AMD Fury X Postmortem: What Went Wrong?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
15.15 drivers was used. What older drivers support Fury X?

There are two 15.15 drivers (15.15 and 15.15b I think). The second one was specifically a game ready driver for Batman AK. I don't have GTA V so I don't know if 15.15b does cause issues, but those are the two versions.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
ShintaiDK

I will give them credit. Compared to the previous flagship, Hawaii, The Fiji gets them closer to the rearview mirror of the TitanX and GTX980TI and in a few cases they take the lead. The problem is Nvidia has so much headroom in the Maxwell. Nvidia partners just bump the stock core a bit and are safely in the lead.

Hawaii took the lead away from the original Titan (barely). It wasn't until the 780Ti came out that nVidia regained the title - and released a lower end product that beat their top-end product (except in double precision compute).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
With the Fury X atleast AMD fans can be happy that it performs just as well as 980ti, consumes less power and costs the same too so atleast it does not lose even though it does not win.

It performs almost as well. Regarding "consumes less power", I hope you're referring to that it consumes less than past AMD halo cards. If you're referring to that it consumes less than a 980 Ti, you'll have to point me to a review that says so. Everything I've seen shows it consumes more.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
That's why they went with $650 too. While we all know it would be more attractive at $550, if they sell out all of their limited stock anyway then pricing it any lower would be them throwing away money.

It does hurt mind share a bit though, as many see AMD is idiotic to price it the same a 980 Ti when it is slower.

Finally someone with a business sense!

You always price your products at the highest point the market will bear. AMD being able to command $650 from the Fury X is a very good thing for AMD. Demand still outstrips demand, and AMD will do their best to make the most of that situation.

AMD is probably keeping all but the best Fiji cores for Fury production and we don't know where the pipeline bottleneck exists, it could very easily be the AIO and potentially more so due to pump revisions.