AMD Fury X VR Edition + SteamVR

TheProgrammer

Feb 16, 2015
I have a pretty old machine, and no longer run graphically intensive games. But I do game almost on a daily basis. I've been gaming for many, many decades and gameplay footage of games like the new release of Doom (while looking nice) just don't seem appealing to me at this late point in the gaming market.
The only reason I would need to buy a dedicated VPU is for VR because we'll probably see some innovation again there.

The Intel 5775C is enough VPU power for me and what I play (MOBAs, Borderlands2, Defense Grid and Dosbox games), judging from these benchmarks. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169-6.html
So I'm planning on building an i7 5775C rig and just using that until SteamVR or Fury X VR arrives.
For VR, I want AMD's async compute shaders which look like a real ace in the hole, and I think dual Fiji (what I'm calling the Fury X VR) on Vulkan will be an amazing experience. 1 VPU per smartphone screen per eye. 4GB HBM per VPU. Gets no better. Hopefully Vulkan removing some of the existing software issues that have always plagued dual VPU solutions.
But I'm failing to see why I would bother with anything other than Intel i7 5775C or stepping up to the AMD Fury X VR.

I'm going to have to try it in person first, but I'm thinking SteamVR + Fury X VR will be like when I bought my Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo card all over again but even better. An i7 5775C would be a fine CPU to pair with that.
If I don't go in on SteamVR, Crystalwell will power what I need. No standalone card will ever be purchased again.

Anyone else thinking along these same lines? I really don't personally have a need for anything other than what Intel has here, or what AMD is releasing with the dual Fiji. And I'd really like a more powerful CPU for the other things I use my machine for (as the name may suggest, I am a programmer), and cost of the 5775C, SteamVR, or Fury X VR isn't a concern.
I just want the fastest APU possible, that's ready to go for a dual Fiji card if I decide to go down the VR road.

My family and I have plenty of fun in Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros on our Wii U. My PC gaming is as described pretty easily powered by today's integrated graphics. VR is probably the last vestige of hope these companies have of keeping me investing in expensive VPUs.
But for me at this point the market has split between good enough APUs and VR-level hardware. Which it appears only AMD will have for the forseeable future with dual Fiji with HBM. I don't really have much use for anything inbetween these extremes (for my gaming habits).

Last edited:

MattL

Jun 4, 2015
I'm going to have to try it in person first, but I'm thinking SteamVR + Fury X VR will be like when I bought my Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo card all over again but even better. An i7 5775C would be a fine CPU to pair with that.
If I don't go in on SteamVR, Crystalwell will power what I need. No standalone card will ever be purchased again.

Total tangent but mentioning a Voodoo card brought back memories. Couldn't afford the first Voodoo but by the time it came out was able to swing a Voodoo 2, 8MB not 12MB though, couldn't quite swing that. Brings back memories :)

Wow funny to think of an 8 MB video memory card compared to the GB in them today.

I am intrigued on this topic though, I personally am pretty excited about VR as well as Fiji's potential there.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
VR is starting up and it might be superb once the early phase is over.

TheProgrammer

Feb 16, 2015
I think a lot of people are intrigued by this again, finally. For years people have argued back and forth about x card has better power consumption, y card has better performance, don't buy this buy that and so forth.

But basically you could have handed me my Voodoo1 4MB, then woken me up today for the Fury X VR dual Fiji, and I wouldn't have cared at all. Everything in between was not exactly thrilling. This might be a big moment though so I'm paying attention.

We can thank smartphones for making this possible finally. Which is what VR is in essence, two smartphone screens strapped to our eyeballs. It doesn't surprise me that so many are producing their own headsets given that fact.

For me today's APUs, Crystalwell and onward are going to be good enough for my gaming unless I go in on SteamVR.

I think a lot of people will be thinking this soon. For standalone cards it'll be VR-quality or nothing.. just use the integrated. Intel with Crystalwell and AMD with HBM on the APU.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Also Fury does not support HDMI 2.0, so there's that to consider as you start getting into the higher resolutions.

TheProgrammer

Feb 16, 2015
I won't be buying a 4K monitor at any point in the future. If I go higher than 1080P it'll be VR.
I suspect SteamVR will be using DP, not HDMI for it's interface so even a later revision that is 2x2K or 2x4K will work fine with a Fury X VR.

Reviewing what HDMI 2.0 provides, I won't need it at all. If I did want to run 4K, it would definitely be over DP.
No controversy there.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Also Fury does not support HDMI 2.0, so there's that to consider as you start getting into the higher resolutions.

What does that have to do with anything?
VR goggles don't use HDMI 2.0, so, what does it matter what Fury supports at this stage of the game?

All we know is, the Fury is being touted as a good match for Oculus Rift gear.