Discussion AMD FSR vs Nvidia DLSS2.0 vs Temporal Super Resolution (TSR)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
"Edge of Eternity" is one of the first games that have FSR and DLSS I assume.
This is an interesting interview with the game developer about the difference between both.
It looks indeed that the difference between FSR and DLSS may not be worth it to implement both.

Cost to add it
I think FSR being very easy to integrate means more games are going to get it, DLSS is more complicated to integrate.

Quality
Quality-wise, when there is a lot of pixel info available for upscaling to 4K, both technologies give amazing results, and I have a hard time seeing differences between them. I’d even say that I slightly prefer the FSR for 4K resolution since it doesn’t introduce any artifacts/minor blurriness that DLSS can sometimes introduce. For lower resolutions like upscaling to 1080p or 720p, I think DLSS gives a better result since it can reconstruct parts of missing details due to the nature of the technique.

I didn't expect him to say this below, since now people assume DLSS2.0 is still always better:
I slightly prefer the FSR for 4K resolution since it doesn’t introduce any artifacts/minor blurriness that DLSS can sometimes introduce

From another interview with AMD it was clear they were already busy with FSR2.0
I wonder if this will have time involved because that introduces artifacts, so may be harder to get right, certainly if you compare it to a good FSR 1.0
The likely comment for FSR2.0 will then probably be: looks a bit better than FSR1.0 but has sometimes extra artifacts.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I did a quick fsr test in Chernobylite, on my tertiary system with 7950+2500k, if anyone cares (non monetized channel-just for fun).

The performance improvement was great. Lying in bed when I did this (~4m from the 40'' screen), I couldn't even see the image quality difference. Up close however, it was quite lacking.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Reactions: Tlh97 and Mopetar

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000