AMD A10-5800k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
Really ??? we all know it has a iGPU.

Trinity A6-5600K is faster in iGPU and cheaper, i believe you get my point :whiste:

What is your point? To call the i5 an APU now so you can find some metric in which AMD is faster?

I think everyone knows the igpu is faster on AMD and that any intel i5 is faster than any AMD Trinity product in CPU performance by a wide margin. If the i5 is an APU because it has an igp, then Trinity is a "cpu" because it has a cpu, does it not?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Trinity A6-5600K is faster in iGPU and cheaper, i believe you get my point :whiste:

Okay fine, we'll play it your way. An A6-5600K is slower in anything that people use computers for. Since you appear to be talking about games, A 5600K is just as unplayable as a 3750, and loses to it in everything else but corner cases. :rolleyes:

Now stop already. Nobody wants to see you start posting your same charts in this thread that you derail every other thread with.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2013
Anyone here can say that the i5 or the 4300/6300 is faster, but for normal computer use it isn't any. They only time you see any of this performance is in a benchmark.

Personally, I love my A-10 more than I thought I would. I build it as an experimental build with the new Trinity-based CPU's as I was using my Phenom 1090t (still I love it.)

Again, the overclock on this thing is amazing. The other day, I cranked it to 5.6Ghz then stopped. Though, I have heard of it being cranked up to 7.2 ( I think) which is pretty amazing that these chips can handle that. Never saw a i5 do that ;)

Feb 20, 2013
I just see a lot of people down-playing the APU's instantly when they have some real potential (that is, if AMD ever really gets around to it.) I think, as it is said "third times the charm" the next generation of APU's will be pretty fast. I heard a rumor they are making a 6-core APU, but really who needs anything more than quad-core? Lol.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Anyone here can say that the i5 or the 4300/6300 is faster, but for normal computer use it isn't any. They only time I see any of this performance is in a benchmark.

Fixed that for you. Don't tell me that I don't notice the difference, okay?

The other day, I cranked it to 5.6Ghz then stopped.

On air? You just set a world record, by about 500Mhz.

but really who needs anything more than quad-core? Lol.

640K should be enough for anybody - Microsoft. Is it enough for you? No? Then who are you to say what other peoples' needs are?

Edit:
I noticed in your profile you claim to be a Physicist. You are officially the very first Physicist on earth that has enough compute power available to them. :D

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2013

640K should be enough for anybody - Microsoft. Is it enough for you? No? Then who are you to say what other peoples' needs are?

Edit:
I noticed in your profile you claim to be a Physicist. You are officially the very first Physicist on earth that has enough compute power available to them. Congratulations! :D
No, I'm on water. If you are going to complain about telling people things, you should at least read the OP. And, when I said who need more than quad-core, I was speaking in terms of normal computer use.

Edit:
Want to see a real difference? Use a 16-core Opteron. Computing power in terms of Physics is a whole difference ballpark.

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

Edit:
I noticed in your profile you claim to be a Physicist. You are officially the very first Physicist on earth that has enough compute power available to them. :D

I think he's talking everyday, normal Joe Blow usage, which I'll agree on, as I just built my A10 system this week after selling my 2500K @ 4.5GHz.

Take some Nyquil and get some rest.

His O/C numbers seem a little far fetched though :)

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
And, when I said who need more than quad-core, I was speaking in terms of normal computer use.

Define what "normal" computer use is please.

You see we have this happen about very couple of months, somebody new pops up and starts to defend AMD's honor by trying to tell us how people use their computers. Funny that good enough for them just happens to be what AMD is saying is good enough at that particular time.

Well, you know what, I'm just as normal of computer user as anybody else, and I could certainly use more than quad core.

Want to see a real difference? Use a 16-core Opteron. Computing power in terms of Physics is a whole difference ballpark.

Please dude, put the epeen away. You have no idea what my, or other people's on this board, computing experience is. There are people here that run systems that make a 16 core Opteron literally look like a pocket calculator.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Darn, I just ran out of liquid nitrogen. Guess I will have to turn down my over clock. Oh wait, maybe I can borrow some from the guy next door. Nearly everyone has liquid nitrogen sitting around.

Maybe run an extension cord too, you sure as heck don't want the power bill from that thing.

Feb 20, 2013
Define what "normal" computer use is please.

You see we have this happen about very couple of months, somebody new pops up and starts to defend AMD's honor by trying to tell us how people use their computers. Funny that good enough for them just happens to be what AMD is saying is good enough at that particular time.

Well, you know what, I'm just as normal of computer user as anybody else, and I could certainly use more than quad core.

Please dude, put the epeen away. You have no idea what my, or other people's on this board, computing experience is. There are people here that run systems that make a 16 core Opteron literally look like a pocket calculator.
Then I will say I am sorry if I may have offended you and/or personally attacking you. I didn't mean to, just sorta happens in the spur of the moment.

If you or anyone has any links to these systems you are talking about, could you point me in the right direction? Seems interesting...

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Then I will say I am sorry if I may have offended you and/or personally attacking you. I didn't mean to, just sorta happens in the spur of the moment.

If you or anyone has any links to these systems you are talking about, could you point me in the right direction? Seems interesting...

Well, then let me give my apologies too, and welcome to the forums.

Start out by doing some searches in the CPU forum. Rubycon (Dawn) is running systems that will shrivel any guys epeen. There is somebody else that is running some pretty big crunchers, but I forget his name. If I can remember it I'll let you know.
Edit: Here's a couple of year old post from Dawn. Maybe she'll see this and post up something more current. Forget her CPU, I want her SSD array :)
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=31552879&postcount=140

In my work - director of computer services for a $20B health care company - I am responsible for lot of systems in the 16 - 64 core range, both x86 and Power. However they used mainly for virtualized applications and databases, not for compute.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
What is your point? To call the i5 an APU now so you can find some metric in which AMD is faster?

I think everyone knows the igpu is faster on AMD and that any intel i5 is faster than any AMD Trinity product in CPU performance by a wide margin. If the i5 is an APU because it has an igp, then Trinity is a "cpu" because it has a cpu, does it not?

My response was for djshortsleeve commend about using an APU (CPU with iGPU) with a higher discrete GPU when he is doing the same by using the 2500K (CPU with iGPU) paired with HD6870.
Then Phynaz made a commend about performance, i was just making a point that 2500K IS NOT faster in every situation. ;)

I just dont see why using the A10-5800K paired with a higher-end discrete GPU is not a combination to recommend. It may not be the best price/performance product for the job but for people that dont OC is the highest performance Trinity product.

SammichPG

Aug 16, 2012
if you can find one...

I have the strong feel that the NA market got shafted on the trinity athlons, I can buy the 750k from every big italian (or german) online hardware store.

I was really eager to know how they overclock, or how trinity behaves once delidded (they aren't soldered like ivy) but it seems that the enthusiast community cares only about socket 1155.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I have the strong feel that the NA market got shafted on the trinity athlons, I can buy the 750k from every big italian (or german) online hardware store.

Properly yields. I can't see AMD having ANY interest in selling fully functional APU dies with only the CPU portion enabled. The Athlons are properly harvested from dies on which the GPU is defective for some reason...

I was really eager to know how they overclock, or how trinity behaves once delidded (they aren't soldered like ivy) but it seems that the enthusiast community cares only about socket 1155.

Found this article, in Polish, but the graphs should be understandable:

http://pclab.pl/art51678.html

I'll let you form your own opinion. Just remember to take the article with a grain of salt... ;)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Anyone here can say that the i5 or the 4300/6300 is faster, but for normal computer use it isn't any. They only time you see any of this performance is in a benchmark.

Personally, I love my A-10 more than I thought I would. I build it as an experimental build with the new Trinity-based CPU's as I was using my Phenom 1090t (still I love it.)

Again, the overclock on this thing is amazing. The other day, I cranked it to 5.6Ghz then stopped. Though, I have heard of it being cranked up to 7.2 ( I think) which is pretty amazing that these chips can handle that. Never saw a i5 do that ;)

That looks like a fairly tiny cooler... are you able to run at 5.6GHz under load for any amount of time? Do you have any benches? Maybe a screenshot? I'm not calling you a liar, but 5.6GHz under a smallish water cooler seems like a stretch. From what I've seen, under air these things seem to fizzle out somewhere in the mid-4GHz range. Water can often buy you a little more headroom, but 5.6GHz is up there.

I guess if you're not using the integrated GPU that'll save you a good chunk of heat. I'd love to see some performance numbers, temps under stress testing, etc.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I just dont see why using the A10-5800K paired with a higher-end discrete GPU is not a combination to recommend. It may not be the best price/performance product for the job but for people that dont OC is the highest performance Trinity product.

Because it's slow. That's why AMD sends their GPUs out with Intel systems to be reviewed.

Even AMD doesn't recommend it - at least their GPU team.