AMD E1-2500 (1.4GHz) enough for office work?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
Either way pick a Dual-Core Haswell if you want a more powerful processor. The 2Ghz 4C of a6-5200 will be good to your uses.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
It will be fine for regular office work short of financial style spreadsheet crunching. However, if it's going to be a desktop and not a mobile platform, I would go with a Celeron, Pentium or AMD A4/6.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's terrible. I mean it. It's HORRIBLE.

How bad is it? I rebuilt a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Dell from 2003 the other day, and IT was faster and more capable.

This. 100%.

OP, get something a little higher on the CPU food chain.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
what hyperbole, the e1-2500 is a faster system than a 2.8GHz single core pentium and uses close to an order of magnitude less power.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/253483?baseline=83115
e1-2500 vs pentium 4 511

the performance will be fine for office tasks but just dont expect much multitasking.

Did you read those benchmarks? The E1 was slower in single-threaded, and even lost/tied some benches even with multi-core benches. It's that bad.

Pentium 4 HT CPUs are weirdly fast in Win7/8 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYw4lBwrIQ

The main problem with buying something like an E1 is that it's so unnecessary. Any Phenom II or even Athlon II will be heaps better, and those are super easy to find used for peanuts. Why subject yourself to Atom-like performance on purpose? In particular in a non-mobile situation? Hell, a used Athlon 64 3800+ X2 from almost ten years back will make the E1 look like a pocket calculator.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
...and the Pentium AIOs, mere $50 more, should be competitive with to significantly faster than those Athlon IIs.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
except every time you go to www.google.com.

AES is extremely common, they wouldn't implemented AES based instructions in hardware on a consumer chip if it wasn't............. lets not make stuff up please............

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Unless you want to tell me than a Phenom II is too slow to google search :p

LOL

MarkLuvsCS

Jun 13, 2004
I would definitely recommend going the pentium route. The low end AMD chips are absolute garbage in comparison. Set one up for a friend for a simple little file server, and just getting on windows 7 was brutal. Single threaded performance is where AMD fails horribly, and yet that is exactly the scenario your looking at: basic email, web surfing, etc. The Pentium should be snappy for those simple tasks with far superior ST performance.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
AMD makes some great processors imho, it's just that I'd wish herpes on someone before an E1.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I would definitely recommend going the pentium route. The low end AMD chips are absolute garbage in comparison. Set one up for a friend for a simple little file server, and just getting on windows 7 was brutal. Single threaded performance is where AMD fails horribly, and yet that is exactly the scenario your looking at: basic email, web surfing, etc. The Pentium should be snappy for those simple tasks with far superior ST performance.

AMD jaguar does have better single threaded performance than baytrail pentiums[clock for clock that is]. I dont know why so many decry AMDs jaguar apus by comparing them to bobcat apus?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Oh come on, a 1.4GHz Jaguar CPU isn't that bad. Don't get it confused with the Brazos E1 series. I had a 1GHz Brazos netbook, and that was damn slow for sure, but it could browse forums and edit text just fine. I'm sure something with 40% higher clock speed and 25% IPC improvement will do alright.

But do look around at similar priced alternatives. As much as I think the E1 would be tolerable, it doesn't make sense if you can get something twice as fast for another $10.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
The e1-2500 is practically 2010 tech. It is comparable in performance to the amd e-350 that came out in Nov 2010 (that is 40 months ago !) In some cases the e1-2500 is 20% faster due to the improved ipc, though it does suffer a 200 mhz deficit compared to the e-350 (a 14% difference in clock speed). Even in 2010 the e-350 was considered low end.

It is inexcusable for such a cpu to be used today in an oem box running a full os such as Windows, to put this cpu in comparison a tegra 4 outperforms it, an atom dual core based off baytrail is about the same performance, a celeron ulv dual core based off ivybridge has about twice the performance and the haswell celerons are even better.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
One possibility none of you has pointed to: replacing the 500 GB HD with an SSD. Even a dog of an SSD will leave a spinning-disk HD in the dust.

OP - make sure you included money for an SSD. It makes a huge difference.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Pentium 4 HT CPUs are weirdly fast in Win7/8 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgYw4lBwrIQ

I do sometimes wonder how CPUs mature. As we all know, Prescott was a big disappointment when it launched, as on the software of the day it was not really any faster than Northwood. But I wonder how they stack up on today's software? All these years later, it's a pretty safe bet that there's plenty of software which will use SSE3 if it's available. And multithreaded apps are much more prevalent, meaning that its improvements in multithreading would have more impact on today's apps. I find it interesting that what could seem like the wrong decisions at the time can prove useful years down the line... when software catches up.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for all the replies! I had no idea the E1-2500 CPU was so old.

Probably going to get the Dell that was recommended, the base model with Intel® Celeron® Processor G1610T (2.3GHz, 2MB) configured with limited 3 year warranty & wireless keyboard/mouse actually came in less than the HP in my op.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I do sometimes wonder how CPUs mature. As we all know, Prescott was a big disappointment when it launched, as on the software of the day it was not really any faster than Northwood. But I wonder how they stack up on today's software? All these years later, it's a pretty safe bet that there's plenty of software which will use SSE3 if it's available. And multithreaded apps are much more prevalent, meaning that its improvements in multithreading would have more impact on today's apps. I find it interesting that what could seem like the wrong decisions at the time can prove useful years down the line... when software catches up.

Still doesn't change the fact that Ivy Bridge has 3x the IPC of Pentium 4.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Google is fast regardless of if you have AES on or not.

sigh.... google use SPDY on pretty much everything and it is the basis of HTTP 2.0, fast AES is critical/required to SPDY/HTTP 2.0 to do what it is designed to do. Sure www.google.com is light and clean but there's lots of stuff that isn't. The parallel nature of SPDY with ever growing internet access speeds means the processing load is not something to be laughed off as insignificant.

If your a Cloud Apps kinda person then it will be even more important.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ordering the Touch screen model with Intel® Pentium® processor G2030T(2.6GHz, 3MB) and 1TB hdd, gonna set me back an additional $100 or so. I think she'll enjoy the touch screen and W8 Metro...

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for all the replies! I had no idea the E1-2500 CPU was so old.
It's not old at all. It's a current model, not dissimilar from what's in the new game consoles. It's just made to compete in performance with the likes of Atoms.