AMD Freesync - Why Fullscreen only?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You seem to think Freesync is somehow standardized and people want to look at tons of reviews or do research. You can't just pick a Freesync monitor and be assured it goes down to 30hz and to 144hz without research.

Do you seriously think the mainstream consumer knows what tftcentral.co.uk is lol?

I never said Gsync is better because it costs more. I said people pay for the convenience of not having to think about the tons of variables of Freesync whether thats the refresh range being all over the place for every monitor, having to edit your monitors refresh range via CRU so that you can get it to have a decent range, having to stay up to date on how Freesync is finally adding features back in like support for borderless fullscreen that should have been available at the start. Etc.

You seem to think Freesync is the best choice for everyone simply because it's cheap....

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
Gsync had no boarderless Mode from The beginning they patched it afterwards

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
You seem to think Freesync is somehow standardized and people want to look at tons of reviews or do research. You can't just pick a Freesync monitor and be assured it goes down to 30hz and to 144hz without research.
No, but I do think that the amount of people that do not check the frequencies before buying their monitor and yet can tell the difference after buying said screen isn't particularly large.

Do you seriously think the mainstream consumer knows what tftcentral.co.uk is lol?
Google: "Acer Predator Z271 review" - second hit. They're always up there if they have a review for a specific model, so yes, I do think that the mainstream consumer has a fair chance of being exposed to them.

I never said Gsync is better because it costs more. I said people pay for the convenience of not having to think about the tons of variables of Freesync whether thats the refresh range being all over the place for every monitor, having to edit your monitors refresh range via CRU so that you can get it to have a decent range, having to stay up to date on how Freesync is finally adding features back in like support for borderless fullscreen that should have been available at the start. Etc.
GSync is plug and play. FreeSync is plug and play. GSync worked well from day one. FreeSync worked from day one and has been getting improvements that you don't have to follow to take up on. That whole CRU editing thing is something that only well educated customers / technophiles would know about, so how is that an argument for GSync for them?

You seem to think Freesync is the best choice for everyone simply because it's cheap....
No. But I see that I can choose between cheap and expensive options with FreeSync, whereas I only get expensive options with GSync. I also see how new panels get the FreeSync treatment first (like that 27" 1440p VA panel from Samsung) whereas that used to be the other way around some 18 months ago with the 27" 1440p IPS panel from LG that was sold with Asus ROG and Acer Predator branding afaik. That makes me think that the panel manufacturers have lost interest in GSync.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
We're talking about at worst semi-enthusiast PC gamers who are at least able oto putting a rig together. The capability to look up a review or spec sheet is a given. The majority of the people in the market for a Gsync or Freesync display aren't the mainstream consumer.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

Can you link to any 144hz freesync monitor that doesn't have LFC and thus needs to go all the way to 30hz and can't? Why would you buy a 144hz monitor and play at / under 40fps? Frame doubling to 60+ hz will feel much better than lowering the refresh rate down to 30hz as well.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
So to sum this up, as always, amd would be the choice every consumer chooses but evil corporations and fanboys mislead consumers into buying the competition.

Ya... I'll never believe that. The competition has good selling points. Great that y'all choose freesync, I did too, but I'm not oblivious to gsync benefits or Nvidia benefits in general. The fact that many amd purchasers can't see the benefits in Nvidia products is sad and shows the same bias that many amd users accuse Nvidia users of having.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
So to sum this up, as always, amd would be the choice every consumer chooses but evil corporations and fanboys mislead consumers into buying the competition.

Ya... I'll never believe that. The competition has good selling points. Great that y'all choose freesync, I did too, but I'm not oblivious to gsync benefits or Nvidia benefits in general. The fact that many amd purchasers can't see the benefits in Nvidia products is sad and shows the same bias that many amd users accuse Nvidia users of having.

You seem rather bitter? If you actually bothered to read the thread, you'd have seen that I enjoy using both my BenQ XL2730Z Freesync monitor, as well as my Gsync G752GY Asus Laptop, both are now great. I did prefer Gsync for a long time, as it could do borderless modes, but now that AMD added borderless to Freesync, they are identical technologies (bar the cost!).

The point is that no-one is saying that one technology is better than the other, as they are practically identical. It's just that one attracts a large price premium over the other, that's the only difference now :)

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Yay for borderless full-screen window mode in Freesync!

Freesync was worth it without the feature as it's about 30% less than the few GSync equivalents out there (at least here in America) but it's even better with the feature.

If AMD had anything current to compete with the 1070 I'd never see a reason to recommend an nVidia graphic card ever. Alas... that is not the case.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah the small remaining feature gap between FreeSync and Gsync is now closed, between LFC and this update. The only difference is that Gsync costs a lot more now. We really just need them to standardize to one method, it really sucks that you cant be cross compatible with a monitor purchase. I dont want to be locked in to either vendor.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah the small remaining feature gap between FreeSync and Gsync is now closed, between LFC and this update. The only difference is that Gsync costs a lot more now. We really just need them to standardize to one method, it really sucks that you cant be cross compatible with a monitor purchase. I dont want to be locked in to either vendor.

I agree, thats why when i build my next system and get a dedicated gaming monitor im going to have to really do my homework, because im not buying a monitor every time i upgrade my GPU, ill have to pick one side or the other and be stuck with them for 5-10 years(life of monitor)

The sad thing is even if monitor companies do start to offer both freesync and gsync in same monitor options they will be more expensive than either freesync or gsync alone would be.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Nvidia will inevitably have to support the AdaptiveSync standard. They are just trying to eek out as many gsync sales as possible for now. Hopefully they will support it all the way back through maxwell or even kepler, not just Volta or w/e is current when they finally support it.

AMD will never support GSync because Freesync has the same functionality without the cost and they'd probably have to pay nvidia a fee to support it.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Nvidia will inevitably have to support the AdaptiveSync standard. They are just trying to eek out as many gsync sales as possible for now. Hopefully they will support it all the way back through maxwell or even kepler, not just Volta or w/e is current when they finally support it.

AMD will never support GSync because Freesync has the same functionality without the cost and they'd probably have to pay nvidia a fee to support it.
Nvidia can still keep gsync, even making it more profitable, just by using the normal free standard and keeping the gsync requirements and Nvidia verification system. Then just have Nvidia gpus only work with gsync branded monitors. Keeps all of the gsync limitations without the gsync module cost....

In reality it's just poor business to use the module as its not needed to lock down the ecosystem.

Freesync adoption is directly tied to how fast people adopt and gpus and how hard amd markets the tech.

We just need a universal standard though ASAP

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

There already is a standard. AdaptiveSync is a display port standard.

Freesync is AMD's drivers on top of AdaptiveSync which allows for LFC and their own certification.

Nvidia would never have "Freesync", but it can easily support AdaptiveSync. And yes they could keep calling it GSync or NSync or whatever they wanted.

Reactions: Dave2150

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

We already have one, its called displayport, and its what AMD is using for freesync, and what Nvidia should be using instead of using a useless piece of hardware module as a excuse to ramp up monitor prices and instill a gsync tax.

Reactions: Dave2150

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
A universal standard everyone uses... Just because you call a standard universal doesn't mean it is. Nvidia doesn't use the adaptive sync standard and amd does....

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
A universal standard everyone uses... Just because you call a standard universal doesn't mean it is. Nvidia doesn't use the adaptive sync standard and amd does....

Just because Nvidia doesn't support the standard doesn't mean it's not a standard. It just means Nvidia cares less about supporting features gamers want and instead trying to milk out extra money for those features others get for free.

Intel and AMD both support the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync standard

NEWARK, CA (12 May 2014) – The Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA®) today announced the addition of ‘Adaptive-Sync’ to its popular DisplayPort™ 1.2a video interface standard. This technology delivers several important capabilities to computer users: Adaptive-Sync provides smoother, tear-free images for gaming and judder-free video playback. It also significantly reduces power consumption for static desktop content and low frame rate video.

Adaptive-Sync is a proven and widely adopted technology. The technology has been a standard component of VESA’s embedded DisplayPort (eDP™) specification since its initial rollout in 2009. As a result, Adaptive-Sync technology is already incorporated into many of the building block components for displays that rely on eDP for internal video signaling. Newly introduced to the DisplayPort 1.2a specification for external displays, this technology is now formally known as DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

“VESA is constantly evaluating new methods and technologies that add value to both the end user and our OEM member companies. Adaptive-Sync delivers clearly visible advantages to the user for gaming and live video, and contributes to the development of sleeker mobile system designs by reducing battery power requirements, ”said Bill Lempesis, VESA Executive Director. “VESA has developed a test specification to certify Adaptive-Sync compliance. Systems that pass Adaptive-Sync compliance testing will be allowed to feature the official Adaptive-Sync logo on their packaging, informing consumers which DisplayPort-certified displays and video sources offer Adaptive-Sync.”

Implementation of DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is offered to VESA members without any license fee.

http://www.vesa.org/news/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-popular-displayport-video-standard/

Nvidia already used it for "Gsync" laptops.

Reactions: Final8ty