Question AMD EPYC 7742 Benchmarks and Review Simply Peerless

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I'm waiting for Markfw's benchmark :)

At $6950 honestly... that's not terrible. If I didn't have a wife and a mortgage and two kids I might consider it!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

At $6950 honestly... that's not terrible. If I didn't have a wife and a mortgage and two kids I might consider it!
What benchmark do you want ? I only have dual 7601's, they pale in comparison to the 7742's.

Yes, If I had $15,000 I would have a pair of 7742's

Reactions: soresu and scannall

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
The bottom line is this: if you are buying servers right now, and not at least pricing out AMD EPYC 7002 series CPUs, whether that is the EPYC 7742 or another lower-end SKU, then you are effectively wasting money for your organization. If you have employees who are not bringing you competitive AMD EPYC 7002 quotes along with Xeon quotes, then they are not doing their jobs getting competitive bids. In a world where AMD only has a 0-20% performance edge, that would not be the case. Instead, AMD’s price and performance is closer to 2x. Even for many corporate contracts with large IT vendors like Dell and HPE where putting volume against certain SKUs yields discounts, the AMD EPYC 7742 can have a big enough impact that renders those discounts not attractive. This is especially so with use-cases such as general virtualization platforms where AMD can consolidate multiple mainstream Xeon sockets into each EPYC 7742 socket. If Intel is competing on price and selling what it has, great. If you are not evaluating EPYC 7742 or other SKUs in their stack, then you are not doing your organization justice.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Did you read the replies to the article?

2nd or 3rd reply had someone who had an idiot boss who wouldn't even consider AMD. "nothing but compatibility problems" or words to that effect.

IMO that person's boss should be fired for incompetence.

Reactions: Thunder 57

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
What benchmark do you want ? I only have dual 7601's, they pale in comparison to the 7742's.

Yes, If I had $15,000 I would have a pair of 7742's
I was joking a little bit :)

I personally wonder if dual 7742s would even be perfectly compatible with Cinebench R20. I think LinusTechTips did a video with 7742 and it just crushed Cinebench, but he mentioned something about it having issues he had to work around, IIRC.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

I think you can get about $10k on the black market per child. That’s enough to cover a a board, chips, and sufficient RAM.

You could probably get another $10K for the wife but I’d keep her around so you can have more children for the next upgrade cycle.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I think you can get about $10k on the black market per child. That’s enough to cover a a board, chips, and sufficient RAM.

You could probably get another $10K for the wife but I’d keep her around so you can have more children for the next upgrade cycle.
What a distasteful racist joke... Black market...

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
The relative pricing was extremely low. I don't know were you trying to be an ironic or out of touch?

Ok Hipsoomer
Price per core is low, so it's not a terrible price, relatively speaking. But because it has 64 cores, it means that it's still not compatible with a typical person's life. I'm not sure how you got that I didn't read the article out of that.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Price per core is low, so it's not a terrible price, relatively speaking. But because it has 64 cores, it means that it's still not compatible with a typical person's life. I'm not sure how you got that I didn't read the article out of that.

I was going to let it go but, you asked. It's the loaded language. "Not terrible" Logically yes you are correct.

It's like saying:

amrnuke they don't smell, relatively speaking. If they weren't burdened by family I might consider them.

Sadly here we are.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I was going to let it go but, you asked. It's the loaded language. "Not terrible" Logically yes you are correct.

It's like saying:

amrnuke they don't smell, relatively speaking. If they weren't burdened by family I might consider them.

Sadly here we are.
I'd like to know, still, how your conclusion was that I didn't read the article. Or do you usually throw around baseless accusations?

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I'd like to know, still, how your conclusion was that I didn't read the article. Or do you usually throw around baseless accusations?

The whole 3rd page was about how good the prices were. You chose to characterize them as "not terrible."

If you read that last page and come away with such a conclusion, I find it is so off base I chose to state as so.

Moreover, you discounted the benchmarks choosing Markfw as the source to wait for. None of this does justice to the product or the article.

Your original post derailed the thread to the point were people were selling children.

• Haha
Reactions: amrnuke

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Your original post derailed the thread to the point were people were selling children.
To be fair, incredibly reasonable pricing or not $7000 is still an insane amount for the average person to consider, to the point that selling children or bodily organs becomes a jokingly viable source of income to pay for it.

Of course, that's still nothing to the $50,000 that LinusTechTips paid for the 8K RED Weapon cinecam they use.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
To be fair, incredibly reasonable pricing or not $7000 is still an insane amount for the average person to consider, to the point that selling children or bodily organs becomes a jokingly viable source of income to pay for it.

Of course, that's still nothing to the $50,000 that LinusTechTips paid for the 8K RED Weapon cinecam they use.

Actually $7000 is a really good price. Intel was (is?) charging upwards of $12,000 for some of their top end server chips.

Here's an 18 core high-end Xeon part released just 6 months ago that goes for $10,000. I don't think they have the really high-end (28 core) chips available yet, but in the past those have been even more expensive. Sure they also have far more modestly priced options but this is $7,000 for the best server chip you can possible buy in the general sense and AMD also has far more modestly priced offerings as well.

This isn't something for the average person. It's not even something for most enthusiasts. You buy one of these if you're running a data center or have some insanely taxing workloads. It's the same as the camera example you use because an 8K RED camera isn't for the average person either.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
The whole 3rd page was about how good the prices were. You chose to characterize them as "not terrible."

If you read that last page and come away with such a conclusion, I find it is so off base I chose to state as so.

Moreover, you discounted the benchmarks choosing Markfw as the source to wait for. None of this does justice to the product or the article.

You thought that I didn't read the article because I said that $6950 was not a terrible price for the best chip in the entire tested lineup?

Rather than argue about it, let me educate you on the elements of my post.

Perhaps you didn't know that "not terrible" (similar usage as to "not bad", "not too shabby", "not gonna lie", etc) is a common (if ironic) phrasing for affirmation and positivity. Here's an article talking about it, it's the last point. And another about its etymology. Usage such as mine, indicating "actually quite good" when saying "not bad" or other "not (insert negative)" has been around for >100 years. So when someone replies to your "How's your day?" with a "Not too bad, yours?" you should probably not respond to them the way you responded to me. It's not all that nice, and it seems ignorant.

As for waiting for Markfw's benchmarks, there's something humans engage called "humor". Here's a Wikipedia link for you to read about it. There are literally millions of videos on YouTube freely accessible for you to see what it is. George Carlin might be a harsh entry, but Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan are great places to start. Also, there are many comedy clubs where you can go have a drink and watch them live, which is really fun to do with a partner or loved one. And wait til I tell you how many comedy specials there are on Netflix and Hulu and Amazon Prime!

• Haha
Reactions: Mopetar and Markfw