AMD Bartons need the copper shim?

Jpark

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2003
I've seen mixed responses on this and I was wondering if the bartons required the copper shim to be used?

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
no its not needed, my last 2 ocs on 2200+ were without a copper shim, if you feel safe by using one, thats cool, at least you know you won't break the core, thats why i used to use them

Whizzy

Oct 11, 1999
Be aware that IF you want to use them, they are of the correct height.. i burned an XP to flames using a shim that was 1 tiny bit higher than my core... like 1 mm or something.

piroroadkill

Sep 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Whizzy
Be aware that IF you want to use them, they are of the correct height.. i burned an XP to flames using a shim that was 1 tiny bit higher than my core... like 1 mm or something.

Very good fuc king point. Make sure the HSF contacts the die first, and always has full contact with the die.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Yeah seat the heatsink on beforehand WITH The shim, take it off and see if there is any thermal compound on the heatsink. That will tell you if the heatsink is actually touching. I've always wanted one as a 'security', but never actually got around to buying a shim.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
There is a shim included with teh Thermalright SI-97.

It's included for a reason, because the SI-97's base isn't large enough to hit the foam-rubber pads on the corners of the processor.

The shim is a safety device for minimizing the chance of chipping a corner of the CPU core. It doesn't really serve a purpose in terms of cooling, that's what the HSF is for.

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
Yeah, when I lost the little rubber rings for the Barton's foam pads, I picked up a shim at Fry's for $4. I needed it with my Noisecontrol Silverado. That beast is huge.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: MDE
No shim needed on any Athlon XPs

Ive never used one and been fine. I think 95% or more of the overclocking population would agree that a shim isnt needed or provides any real benefit.