Question AMD dropped openCL support on windows?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
It seems AMD has dropped openCL support on windows?

My attempts to work around this result in a hard crash.

edit: I eventually found installing an old driver that supported cl, and then installing a new driver over that works. This is just sad.

Last edited:

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
This could be the beginning of a long transition period to a new compute stack so there's bound to be causalities in the process when replacing complicated software stacks. The condition will only get worse from here on out until the transition is well underway again to improve compatibility with existing applications ...

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The miners are "all" in linux, where opencl is still very much supported.

Most miners have Windows and Linux builds. Anyway, I don't know if it's a mistake or on purpose, but the AMD driver still supports OpenCL, they just stopped including a registry entry to tell Windows that the GPU has OpenCL support. It's a very quick and easy registry addition to fix it. If you do driver upgrades, the registry entry is already there from the older drivers as @Leeea found out, but clean installs require the registry addition.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Interesting. So it seems like it is a bug in the software for the latest package. Good to see there is a workaround and I am sure that it will be fixed soon.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020