AMD 690G does not support Vista 64-bit with 4gb ram?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sideeffect

Nov 3, 2007
My board is the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H micro atx. I was using the F3 beta bios that allowed vdimm to 2.4 volts and vcore to 1.55 + chipset voltage increases. It was a really nice bios but it suffered from the white line 4gb ram problem. I just updated to F3 official from gigabytes site and it has fixed my 4gb issue now I am completely stable gaming in vista x64 with 4gb in use and my ATI x1950 GPU + surroundview enabled with 64mb allocated to the onboard gpu. The official F3 doesnt have any voltage adjustments but because I didn't clear the cmos my ram is still at 2.2 volts which is what I had set with the beta bios. So all in all i am happy for now and I just hope I don't have to clear the cmos for any reason :).

joeythecat

Nov 8, 2007
Hi all, just want to say a quick thanks to all for the great info on this thread. I got the same set up: AMD X2 4800+ on a Giga-byte GA MG69GM S2H with 4GB of Crucial Ballistix PC6400 RAM. Vista 64 bit suffered from the white lines whenever UAC popped up or I run some 3rd party app. I went back to vista 32. Bios is at F2 and I didn't bother upgrading it since it only says "support for new semprons". Will try the new bios when I get home tonight.

dmcomputerguy

Dec 4, 2007
I am using the Asus version of this board, the M2A-VM. It had the white line problem when using over 4GB of RAM on Vista 64 bit. Like the other boards mentioned here, it had the AMD 690 chipset. I believe it was the RS690G, but I don't think the details are important.

Tonight, I upgraded the BIOS to a brand new one that was just released. It seems to have solved the problem, finally. I now have almost 6GB available in Vista and no white lines.

If this keeps working, it is clear that the problem had absolutly NOTHING to do with drivers, memory, Vista, hard drives, msconfig, or Windows patches. That is evident by the fact that it now works and all I changed since the last failure was the BIOS.

This machine is now running 4GB of Corsair plus 2GB of OCZ memory for a total of 6GB. With under 4GB of RAM, it worked fine in Vista 64 bit. With Windows XP x64, it worked fine with the 6GB. I memtested each memory configuration and all were stable so I knew it was not a memory issue. I did have to load Vista with only 2GB and then put in a Windows patch when I originally loaded Vista. Vista is loaded on a SATA hard drive, but not RAID.

I am running defaults on all the BIOS parameters except memory voltage and almost all Vista parameters. The settings were not part of the problem. The memory voltage had to be set up because this board does not have enough power to run all the memory. Before setting it higher, I could not get a stable memtest.

Before tonight, I had the most current of everything. All my hardware components had been checked several times, for hours. I spent a lot of hours on this. The Asus phone support people assured me that they had never heard of this problem and therefore it COULD NOT EXIST. More recently, I did talk to some higher level tech support people who did acknowledge the problem, but the level one people denied it existed.

This has been going on for months. Lets hope it is finally fixed. For those with other brands of board, I hope your manufacturer has seen fit to release their version of this fix. The Asus one did NOT say it was to fix this problem, hopefully your manufacturer will be more honest about it.

kk20

Jan 9, 2008
I got the same issue.
Here is some interesting symtoms in my config.

winxp x64 runs fine.
- only problem is can't play BLU-RAY. PowerDVD gives error 0122. (may be due to no HDCP on monitor.)
- PowerDVD plays regular DVD, 2 virtual PC 2007 instances using 7.3G ram all running at the same time for the whole movie no problem.

Vista Ultimate x64 boot ok.
- sometime with white lines on logon screen.
- after logon, do any graphic, even IE flash, system lost audio 1st, then the ati driver crash, blue screen, self reboot.
- not able to play regular DVD, ati driver crash.
- the msconfig trick works allows me to completely watch a BLU-RAY movie and machine keeps on for a day. no problem.

Here is my config:-
-GA-MA69GM-S2H rev 1.0
- F3a BIOS default optimized settings. No overclock.
- X2 5000+ 90nm
- Sapphire 2600XT DDR4
- 1 WD 500G SATA Vista x64 boot disk.
- 1 WD 100G PATA xp x64 boot disk.
- OCZ2P8004GK x 4 dimms = 8G.
- LG BLU-RAY / HDVD combo drive.

I can think of these possibilities :-
1) ATI driver + VISTA x64 + 8G ram = very unstable buggy driver and/or OS software.
or
2) May be the above configuration only works in PATA harddisk.

So, any insight to you ?

ebicculus

Oct 20, 2009
vista ultimate x64 working here with m2a-vm and 8gb ram.. msconfig hack

---

Pointless bump of almost two year old thread.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator