AMD drivers update

dn7309

Dec 5, 2012
Why does AMD rarely have driver updates, and when they do it all betas. While Nvidia just send them out every month?

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
It used to be monthly but they changed it because they decided the updates were becoming increasingly inconsequential (or worse, they had more bugs than they fixed).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Why does AMD rarely have driver updates, and when they do it all betas. While Nvidia just send them out every month?
um Nvidia does not have a monthly driver by any means. heck it may be 6 months in between WHQL drivers sometimes.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
It used to be monthly but they changed it because they decided the updates were becoming increasingly inconsequential (or worse, they had more bugs than they fixed).

And now they've gone too far with it. It's looking more and more like there won't be another WHQL Radeon driver until sometime next year, perhaps not until the release of Windows 9.

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
And now they've gone too far with it. It's looking more and more like there won't be another WHQL Radeon driver until sometime next year, perhaps not until the release of Windows 9.

Why are you so concerned with WHQL anyway? They're just paying MS for validation. IIRC that Catalyst 14.8 driver that got pulled for being buggy was WHQL verified. I've had better luck just getting the betas I think

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Why are you so concerned with WHQL anyway? They're just paying MS for validation. IIRC that Catalyst 14.8 driver that got pulled for being buggy was WHQL verified. I've had better luck just getting the betas I think

For the most part, that is correct, however, there is one area where you NEED WHQL drivers.
For WMC, and things of that nature, you can only use WHQL, and that is it. It will not work with non WHQL drivers when you are trying to record "protected" channels.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
but there game support is much much better through drivers.

cool-story-bro-1.jpg

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow you guys just cannot get along can you. I hope OP has gotten at least a partial answer, as these types of threads do not do well for long.

Warnings have been issued.

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Good news about the driver update.

I read the tweets and it sounds like the official 14.4 drivers will soon be replaced by a new official driver. I'm thankful.

Shmee you have me with the 4930k vs my 3930k but I'm running solid at 4.5Ghz so we are pretty close. Like you, I love my dual Sapphire Tri-X 290s in CF (except for COD Ghost ugh!). I have them water cooled with EK blocks and OH can they OC!:awe:():):biggrin:

Last edited:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
um Nvidia does not have a monthly driver by any means. heck it may be 6 months in between WHQL drivers sometimes.

But not usually. They've had five WHQL releases this year. AMD's had one (at least for my HD 7950). That said, I don't have any issue with my games that haven't been there for a long time. Doubt anything new is going to fix something on a 2011 game.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Wow you guys just cannot get along can you. I hope OP has gotten at least a partial answer, as these types of threads do not do well for long.

Warnings have been issued.

Posting crystal clear flame bait (which isn't even true) usually does that :ninja:

dn7309

Dec 5, 2012
Posting crystal clear flame bait (which isn't even true) usually does that :ninja:

What kind of bait are you talking about? I have AMD Cat 14.4 that was released in April while I see headline from Techpowerup announcing Nvidia release WHQL drivers on a monthly basis.

AMD betas drivers are causing more problem for my 290X (higher temperate and black screens) so I wanted to know why AMD are slow to release fixes for driver compared to Nvidia.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
AMD betas drivers are causing more problem for my 290X (higher temperate and black screens) so I wanted to know why AMD are slow to release fixes for driver compared to Nvidia.

I think that a big part of it is that AMD has less headcount than nVidia for their driver team and I am under the impression that AMD's driver team has had to put a lot of work into new features like Free-sync and Mantle. Also current AMD drivers support many more architectures, current drivers support VLIW5, VLIW 4, GCN 1st gen (e.g. HD 7970), GCN 1st gen with Boost (e.g. r9 280x), GCN 2nd gen (e.g. r9 290) and GCN 3rd gen (e.g. r9 285). I think that this is too many new features to work on and that they therefore haven't put the resources into just focusing on improvements. I personally am still using the 12.10 release on my HD 7970, which seem bug free but lack performance optimizations for games released in 2014.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
What kind of bait are you talking about? I have AMD Cat 14.4 that was released in April while I see headline from Techpowerup announcing Nvidia release WHQL drivers on a monthly basis.

You need to goto Guru3d to get your driver fix.

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Why are people obsessed with monthly driver releases? If you were paying attention to Catalyst changelogs from when they still did it, there was virtually nothing in them all the time. That's pointless.

But suure, whoever releases drivers the most frequently is logically the better manufacturer... really?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
but there game support is much much better through drivers.

Not true. Lay off the green goop.

AMD's last WHQL are the 14.4's from 4/24/2014... that's ridiculous IMO. Users are forced to use beta's. Their beta's are for the most part solid like with nVidia, but personally I don't like using them.

I'd like quarterly WHQL's from AMD. I don't like the beta's, but when I sign on to AMD Driver site, i'm still given 14.4's or much newer Beta's.... I think the WHQL version pre date the Watchdogs fix...

User's should not have to be using beta drivers to get drivers newer than 6 months.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Slightly confused but, aren't the latest AMD drivers a Catalyst 14.8 WHQL from a few weeks ago?