AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ compatible with this motherboard?

incinerate55

Jan 24, 2005
My motherboard just died, and I'd like to get a motherboard that is AM3 compatible in case I decide to upgrade in the future. I'm a college student low on cash so i want to keep it < $80. I've talked to ASUS and they said my processor wouldn't work with this motherboard, but I don't see why it shouldn't.

The motherboard in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131618

The processor in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103749

This is the list of compatible CPUs for the motherboard: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...px?type=1&name=M4A77D&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

If something like the X2 5400+ will work, then why wouldn't the X2 4600+?

Thanks so much for your help,

incinerate55

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The short answer is: Yes it will work.

The long answer is: Why in gods name are you asking as the motherboard in question clearly states AM2/AM2+/AM3 compatible when the CPU in question clearly states AM2.

I don't mind helping someone out but cmon man.

incinerate55

Jan 24, 2005
Because the compatible CPU list says no, two ASUS techs said no, and the newegg site doesn't list Athlon 64 X2 as a CPU type as it usually would.

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Because the compatible CPU list says no, two ASUS techs said no, and the newegg site doesn't list Athlon 64 X2 as a CPU type as it usually would.

Info on the CPU at the page you provided
NewEgg said:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

The only way Asus people would say no is if you were asking them about a socket 939 Toledo 4600+ x2 being compatible with that motherboard which leads me to ask are you 100&#37; sure you have an AM2 4600+ x2 and not a Socket 929 4600+ x2.

Also, don't always believe what a manufacturer tells you, they often don't test every single chip with every single board but basic CPU support is in probably all bios code for AMD's sockets with the exception of some OEM's and notebooks.

Last edited:

incinerate55

Jan 24, 2005
I was pointing out the fact that on the mobo page it says

"CPU Type Phenom II / Athlon II / Phenom / Athlon /Sempron
AMD 140W CPU Support"

Also, I linked the Asus techs to that exact same newegg page and they both said no, so that's why I'm here because I thought it should work. I just want to be sure so that I don't order it and have it not work.

Farfrumhumpn

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I was pointing out the fact that on the mobo page it says

"CPU Type Phenom II / Athlon II / Phenom / Athlon /Sempron
AMD 140W CPU Support"

Also, I linked the Asus techs to that exact same newegg page and they both said no, so that's why I'm here because I thought it should work. I just want to be sure so that I don't order it and have it not work.

Maybe it was that tech's last day at ASUS and he just wanted to fuck with you btu whatever the reason that guy was a moron. I bet you could drop an old ass AM2 Sempron 3000+ in that mobo and it'd fire right up recognizing the CPU instantly.

Part of the reason us AMD people love AMD mobo's is the infinite range of compatability. If you have an AM2 mobo it'll take AM2 CPU's.

Take the DELL Dimension E520 for example. No official bios or DELL support for the 89w 6000+ x2 Windsor ( 3ghz dual core with 1mb L2 per core ) and no official support for the 5050e either but yet both work perfectly at thier rated specs. Now with the CPU's that have half multipliers the CPU usually rounds itself down to the nearest whole multi like the E520 my friend has, I put a Brisbane 5200+ x2 in her system and it knocked the CPU down from 2.7ghz to 2.6ghz but it still took it and runs fine.

Now, if you had an Intel system and an exact CPU was not listed as being compatible with a mobo even though most of the other CPU's in the same class are, theres a very high chance the system will not even boot.

All this makes me miss my unkown processor with 512kb L2 cache on my old NF7-S that I ran at 2.6ghz :( Unkown processor on intel mobo = no boot :D

Last edited:

Dragonware

Dec 9, 2011
It is good you asked this question. First off most of the newer boards will work with 5000 series AM2 processors but the 4000 series have issues with AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards I found this out. My Asus M4A was fried 2x by the AMD AM2 Athlon X2 4000 series processor first time was 4200 and 4600 2nd time both times I was on the phone with Asus who had no clue when I called and AMD about the 4200 doing this they offered a replacement of the 4600 so I called when i got it in was on the phone when it happed they refused to replace the motherboard. I work out the issue with ASUS. But the question is raised what boards will work with the Am2 Athlon X2 4600
I had a 5200 Put it into a replaced M4A and crossed my finger it worked so AMD know the issue with the AM2/+/AM3 boards but are not working on and outdated processor issue.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Thread back from the dead. Almost 2 years old.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Well for anyone else running across this in the future with the same type of question:

1.) AM2 CPU's have only a DDR2 memory controller in them. Whichever AM2, AM2+, or AM3 motherboard you get, needs to have DDR2 memory slots on it to work with your DDR2 memory you'll need to use with your AM2 CPU.

2.) You need to make sure whatever motherboard you're getting supports, at minimum, the TDP your chip consumes. If your board only can handle 125W CPU and you've got a 140W CPU, then not a good idea to try it.

Chuck