Jordan81

Jan 26, 2011
AMD 5600G
Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC (Bios F13)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16G (x2) 8Gb
WD Black SN750 1Tb
Corsair CX-550F 80+ Bronze PSU
Fractal Meshify C Mini (black)

TLDR: New build, all new parts. According to customer: System runs fine (playing Civ6 on DX11) for 30 - 45 minutes than hard locks. Screen flickers off to "No Signal" but system stays on and running, RGB and fans spinning. CtrlAltDelete and pressing and holding the power button do nothing. Customer states that he has to turn the power off at the PSU and restart. When he does this, it boots back up just fine, but the date and time are off. Right off the bat, I'm thinking easy, this is a temperature issue + new motherboard battery. I brought the system home and hit it with an OCCT stress test and......nothing. TCT/TDIE max 76 degrees, average core temps never went above 66 -70 degrees across all cores. From what I understand, this isn't great, but not lethal. Everything looks like it's running just fine.......next step? Also, I noticed that the LED light on the power button is not working. Thanks for any help!

Build Story: Dad finally got sick of his pre-built running like a sick mule and green lit me to build a new system. Parts came within several days (Newegg!) and everything went together just fine, with the exception that my 2 year old kept trying to eat my motherboard standoffs. Power button pushed and we're off. Memory was only recognized @ 2133Mhz, after enabling XMP it would only go to 2400Mhz and on first boot it did not recognize the graphics output was. Upgraded the Bios (F13), everything looks good, XMP enabled and memory shows running @ 3600Mhz. Downloaded Radeon Software to make sure all my drivers are good. I then downloaded OCCT and ran mixed load for a few hours and that was that. Downloaded my dad's steam account, purchased Civ6 for him (he still likes 3, but it's worth a shot) and I thought we were done. He starts having hard lock ups as mentioned above, and I just finished my 2nd stress test on this thing and I'm getting no errors. I'm going to change out the motherboard battery and put a voltmeter on the F panel to see why the power button LED isn't working. But other than that, I'm scratching my head where to go next? Stress test SSD?

The computer is currently running in a wide open room which is at 71 degrees. My folks house is typically warmer (AC costs money ya'll), and the system sits on a desk with overhead cabinets, but there is decent air flow and I told him to make sure it doesn't get pushed back against the wall. The other thing I pointed out to them is that they need to stop plugging so much into one outlet, and I rectified several issues I saw while I was there. So I guess common sense says that if it works one place but not the other, work on it where it isn't working. I just want to have as much worked out as I can before I take it back to the homestead. So I'm shutting down to replace mobo battery and investigate F panel. I plan to run a heavy stress test on OCCT for a few hours while I sleep. Any help is appreciated!

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
There's a new bios out, F14, for this MB. Might try flashing it to that. Just finished a similar build but with an Asrock MB. I went with a 650W PSU, but the your 550W PSU should be sufficient.
Obvious questions, did you hook up the 8 pin ATX 12V cable from the PSU to the MB? Installed the memory in the A2 and B2 slots? Assuming that you downloaded and installed Radeon Software Adrenaline 2020 Edition 21.3.2 for Ryzen 5000 Series? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-ryzen-5000

Check Device Manager for any problems.

Try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt. You may have some corrupt Windows files.

The power button LED not on should not cause the problems he is having. You may just have the cable from the case to the MB on backwards.

You did not post what CPU cooler you are using. If it's the AMD stealth wraith cooler that came with the CPU upgrade it to a better cooler.
I then downloaded OCCT and ran mixed load for a few hours and that was that.
What exactly do you mean by mixed load? OCCT's CPU test? What was the Data Set, Mode, and Load Type? Did you purchase OCCT, because the free version will only allow you to run each test for 1 hour?
You should also run its Memory test, but 1 hour testing may not be enough.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@MadScientist offered good advice. The latest bios is only a couple of weeks old, and specifies improved memory compatibility, that might do the trick. If it is still unstable, you can manually set the ram speed, and give it a bit more voltage, instead of XMP. It is technically overclocked after all. No joy? Reduce ram speed to 3466.

I haven't had any trouble with my 5600G and a cheap OlOy Warhawk 3600 kit. No issues with the Vega iGPU gaming or doing vid playback either.

And yeah, double check the Power LED front panel connector is correct.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I suspect some kind of memory issue. A BIOS update may fix this, as suggested. Also you could try running memtest86 to check for errors.

Jordan81

Jan 26, 2011
Correctly spoken MadScientist, it is extremely bad form to ask for help and then not close the loop. My sincerest apologies for not updating sooner gentlemen. Here's the rest of the story:

The CPU stress test on OCCT was yielding no temps over 75 degrees originally, but then I ran a LinPack, Phyisical and virtual, 2019, 4096mb test. My temps went to 85 on the tct/tdie and the computer the it would throttle 80 percent usage until temps went to 80C then go back to 100% until it hit 85C and it continued this throttling for the entire test. When I removed the heat sink, everything looked okay, there was even coverage, nothing that seemed wrong. I believe I installed it correctly, there was no play or loose screws when I checked it. I realize this may have been unnecessary as it appears that AMD says high temps for the Ryzen 5000 series chips is normal, but I did not like the thought of the processor going over the 80C mark, especially since I know that it's going to operating in a warmer environment.

So I did several things:
Took MadScientist's advice: A friend had just installed an AIO cooler and had his AMD Wraith Prism cooler and let me have it. I installed that with some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I achieved much more desirable results. Computer idled around 30C and when placed under LinPack 2019, Physical and Virtual, 12threads, 4096, temps stayed in the 65 - 70C range across all cores and tct/tdie. I'm was much happier with that thermal performance. I set the cooler in the H position to get access to the higher RPM fan curve.

I replaced the mobo battery, was reading 2.8v, new battery reads 3.025V. Reseated memory dimms.

And that's it. I ran several stress tests on everything, using OCCT, was never able to get the machine to crash. I sent the computer back and it's been trouble free for over a month now.

Oh, and the Power Button light issue was resolved as well. On the Meshify C Mini, the "Power LED" is a small blue LED strip that shines out the top right front of the case, not an LED light in the power button itself. It's kind of faint, but that problem was literally staring me in the face......

So I'm not sure what the issue was, I'm leaning more towards a thermal problem. Thank you for your help, and again, I sincerely apologize for not following up sooner. As a father of 6 with number 7 touching down in November, it is hard for me to find time to myself. However it only takes minutes to do a post and this is long overdue.

Thanks again gentlemen!
-Jordan

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Yowza, 6 kids and number 7 on the way. Understandable about the delay getting back to us. My nephew has 6 kids, we visit him a few times a year. His life is chaotic, especially at supper time.
I also have a 5600G on an Asrock B550M Pro 4 MB. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/upgrading-older-htpc-to-4k-etc.2590214/post-40587207 I ditched the AMD cooler and replaced it with a low profile Scythe Big Shuriken 3 cooler.
I ran OCCT Linpack, same conditions as you ran it, and my temps were close to yours 65C-68C.
One other thing you may want to do, when you can get some time, is to update the bios to F14 so it's Windows 11 ready. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-AC-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Reactions: AnitaPeterson