AMD Catalyst™ 13.2 Beta 6 Driver

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
If the drop in score correlated with the memory clock increase, you might have the "memory hole" issue discussed in this thread.

Interesting. That does appear to be what happened when going from 1400 to 1450.

Edit:
Just ran it again at 1150/1400 (updated 2 posts above) and it seems to have dipped again. Is it just this benchmark? Hard to believe going from 1020 to 1150 nets almost no increase.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Interesting. That does appear to be what happened when going from 1400 to 1450.

Edit:
Just ran it again at 1150/1400 (updated 2 posts above) and it seems to have dipped again. Is it just this benchmark? Hard to believe going from 1020 to 1150 nets almost no increase.

You probably have the memory hole at 1400, but there's something else going on here. Your extremeHD secures are just too low for a 7950, especially at the the higher clocks. Do a clean driver install, check that no features are enabled in CCC, and run again while monitoring gpu usage.

Looks like vsync to me.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
13.2 beta 3 didn't fully fix the DirectX 9 texture flickering problem for me, but beta 6 feels like it's aggravated the problem. Reverting back to see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Nope, texture flickering is the same.

Last edited:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
13.2 beta 3 didn't fully fix the DirectX 9 texture flickering problem for me, but beta 6 feels like it's aggravated the problem. Reverting back to see if it makes a difference.

You are the only person I have seen on a couple of different forums that still has flickering. You might have something else going on with your system.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Is this flicker thing exclusive to the 78xx series? I've been recently playing a few DX9 games and thankfully have no experienced any flickering. But I have a ref 7970.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Like Despoiler said many are stating that these drivers resolve those issues. Maybe try to do a removal/cleaning of all older drivers first and see if something left over is causing your problems.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Who the hell would be playing these newer games on RC11 drivers, when these games came out much later on? Also, new kinds of games usually need intensive driver optimization, so there's usually a much improved driver version that's already available even before the game is officially launched, thanks to the driver team working with the developer during beta process.

Not [H] at all to me.. :whiste:

That article was about looking how AMD improved it's driver performance throughout 2012, looking at games released in late 2011 (fully optimized), mid-2012 (somewhat optimized) and late-2012 (not optimized) and effects on frame rates.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Like Despoiler said many are stating that these drivers resolve those issues. Maybe try to do a removal/cleaning of all older drivers first and see if something left over is causing your problems.

I completely uninstall AMD drivers through the "Catalyst Install Manager" in "Programs and Features" before installing a different set of drivers; I haven't tried using a third party driver cleaner though.

Here's a video demonstrating what I'm talking about, captured using MSI afterburner (which I do not have running in the background during normal gameplay):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrTNwYGuymY

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I completely uninstall AMD drivers through the "Catalyst Install Manager" in "Programs and Features" before installing a different set of drivers; I haven't tried using a third party driver cleaner though.

Here's a video demonstrating what I'm talking about, captured using MSI afterburner (which I do not have running in the background during normal gameplay):

I honestly don't see the problem in that video. If you're sure it's there, can you point out where to look and at what point in the video to find it?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I honestly don't see the problem in that video. If you're sure it's there, can you point out where to look and at what point in the video to find it?

There's flickering all over the gear on the character's back.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
There's flickering all over the gear on the character's back.

Oh, yes, I see that. Ok, it's not as bad as I thought - I was looking for it on the ground.

That's certainly not a hardware problem - so it's either the game or the drivers. Any other games you've seen that in? If there's one I have, I can look for it on my 7870.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Oh, yes, I see that. Ok, it's not as bad as I thought - I was looking for it on the ground.

That's certainly not a hardware problem - so it's either the game or the drivers. Any other games you've seen that in? If there's one I have, I can look for it on my 7870.

This specific issue has only appeared to that extent in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, and a somewhat lesser extent in Mass Effect 3. Sometimes there's environment texture flickering, but flickering on character textures is more common I get some issues in Batman: Arkham City, though it manifests different (blocky black texture corruption, mainly on characters' faces). I think it might have to do with how the drivers render Unreal Engine 3 games; I heard there was some artifacting in Duke Nukem Forever, which is also based on UE3.

Edit: I uninstalled the Catalyst Install Manager through Programs and Features, uninstalled the VGA drivers through Device Manager, rebooted into Safe Mode (which btw is sort of annoying in Win8; you have to go into MSConfig before you reboot rather than simply hitting F8 as the PC POSTs) and ran DriverSweeper, then rebooted back into normal operation to reinstall 13.2 Beta 3. About as clean an install as one can get short of formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows altogether, but I still got texture flickering.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
This specific issue has only appeared to that extent in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, and a somewhat lesser extent in Mass Effect 3. Sometimes there's environment texture flickering, but flickering on character textures is more common I get some issues in Batman: Arkham City, though it manifests different (blocky black texture corruption, mainly on characters' faces). I think it might have to do with how the drivers render Unreal Engine 3 games; I heard there was some artifacting in Duke Nukem Forever, which is also based on UE3.

Edit: I uninstalled the Catalyst Install Manager through Programs and Features, uninstalled the VGA drivers through Device Manager, rebooted into Safe Mode (which btw is sort of annoying in Win8; you have to go into MSConfig before you reboot rather than simply hitting F8 as the PC POSTs) and ran DriverSweeper, then rebooted back into normal operation to reinstall 13.2 Beta 3. About as clean an install as one can get short of formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows altogether, but I still got texture flickering.

Do you have any videos of the flickering in Batman: AC? I have that installed and can look for the problem if you're able to pinpoint any particular areas it shows up.

And the possibility of a UE3 issue is a good guess, not to say that's not drivers, but it might be engine specific.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Finally got in some BF3 MP last night. Gameplay is very smooth for me and using the in-game performance overlay things are running very smooth on that side as well. Avg FPS around 90+ (on 110Hz) and I was not catching any notable stutter.

If they add anything else when these drivers finally go official, I expect things are going to play rather nicely for me.

EDIT: Is there a test one can take to see MS perceptibility? I'd like to know if I'm one of the lucky that's "immune" to it and can just buy whatever damn cards I want and as many as I want.

Last edited:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
The texture flickering/corruption is kinda common on items that get attached to a character's back. Doesn't matter the engine or game. The ME series in particular does have complaints about it. It's usually because the item isn't placed exactly correctly to the character model and clips. I do not believe this is a driver issue in your case.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000

funny, I was almost unable to find the flickering in that but I thought "I wonder if he's referring to the backpack". So I guess it is there. When I got flickering in borderlands it was huge artifacts all over the screen. But it does appear to be gone with this new driver release! Needless to say, I am ecstatic.

So I guess I'm saying...at least your problem is extremely small =). Too bad the drivers dont fix it completely.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
The texture flickering/corruption is kinda common on items that get attached to a character's back. Doesn't matter the engine or game. The ME series in particular does have complaints about it. It's usually because the item isn't placed exactly correctly to the character model and clips. I do not believe this is a driver issue in your case.

It didn't exist on my Radeon HD 5770.