Question AMD Athlon 200GE APUs, how well do they play back 4K UHD 60FPS VP9 video? (Dual-channel required?)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I know for a fact, that the Ryzen 2200G APU, when running with dual-channel memory, can decode 4K60 VP9 like water. It doesn't seem to be able to without dual-channel RAM.

So, my question about the A200GE - does it have the same issue? Or is it too slow, having only 3 CUs, to decode VP9 anyways? (Although, I think Raven Ridge can do VP9 in hardware.)

Just wondering, whether I should build my A200GE rigs that I'm planning, with 1x8GB DDR4-2400 ($45), or 2x4GB DDR4-2400 ($50)?

I do want my customers to be able to watch 4K60 if the APU is capable, and I've done my job properly as a system integrator.

Edit: I decided to just "suck it up", and spend the extra for a 2x4GB kit of Corsair DDR4-2667. Hopefully, it will be worth it, and I'll be able to at least make back what I'm putting into these rigs.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yawn seriously Larry you really think that someone who buy something that low end watches 4K Video? Yes I know that 4K TVs have gone down in price, but really?

Reactions: Tim_Derr

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, there's a sizable amount of 4K content, especially on YT, and if I don't put in dual-channel RAM, then they won't be able to decode that content smoothly. Even if they don't have a full-fat 4K UHD display to show it. (Still has to decode 4K, if source is 4K.)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
So, my question about the A200GE - does it have the same issue? Or is it too slow, having only 3 CUs, to decode VP9 anyways? (Although, I think Raven Ridge can do VP9 in hardware.)

I'd recommend dual channel. It can do 4K30 VP9 single channel, but 4K60 can result in some dropped frames. Better play it safe.

Yes, RR has full hardware VP9 decoding. It can even do 10bit.

But In reality, I wouldn't recommend anything lower then the 2200G for anybody, unless they know exactly what they're getting into, or are on an extremely limited budget. The Athlon is too much a niche part.

Yawn seriously Larry you really think that someone who buy something that low end watches 4K Video? Yes I know that 4K TVs have gone down in price, but really?

Of course. If you just need a cheap way to decode some streaming or local video, then it's perfect. A real PC is just far more flexible in what it can do then the various streaming boxes/SmartTVs.

Not that I have anything against either, but I like the added flexibility.