AMD 6700XT reviews thread

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

A bit slower than the 2080TI/3070 on average, but expect horrific pricing and availability.

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
30% faster than 5700XT for 20% more money.Its not faster than 3070.Again AMD PR BS marketing slides shows how we cant trust them(same with NV).I said it few weeks back and AMD fans downvotes me here lol.Still no DLSS competitor and very bad RT performance.
It should be 400USD max and thats because 12Gb Vram.So same price and 5% faster than 3060TI in rasterization and without DLSS/Nvec,RT performance.Maybe 380USD if amd wanted to be competitive.But for 480USD?No thanks.

AMD just cant price match nvidia while not having competitive features like DLSS/Nvec/RT performance.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why set the MSRP at $400 when it's going to get jacked up well beyond that. Look at the 3060, where almost no cards have the $330 MSRP and instead the AIBs jack the price up to be able to cash in.

AMD could have set the MSRP at $300 for this, but it wouldn't change anything. No one would be able to buy at that price and AMD would (rightly) be accused of making up numbers just to look good.

The only real way to compare cards is based on what they actually cost on the market and right now there are no good values.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Why set the MSRP at $400 when it's going to get jacked up well beyond that. Look at the 3060, where almost no cards have the $330 MSRP and instead the AIBs jack the price up to be able to cash in.

AMD could have set the MSRP at $300 for this, but it wouldn't change anything. No one would be able to buy at that price and AMD would (rightly) be accused of making up numbers just to look good.

The only real way to compare cards is based on what they actually cost on the market and right now there are no good values.

- Agreed. Realistically this card should have been more like $450 or $429, but then someone else would be making the extra change on the card, not AMD. There is a real feature deficit for AMD cards right now, not to undermine their raw performance, but it does ding into the price AMD should realistically be asking for the card. But if everything is going to sell at $479 or $500 or $800 anyway, might as well move the price up to about as high as it can get without completely turning the customer base off.

The 6700XT slots in almost perfectly downstream from the 6800 (so much for outright replacing the 6800) and is less than 5% behind the 3070 according to TPU's testing (its closer to the 3070 than it is the 3060ti). More RAM as well.

Its really a remarkably good release for what is essentially a 5700XT with a total makeover, and really shows how much more performance they were able to get out of the same 40CUs from the new arch than the old.

Hard to believe that the GPU landscape would be as competitive as it is now just a couple years ago when AMD was laying eggs like the VEGA 2...

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Performs okay. Good bump over the 5700XT. Pricing on all GPUs is really dumb at the moment so it is what it is. If you find anything at MSRP you are doing well.

2.5Ghz sustained clocks and power draw is similar to the 6800 so they have pushed the clocks for performance. Fine by me as it is not a huge power guzzler.

It somewhat tanks at 4k vs the 6800 so you see the impact less IC has on performance. If MSRPs were close to retail pricing then this should be a $420 card at most but since everything is nuts the MSRP is kind of irrelevant.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
Navi 22 has similar amount of transistors to GA104, slightly worse rasterization perf (esp as RTX3070 is not fully enabled GA104, falls off more in 4k as well), significantly worse RT performance, and similar powerdraw on a better process.

Part of me wonders if the Infinity fabric was really the most efficient way to go. ~335mm^2 @7nm for a 40CU GPU is dang large, given that the 40CU RDNA2 APU in the PS5 is ~300mm^2 while the 56CU RDNA2 APU in the XSX is 360mm^2 with less total transistors than in Navi 22, both having no IF and opted for wider memory buses instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: KompuKare

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

AMD might as well just set the MSRP to $700.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
AMD might as well just set the MSRP to $700.

Probably, but they'd also need to hike the MSRP of the 6800 and 6800 XT which would theoretically cost less than a GPU with 25%+ fewer resources across the board. That'd just be a PR nightmare.

Based on the reviews, $480 is about what you'd price this if you wanted it to fall almost perfectly in line with other GPUs on the value curve. Normally we'd expect far better value per dollar at the mid-range and below, but there's absolutely no reason to provide that value right now when there's practically nothing on the market. $480 also probably keeps the AIB cards at least a little bit closer to MSRP, because the 3060 MSRP looks ridiculous by comparison when there's no reference model at that price and the vast majority of AIB cards are closer to $500.

Here's the list of 3060 cards available on Newegg:

CardPrice
ASUS Dual
$330​
ASUS Dual OC Edition
$479​
ASUS ROG Strix
$550​
ASUS TUF Gaming
$520​
EVGA XC
$390​
GIGABYTE EAGLE
$330​
GIGABYTE EAGLE OC
$460​
GIGABYTE GAMING OC
$480​
GIGABYTE Vision OC
$500​
MSI Gaming X
$510​
MSI Ventus 2X
$330​
MSI Ventus 2X OC
$480​
MSI Ventus 3X OC
$500​
ZOTAC Twin Edge
$400​
ZOTAC Twin Edge OC
$520​

The funniest thing when looking at them in a table like this is that every single manufacturer that has a card that sells at the official MSRP also has an "OC" version of that card which retails for an extra $100 or more. Even with those $330 cards, the average is still $450, but considering there's an OC version of those cards that doesn't appear to use any different parts, I'll give you two guesses as to how many of those $330 cards are being made.

Take out the $330 cards and the average price jumps another $30 which means that AIB cards are almost a 50% premium over MSRP on average. I looked through the TPU reviews since they have a lot of AIB cards, and while not all of them included pricing details, here's what I was able to find:

CardPrice
AMD Reference
$480​
ASUS STRIX OC
?​
MSI Gaming X
?​
PowerColor Red Devil
?​
Sapphire Nitro +
$580​
XFX Merc 319
$570​

The $100 AIB premium is still higher than usual, but it's not quite as outrageous as the markup seen with the 3060. From what I've read of the reviews, the AIB cards do run cooler, quieter, and with better clocks than the reference model, so it isn't as though they aren't providing any additional value. I also suspect that the inclusion of a reference model may limit what the AIBs can get away with, but who knows how long AMD will want to keep producing and selling those.

Of course it hardly matters what the AIB cards have set as an MSRP because I don't expect to see any of these going for less than the $700 you've suggested as a possible MSRP. A quick glance at eBay shows that the 3060 cards which were so egregiously priced by AIBs are being listed for and selling above that price. I think that even $800 may be too optimistic considering this card is generally better than a 3060 Ti and those are going for over $1000 right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
It spends all the reviews being compared to a card in a completely different (theoretical) price bracket - the 3060Ti is a $400 card vs this the 6700XT at $480 - and looses to that card because rasterization is close but ray tracing is not and if you include DLSS then the 3060Ti is getting multiples of the performance. So it's a complete lemon. Not that it matters because you will never be able to buy one so in the end who cares.

Last edited:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Navi 22 has similar amount of transistors to GA104, slightly worse rasterization perf (esp as RTX3070 is not fully enabled GA104, falls off more in 4k as well), significantly worse RT performance, and similar powerdraw on a better process.

Part of me wonders if the Infinity fabric was really the most efficient way to go. ~335mm^2 @7nm for a 40CU GPU is dang large, given that the 40CU RDNA2 APU in the PS5 is ~300mm^2 while the 56CU RDNA2 APU in the XSX is 360mm^2 with less total transistors than in Navi 22, both having no IF and opted for wider memory buses instead.
An interesting case in how much power you can waste trying to clock high enough to avoid the $400 price point.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Makes me wonder if IC is integral to future chiplet designs. Yes, might not work great as a substantial subsection of a monolithic die, but if you have an IC/IO die that helps multiple smaller chiplets communicate and maintain coherency then I can see why they want to "flush out" the tech on the current gen.

Edit: On the other hand, you have AMD's 519mm2 die putting up a very solid fight against NV's 628mm2 die with 2 billion fewer transistors, so *shrug*

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Apparently it's going to be priced at (starting from) 719 € here In Finland. Yeah... At this point Im' just happy that I decided yo buy RTX 3060 Ti at 559,90 € when I had the chance. Back then I thought that there were at least 100 € extra in the price but now in the same shop it costs 839,90 € and no one known when the next batch arrives.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Seems like a bit of a dud, and more importantly, what happened with the DLSS competitor? No mentions? It's coming when "it's ready"?
That's the most dissapointing news of them all (being a RX 6800 owner), It's not coming before Q4. They hope to deliver it in 2021 and it will probably not be using ML:

Feb 4, 2009
Sigh, another boring AMD card release with the added benefit of likely being over priced and unavailable.
To clarify what I mean is AMD cards typically work fine but not great and they are priced fine but not great.
I have owned many ATI/AMD cards for this reason and I am typically not that excited by them because they are boring but work. Only AMD/ATI card I was excited to own was the old school 9500PRO (8x AGP style)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Based on the reviews, $480 is about what you'd price this if you wanted it to fall almost perfectly in line with other GPUs on the value curve. Normally we'd expect far better value per dollar at the mid-range and below

I wouldn't. Not after the midrange was $400+ last gen with the 5700XT.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't. Not after the midrange was $400+ last gen with the 5700XT.

That's part of what I'm talking about. It's priced about $80 more than the performance of a 5700XT and about $100 less than the performance of a 6800. Historically we'd see the value per dollar improve each year or with subsequent generations, but expecting it during a mining boom is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Realistically the market price for a mid-range card starts around $800 right now. That's why comments about the MSRP are rather meaningless. Even managing to get an AIB card at $100 over MSRP is a deal compared to the market price of these cards. If you think there's any chance in getting good value for your dollar right now, you're being horribly unrealistic unless you're flipping cards you manage to buy at MSRP. Then you're getting some amazing value per dollar.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Oh wow, I am so totally shocked, it's between a 3060Ti and a 3070.

Who could have EVER seen this coming?

Seriously speaking, this is a pretty relatively boring launch. It's not like MSRP will actually matter either.

If all three were available for MSRP, the 3060Ti would be the winner. It's very close the the 6700XT performance on raster, beats it on RT, has DLSS, and has significantly lower MSRP.

But in GPU mining plague world, every GPU will sell out instantly, so there is no point even trying to be competitive.