Discussion AMD Delays Ryzen 9 3950X Launch, Announces Third-Gen Threadripper With 24 Cores

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Just when Intel has been caught with their pants down, AMD is going easy on them? Yeah, sure 16 Core Zen2 is overkill now for the desktop but I think AMD is missing on a chance to beat Intel so bad that people will feel sorry for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Do you think it's because of lack of demand for it, or they ordered a larger supply of them vs. their other models?

Looking at Microcenter the 3700x is the only current AMD offering that's holding it's launch price. It's the only AMD offering that carries no discount other than the MB bundle. I'd tend to believe it's strong sales keeping it's pricing up.

3900x is still MIA on the website.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
There is no reason to use these not quite MI50 dies for Radeon VII when they could come out with a MI 40-45

Why does everyone consider the Radeon VII dies to be not-quite-MI50 dies? They are literally the exact same config as an M50 but mildly higher stock boost. They are just a different product using the SAME dies, it's not a way to use dies that won't work for MI50. AMD needed a higher performance part at the beginning of the year and Navi wasn't ready yet so they whipped the VII together, and disabled PCIe4 as a product segmentation thing. Annoying that they did that, but hey they left us with 1:4 FP64 was pretty cool of them, it makes the VII the second fastest video card on the market for FP64, only trailing the Titan V.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Do you think it's because of lack of demand for it, or they ordered a larger supply of them vs. their other models?

Probably a packaing thing and not wafer/die supply. Ordered too few 3900x compared to 3700x. I don't now the numbers but $500 cpus usually aren't in very high demand so that's maybe why AMD ordered too little 3900x.

EDIT:

Looking at mindfactory chart the 3700x is selling pretty much the same as 3600(x). 3900x has much lower numbers (about 1/3-1/4 with eyeballing), yet it is out of stock and there are back-orders. Since these are units sold (not ordered) and supply is running dry (much lower sales of 3900x in aug vs july). we can assume AMD ordered 4-5 times fewer 3900x vs 3700x.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Some FUD by Digitimes :

I once stated that they are completely sold out to Intel, an article below to point the thing :

Rarely did i read something as stupid and biaised at the same (digi?) time for both article i linked, they should change their name for DJ Time...

Reactions: lightmanek