AMD dropping socket AM3 support?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I was just wondering, can we expect to see 32nm processors becoming available for socket AM3 in the next year, or is AMD only planning on releasing these under newer socket boards?

I can't seem to find any sort of "product roadmap" online that mentions much of anything as far as any upcoming AM3 (not AM3+) 32nm processors go, and would appreciate it if anyone could point me to something with details.

Thanks!

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Bulldozer is AM3+ only.

Here is a post from JF-AMD http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036916972&postcount=7

JF-AMD said:
I have verified with the desktop guys, Bulldozer is supported on AM3+ only, not AM3.

Additionally Bulldozer might be the last AM3+ releases as well if the following slide is accurate.

i97251_dektop-roadmap-2012-2.jpg

FMx seems to be the architecture for APUs but Zambezi successor, Komodo is also presented as being FMx. Might be a type though since JF-AMD also said in that thread http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037000498&postcount=90

JF-AMD said:
Doubtful. I have no idea what the socket strategy is, but I feel pretty confident that APUs and CPUs will never share sockets.

AM3+ socket supports AM3 CPUs though (?despite AM3+ having a different number of pins?).

Last edited:

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I am thinking/hoping that is a typo. Assuming Komodo doesn't have an iGPU (which it doesn't), FMx doesn't make sense. I seem to remember another slide that mistakenly had Komodo having an iGPU, perhaps that is the source of this mistake?

Mar 11, 2004
Its a gray area. AMD says only AM3+, but several motherboard makers have said their AM3 boards will support Bulldozer. You'd have to check, and I wouldn't buy an AM3 board expecting any compatability. There are 8 series boards that have AM3+ socket too.

In short, no they're not going to make 32nm CPUs for AM3, but some AM3 boards might support Bulldozer.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I am thinking/hoping that is a typo. Assuming Komodo doesn't have an iGPU (which it doesn't), FMx doesn't make sense. I seem to remember another slide that mistakenly had Komodo having an iGPU, perhaps that is the source of this mistake?

The FMx moniker is just a place holder for both Komodo and Trinity. Think of it as a generic name until AMD feels like sharing that information.