AMD Fusion Netbook/Laptop For Sale Links

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Even the C-50 beats the 240. If you can; always opt for a dual core. I would imagine the e-240 would be really too slow for surfing the web, running win7 would be like going back in time. I dunno why AMD even bothered with a single core.

They would have done much better offering a triple core version of the C/E series to the plate.

Also, if you plan on buying one of these opt for the 6 cell battery. 2 Gigs of ram is pathetic but, you can always update that later. With all these up sells you might want to look at a different machine since it adds up in hurry.

I don't think you missed out much subtracting win7 since you gotta buy it later or unless you were truly gonna using it with Linux.

Last edited:

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
E-350 also has more L2 cache (1MB vs 512kB on the E-240). So it's not like it would only be faster in multi-threaded applications, due to the extra cache and clock speed it should be better for single-threaded stuff as well. Only downside I can see is that the IGP clock is a bit lower than on the E-240 (492MHz instead of 500MHz), probably necessary to keep it within the 18W TDP envelope. But such a small difference in GPU clock probably isn't even going to be noticeable.

So yeah, E-350 is definitely worth the $40 or whatever the upgrade costs IMO.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
A review for the x120e said the battery (6 cell) sticks out real far. Also that it's pretty heavy. Is that accurate? That's what held me back.
Also I'm still waiting on the Asus 1215B. Anyone know when it's coming out? What the heck are they waiting on?

Just curious, what OS are you guys installing on the x120e? Is it any hassle to track down all the drivers for a notebook? Would it be faster with Win7 or WinXP?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i wish someone would put out a virus that would destroy all winxp installs out there.

anyway, im also waiting for the asus 1215b. it should be killer, usb3 or not.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Just curious, what OS are you guys installing on the x120e? Is it any hassle to track down all the drivers for a notebook? Would it be faster with Win7 or WinXP?
I bought a Win7 3-pack awhile back intending to upgrade my desktop, laptop, and my parents' computer to 7... I ended up leaving Vista on my desktop, though.

I may install XP just to see if it works, but I'll probably end up going with 7.

FWIW, Win7 OEM is $99 (compared to the $180 you saved by unselecting it on the lenovo site)

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Even the C-50 beats the 240. If you can; always opt for a dual core. I would imagine the e-240 would be really too slow for surfing the web, running win7 would be like going back in time. I dunno why AMD even bothered with a single core.

They would have done much better offering a triple core version of the C/E series to the plate.

Also, if you plan on buying one of these opt for the 6 cell battery. 2 Gigs of ram is pathetic but, you can always update that later. With all these up sells you might want to look at a different machine since it adds up in hurry.

I don't think you missed out much subtracting win7 since you gotta buy it later or unless you were truly gonna using it with Linux.

i can't really agree with this. i mean the 240 has to be better than a single core atom.

and you can surf the web on that ok (and with the HD decoding on board, flash might even play ok).

i mean i wouldnt buy an e-240 with a 350 being $35-40 more. but i dont think it'd be completely god awful.

i'd prefer the c-50 over it still though. just barely at 1.0 ghz vs 1.6 ghz. but you always have the future hopes of C-50 soft fsb style overclocking too.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
i can't really agree with this. i mean the 240 has to be better than a single core atom.

and you can surf the web on that ok (and with the HD decoding on board, flash might even play ok).

i mean i wouldnt buy an e-240 with a 350 being $35-40 more. but i dont think it'd be completely god awful.

i'd prefer the c-50 over it still though. just barely at 1.0 ghz vs 1.6 ghz. but you always have the future hopes of C-50 soft fsb style overclocking too.

Ok, well, it's not that's it's just slow... But... Today is geared towards dual core ... almost every app written is optimized to dual core's or more. That's the main reason right there. Yeah the c-50 is the same size die as e-350 even the gpu is just under clocked so might be able to pump it up in the future. We shall see.

Passmark CPU Mark Rank (lower is better)
(higher is better)

AMD E-240 350 909 NA NA
AMD E-350 770 662 NA NA
AMD C-50 473 792 NA NA

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-A...mArea=CIRCULAR

Staples is going to have this laptop on sale... for 379 bucks. I am thinking one could find a coupon to make it extra worth while.

Highlights...

E-350 fastest Fusion chip...
4 Gigs of RAM

Lows, Acer quality is questionable and the battery from the website 3.4 hours. I would hope that by getting some rid of the bloat ware and cranking the battery power to be more conservative maybe you could eek out 4 hours?

Anyway a pretty good deal...

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-A...mArea=CIRCULAR

Staples is going to have this laptop on sale... for 379 bucks. I am thinking one could find a coupon to make it extra worth while.

Highlights...

E-350 fastest Fusion chip...
4 Gigs of RAM

Lows, Acer quality is questionable and the battery from the website 3.4 hours. I would hope that by getting some rid of the bloat ware and cranking the battery power to be more conservative maybe you could eek out 4 hours?

Anyway a pretty good deal...

honestly as much as a e-350 in a 15.6" laptop seems weird, i think for most people who just want to surf the web or something this would not be a bad configuration.

i mean, its basically a nettop with a built in 15.6" monitor seeing as this probably isn't super portable. has 4gb of ram and such too which is nice.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Asus 1215B is up for preorder, with an ETA of April 1st! Here:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/603264/as...15b-320gb.html
never heard of that store so don't know how legit they are. I'm going to wait for reviews anyway, specifically battery life compared to DM1Z. Asus claim 8.5 hr battery, which is close to HP's 9. But I'd be shocked if they measure that the same way..

edit: the 1215B is listed with a 56Wh battery. The DM1Z with a 55Wh.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
here's hoping my order doesn't get canceled if they decide it was a bug or something :thumbsup: :\
my no-OS x120e shipped today.

7 business days, which was about the estimate. I spent all week half expecting it to be canceled but my power cable + sleeve both shipped earlier this week. that would have been a kick in the nuts :D

curious to see where it ships from, the power adapter came from North Carolina and the sleeve shipped out from Hong Kong.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I spent the last few days shopping for my niece's new laptop and came across the Lenova X120e. We determined that the 11.6" size was just too small, so I started looking at the various other sizes. The 14"+ ones were too heavy, and then everything else inbetween was either this or that... I finally found one she was happy with which ended up being the 13.3" HP dm3t.

As much as I tried to stay away from HP, there just wasn't anything else out there in the price range I had to work with. Now, however, I have this incredible urge to get the X120e for myself. hmmmm... I have enough gadgets and computers now though that whenever it comes time to click on the Submit Order button, I quickly find myself clicking on the Close button instead :p Arrrgggghhh...

csubusa

Jan 15, 2011
my no-OS x120e shipped today.

7 business days, which was about the estimate. I spent all week half expecting it to be canceled but my power cable + sleeve both shipped earlier this week. that would have been a kick in the nuts :D

curious to see where it ships from, the power adapter came from North Carolina and the sleeve shipped out from Hong Kong.

looks like lenovo epp?/visa might be shipping most of the orders
got notification that my acrobat x is shipping/shipped

410$ AT for e-350 with 6 cell, windows home, a/b/g/n and bluetooth... and acrobat ... little less than the dm1z i was going to settle for

csubusa

Jan 15, 2011
I spent the last few days shopping for my niece's new laptop and came across the Lenova X120e. We determined that the 11.6" size was just too small, so I started looking at the various other sizes. The 14"+ ones were too heavy, and then everything else inbetween was either this or that... I finally found one she was happy with which ended up being the 13.3" HP dm3t.

As much as I tried to stay away from HP, there just wasn't anything else out there in the price range I had to work with. Now, however, I have this incredible urge to get the X120e for myself. hmmmm... I have enough gadgets and computers now though that whenever it comes time to click on the Submit Order button, I quickly find myself clicking on the Close button instead :p Arrrgggghhh...

It is very YMMV when buying something like that. Glad she is happy, and get something you want : /

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
When will these nettops have wide availability? Most build times are like a week or longer and my desktop just died. I guess buying it off amazon with a price premium is my best shot no?

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
If you're interested in the X120e, CDW has a configuration that costs a bit less than for what you can get it on at Lenovo.com. However, it has a note to call for availability.

csubusa

Jan 15, 2011
When will these nettops have wide availability? Most build times are like a week or longer and my desktop just died. I guess buying it off amazon with a price premium is my best shot no?

I don't know the best place to get one. I wouldn't get one as a desktop replacement though. If you need something now, some companies are liquidating their old core i3/i5/i7 models.

Fix your destop, wait, then pickup a lenovo x220 with ips display!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAeXgCZP94

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Possibly because they consume 18W and that's really pushing it for 11.6".