray tracing and other high demand rendering techniques to sap some of that extra power.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I wonder if AMD figures that they can over-provision on general purpose compute units and use that overhead to drive a more active upscaling technique rather than NV's method of dedicating specialized hardware to it.

AMD has to be smarter and cagier with their die space than NV thanks to their core business being CPUs, not GPUs, and with MCM we may end up with way more shader power than we really need.

Alternatively, MCM may usher in SOC style GPUs with a io block, a tensor block, a shader block etc all small dies with absurdly high yields, highly customizable.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
I wonder if AMD figures that they can over-provision on general purpose compute units and use that overhead to drive a more active upscaling technique rather than NV's method of dedicating specialized hardware to it.

AMD has to be smarter and cagier with their die space than NV thanks to their core business being CPUs, not GPUs, and with MCM we may end up with way more shader power than we really need.

Alternatively, MCM may usher in SOC style GPUs with a io block, a tensor block, a shader block etc all small dies with absurdly high yields, highly customizable.

Eh, RDNA2 can run ai workloads just fine. The compute units can split all the way down to quad rate int 8(or even 8x int4 but that's a bit low for precision), a popular format for deployable ai workloads. I don't think they necessarily need their own dedicated blocks for that "extra oomph" as they're flexible enough to run a lot of things on general compute units.

I expect the announcement of "no ai required" is due to developer interest. Developers want a single solution they can implement for everyone they're going to sell to; working on a feature that benefits everyone is a way better use of time than working on some high end feature only 15% of their userbase might even see for example.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Some more from RedGamingTech, he knows something, he chooses his words carefully. Also states its no longer spatial, but temporal upscaling.