AMD cancels the driver path for Primitive Shaders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011

They should retest it with the newest patch. ;)

But one have to wonder why it then ends up in upcomming intel product and tens of millions of future apu? Darn huge numbers. For something that even in wolf2 is more performing like a polaris.
Choosing a hardware is harder than this. They analyse the potentially useful features and Vega has a lot. We live in a different world right now. Most of the PC devs don't really code for new effects, they just order it from Intel or AMD or NVidia. So Intel just choose the right hardware for their vision, a hardware that is useful for their researches in graphics and already implemented effects, while it is also good for the special, non-standard intrinsics codes, because some devs just compile the PSSL shaders from PS4 (id software and Ubisoft), and pack some non-standard shader paths for the AMD GPUs. These paths are faster than the standard IRs, and Intel wants to ride the wave.

And if culling can do it. Why then go all the way with the ngg path?
The NGG implementation can be a lot easier. I accept that some devs may not have the money to change the engine, so primitive shader is far better for them.

Other questions arises. Was rx Vega delayed half a year to enable the posibility of this driver path?
I don't think so.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, I just had someone I know bench Wolf on a Vega 56, and GPU Culling was getting him a 5-10% boost at 1440p.

Last edited:
Reactions: Despoiler