AMD Catalyst 14.9.1 Beta Driver for Windows Available Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
No. The beta was targeted to people that had issues installing 14.9

Exactly.

I couldn't install 14.9 at all. At the end of the installation there was a message saying some features weren't install such as the driver.

Then trying to install over 14.7 worked ishh but all the games were restarting PC, no BSOD, just reset.

Then with 14.9.1, everything is more than fine. Games run smooth, I'm happy.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Hey guys I just came across this on the web and I'm hoping it will help you out:

I found a solution that seems to be working. I'll update this post if it stops working again.

I went to power settings -> Advance power settings:

Under PCI Express -> Link state power management: I set it to off. It was on moderate.

Under Hard Disk - > Turn off hard drisk after: I set it to 120. It was 20.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Looks like the repeated budget cuts at AMD have taken their toll on the driver division.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Looks like the repeated budget cuts at AMD have taken their toll on the driver division.

not true. amd drivers has always been a day late and a dollar short.

only reason for not regretting this recent switch from all green to all red was. it was a 2 for 1 deal given the same performance.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

That was ATI, pre-Catalyst. ATI post-Catalyst and AMD have been very solid, with the one off miss fires, for over 10 years now.

Takes a very long time to shake that that reputation though, ATI's pre-Catalyst drivers were bad enough to sink multiple product lines of theirs.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Hey guys I just came across this on the web and I'm hoping it will help you out:

Lol this worked for my Crossfire enabling-disabling problem, where my PC was freezing, but the problem remains that when using crossfire, whatever I run, the system still freezes! :S

Anyone knows when a new driver is coming out?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Exactly.

I couldn't install 14.9 at all. At the end of the installation there was a message saying some features weren't install such as the driver.

Then trying to install over 14.7 worked ishh but all the games were restarting PC, no BSOD, just reset.

Then with 14.9.1, everything is more than fine. Games run smooth, I'm happy.

Great news. Make those quad 290x water-cooled beasts work!

How's the little guy doing? Have you started building him his own rig yet?:biggrin:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
... Or you could use the GPU just sitting there on your CPU for the second monitor.

Just saw this and wanted to explain.

Each monitor I use has features that do not function via mobo DVI.

Overlord requires dual-link DVI, which is not mobo spec. My BenQ uses Lightboost which is not an option via the mobo DVI.

So I would still like to see an option where my cards run cool/quiet when I'm not gaming while using multimonitor.

The VRAM pegged at max has been an issue for me since the 58xx days and my first experiences with Eyefinity. While I've accepted it as an annoyance, I'd like to see someone address it at some point and it certainly seems like something a driver could affect.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Just saw this and wanted to explain.

Each monitor I use has features that do not function via mobo DVI.

Overlord requires dual-link DVI, which is not mobo spec. My BenQ uses Lightboost which is not an option via the mobo DVI.

So I would still like to see an option where my cards run cool/quiet when I'm not gaming while using multimonitor.

The VRAM pegged at max has been an issue for me since the 58xx days and my first experiences with Eyefinity. While I've accepted it as an annoyance, I'd like to see someone address it at some point and it certainly seems like something a driver could affect.
Ah, I see. I hope Broadwell or Skylake fixes that.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012

only reason for not regretting this recent switch from all green to all red was. it was a 2 for 1 deal given the same performance.

Since when has anything been a day late and a dollar short? I haven't even noticed a difference with these drivers and my card performs better than my friends nvidia. Ask them to play Ryse. Not happening! Tired of people making [things] up about AMD's drivers. They're just fine.

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 1999
Can't speak for anyone else, but my system running Vista still handles everything I need it to. The waste of time would be installing something else. But that's not the topic at hand.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Since when has anything been a day late and a dollar short? I haven't even noticed a difference with these drivers and my card performs better than my friends nvidia. Ask them to play Ryse. Not happening! Tired of people making [things] up about AMD's drivers. They're just fine.

how many amd gpu are you running and which amd gpu?

Last edited by a moderator:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
any news on windows 8.0 support (supposedly a future wddm 1.1 driver would work) or 14.4 is the newest that works?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I have a single 290X and my system exhibits weird behavior after updating to 14.9.1 if it's been idle for a while... basically it seems like Disk I/O stops working. Programs that are already running will still work, until they need to hit the disk, then they freeze. I can no longer launch explorer or any other program at that point either. The system will not shutdown either.

If I force restart it, then it's fine until the system remains idle for a bit again. If I uninstall Catalyst 14.9.1 and use the built-in windows driver, the program goes away. Is this happening to anyone else?

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Anyone else have issues in BF4 with 4k or crossfire?

Idk if it's the game (buggy) or the driver but I can't play for a long time without a crash. Sometimes just the game, sometimes the whole rig.

On second thought maybe I should stress test my GPUs for a while and make sure they are ok.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
wand3r3r:

You're not alone with BF4 issues using this 14.9.1b dvr (XSPC RAZOR 290X - CF, 2650 x 1440p).

The old 14.6.rc2 dvr works best for me.

Win7 64-Bit SP1 Ultimate.

Last edited:

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Anyone else have issues in BF4 with 4k or crossfire?

Idk if it's the game (buggy) or the driver but I can't play for a long time without a crash. Sometimes just the game, sometimes the whole rig.

On second thought maybe I should stress test my GPUs for a while and make sure they are ok.

yes. BF4 with 5760x1080 with 290x x4. not exact same configuration/issue but pretty sure the culprit is the same.

a memory leak. a major one too. pretty sure it is leaking at 1920x1080 too. just not a large enough leak to make a sudden impact. so it goes un diagnose. however at a larger resolution (i.e. 5760x1080 or 3840x2160), it is large enough to cause evitable impact.

not sure who is to blame (amd driver or bf4 or both). this memory leak will cause BF4 to call upon virtual memory until it runs out and then crash.

with 32GB of physical ram. regardless the setting. only 6GB of physical ram will get used. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: everything is funnel to virtual memory.

with virtual memory set to 16MB. it crashes right away.
with virtual memory set to 16GB and it will run until virtual memory fills up and then crashes. verified by hwinfo/rivatuner.

work around bandage for now is - to set virtual memory to 160GB and restart bf4 every so often before it fills up.

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I think these latest AMD 49 series drivers are CRAP.

WTF are these AMD Software Writers trying to achieve?

Really - Give her up to ATi Canada.

Anand is probably going to boot me for that remark but I stand my ground - WHQL: What a F++++ JOKE - ROLF ;o)

Last edited: