Question AMD 5600G or INTEL 12the gen DDR4

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
Building the neighbors a new desktop. Decided to go just with last gen since no really major discounts on previous gen.
I can build a very similar machine in price using either 5600G/12100(cheapest-DDR4)/12400.

Is 12 gen stable enough at this point?
Or do people think i should go for a 5600G?

System is being used as a office/browser machine with maybe slight editing of pictures.
Both have their benefits of connectivity/GPU performance etc etc but the performance does not really matter , stability of the platform is more important.

Regards Ward.

Added list of current selection

AMD
5600G
16gb 2*8 3200DDR4 corsair ,(i could go less but already so cheap)
Gigabyte B550M- DS3H
SN WD 570 1TB

Intel
12100 (maybe 12400 , but i think it is overkill)
16gb 2*8 3200DDR4 corsair ,(i could go less but already so cheap)
Gigabyte B660M- DS3H DDR4
SN WD 570 1TB

update : Final pick 5600G , A520 gigabyte S2H , 16gb(2*8) 3200 gskill , 400watt be quiet true power 11, CI-02B-OP chieftec , 512GB sn 570 WD , TP-Link Archer TX3000E

Went in the end for a 5600G build reasons:
-A520 board was only like 50-60euro vs the 100+euro H610 ones at the time of ordering , and then the H610 motherboard did barely offer more value in connectivity.
-The software stack on AMD side is surprisingly more intuitive than Intel. , very personal opinion ! AMD chipset drivers - well amd chipset drivers with lot of the board manufactures just using the ones directly from AMD , Intel felt like a mess of INTEL mangement firmware , Intel HID even filters etc

PS I avoided Asus in the end in all forms because they just repack drivers and threw their own version number on it, which just irritates me xD.

PSS : used a chieftec case which was like just 60 euro (no fan) but was very easy to build in. CI-02B-OP if anyone interested in a simple micro atx case.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If it is just basic usage, either the 5600G or 12400 should be fine. I think both should be pretty stable by now, though it may depend on the motherboard used and firmware for such. I would go with whatever is cheaper overall, just make sure you put in a decent SSD.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
If it is just basic usage, either the 5600G or 12400 should be fine. I think both should be pretty stable by now, though it may depend on the motherboard used and firmware for such. I would go with whatever is cheaper overall, just make sure you put in a decent SSD.
Thx atm selected parts list is wd blue SN570 1TB and motherboard Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 for Intel and Gigabyte B550M DS3H for if i go AMD.

i added the core parts

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Ask JayzTwoCents, he did a video on it. I've had BSODs on new 12th-Gen kit (not overclocked).
Then he's doing it wrong. I've had 0 since building back at launch. And picked up an ADL laptop in March with the same results.

1655824200440.pngReally? That's a bit passive aggressive.

Last edited:

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
No need to turn this into a fight , I have been a first generation adopter of technologies before and that could be annoying , but I can deal with it. The reason why I am asking for stability , they are retired(old) , don't know that much of computers. If possible , i would like to avoid 3/4 times a year needed bios/firmware updates for some stuff not working properly. So any experience are welcome!

So @VirtualLarry has that experience been resolved by now?

And thx all for reporting either your own experience or references.

PS this also like one of these builds that will last +7 years if it goes well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Both of mine are DDR4 because DDR5 is a joke and doesn't offer any performance benefit over DDR4 at almost 150% of the price of DDR4.
So, you were being presumptuous, that Jay was "doing it wrong", when he was using the memory that was intended for the platform, and having errors uncharacteristic of traditional Intel platforms.

See, this is why you get down-voted, because your responses and comments are a joke.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
So, you were being presumptuous, that Jay was "doing it wrong", when he was using the memory that was intended for the platform, and having errors uncharacteristic of traditional Intel platforms.

See, this is why you get down-voted, because your responses and comments are a joke.
Intended for the platform? Presuming that DDR5 is the only option that's unproven up until this release just shows your bias.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Intended for the platform? Presuming that DDR5 is the only option that's unproven up until this release just shows your bias.
Yes, it IS "intended for the platform". Did you not read about Intel's disappointment with OEMs that they were disappointed that OEMs were using DDR4 (with 12th-gen), and thus decreed to mobo makers that 13th-Gen would not support DDR4.

It's certainly not "my bias".

Edit: Read this. Evidently, I'm not crazy.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And now you're going on a down-voting spree, down-voting any of my posts that you can find?

Good Lord, what are you, 12?

I gave you what I felt was a legitimate down-vote, in my thread that I was asking how to get greater license compliance, when building a Windows PC... and you told me to download a TORRENT! Really??? You want me to include free viruses in PCs I build?. It's like you don't even think.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@VirtualLarry

Did you take into account that releasing a new platform in which the RAM wasn't in stock for releasing the CPU. If you don't have RAM what good is a CPU? If you can't build a complete system with the new HW you're not getting any benefit from parts sitting in the box being unused.

Initially it looked more like scalping was the issue but, the supply chain for new tech being DDR5 wasn't in place prior to releasing the new CPU. The option for DDR4 was discussed as a solution to the lack of RAM being produced to support the demand for the new platform and the tech specs between DRR5 / DDR4 are the same when it comes down to performance.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did you take into account that releasing a new platform in which the RAM wasn't in stock for releasing the CPU. If you don't have RAM what good is a CPU? If you can't build a complete system with the new HW you're not getting any benefit from parts sitting in the box being unused.

Initially it looked more like scalping was the issue but, the supply chain for new tech being DDR5 wasn't in place prior to releasing the new CPU. The option for DDR4 was discussed as a solution to the lack of RAM being produced to support the demand for the new platform and the tech specs between DRR5 / DDR4 are the same when it comes down to performance.
Sure, DDR5 availability, initially, wasn't great, and there certainly was scalping going on.

I don't know if you remember when 6th-gen came out (Skylake), which was Intel's mainstream platform's introduction to DDR4. Sure, Skylake supported DDR3 (Edit: as well as DDR4), and there were a few DDR3 mobos for it, but most were DDR4.

There were certainly some teething pains too. But it seems that the DDR5 transition is fraught with quite a bit more peril as far as stability and compatibility than DDR4.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
and the tech specs between DRR5 / DDR4 are the same when it comes down to performance.
This, technically, is NOT true. I've seen benchmarks from reputable YT'ers that review things, and framerates ARE higher, with faster DDR5 versus DDR4. Not by what I would personally consider huge margins, but there ARE some differences.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
DDR5 transition is fraught with quite a bit more peril as far as stability

Hence DDR5 is a joke. If builders weren't keeping an eye on the stats and problems before pulling the trigger on DDR5 systems and just jumped in head first then that's part of the equation they chose to deal with. Reasonable people would expect a transition from DDR4 > DDR5 to be smooth other than the tech changes made and moving the slit on the chip over a few pins to prevent placing it into the wrong board in error. Well, turns out the issue of the changes such as making a single stick a dual vs DDR4 being a single and changing the bus width posed an issue with how things are handled.

reputable YT'ers that review things
If that's the source then there's the issue. Going off sources that are PAID to review things vs the common user reporting things on different sites regarding their experience / performance is more valid than some idiot posting on YT.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
No need to turn this into a fight , I have been a first generation adopter of technologies before and that could be annoying , but I can deal with it. The reason why I am asking for stability , they are retired(old) , don't know that much of computers. If possible , i would like to avoid 3/4 times a year needed bios/firmware updates for some stuff not working properly. So any experience are welcome!

So @VirtualLarry has that experience been resolved by now?

And thx all for reporting either your own experience or references.

PS this also like one of these builds that will last +7 years if it goes well.
IME BIOS updates at this point on my particular MOBO have not been needed just an option. Adding the new revisions hasn't done anything noticeable in the performance of the system. Some other MOBO's like Asus / GB have had some serious issues such as burning up because reverse polarity caps being placed on Asus requiring RMA's / recalls. GB had some other issues that seem to have been straightened out with BIOS updates.

When you knock out 2 of 4 major suppliers that limits your options but, neither of them really provide major benefits over each other. If you want to pack the most punch for new tech though there's an option that gives you DDR5 / PCIE5 and M2 @ gen5 on the board vs waiting for the adapter cards. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z690 PG Velocita/#Specification

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The CPU die supports it, but my information is that Intel sent a strongly-worded letter to mobo makers requesting that they only produce DDR5 mobos for 13th-gen.
If Intel believes in the tech they're producing to be stable on one platform of DDR5 they simply disable the ability in the chip to use DDR4 like they did with other features in other platforms. They either do it in FW updates or physically within the chip itself.

I expect this probably to be the case when Arrow Lake rolls around in 2024. Running dual RAM profiles though doesn't hurt anything while RAM OEM's figure out how to produce the sticks that actually work and offer a benefit without the 50% markup.

Swapping out a MOBO / RAM to upgrade to working new specs isn't a big deal. It's just a bit of a PITA to do post build. Simeone will gladly buy a working MOBO / RAM at a slight discount compared to retail prices.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Running dual RAM profiles though doesn't hurt anything while RAM OEM's figure out how to produce the sticks that actually work and offer a benefit without the 50% markup.
But you see, that's precisely why Intel in mandating DDR5-only boards for 13th-gen, because they want to stimulate demand in the market, and drive down the cost of DDR5 through volume.