Question Amd 3700x , much cooler with Max processor state at 95%

RockNRule

Sep 21, 2009
running a 3700x at stock , and the AMD balanced plan

summer heat got me tweaking to get the temps lower, and Im surprised that lowering the Max processor state to 95% , results in a sold 20 degrees cooler avg temp under normal use, with no real (detectable) loss of performance. didnt benchmark, but talking about browsing and even gaming

avg high 60's to low 50's C.

that constant boosting when set to 100% really causes a lot more heat.

consider doing this if your temps run high

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Matisse (1st gen) runs pretty far beyond the optimal part of its voltage/clockspeed curve by default. Slowing it down just a little bit will help you dial back temps, especially when you consider that those are hotspot temps.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Matisse (1st gen) runs pretty far beyond the optimal part of its voltage/clockspeed curve by default. Slowing it down just a little bit will help you dial back temps, especially when you consider that those are hotspot temps.
Matisse is not first generation, FYI, it is Zen 2 and Ryzen 3000.

Reactions: A///

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Great thread. I would have never of thought to do this. It was kinda like one of those "ahhh haaaaa" moments.

I assumed he meant in windows power options. there is an option to set maximum processor state by percentage in there. I used to set my old laptop to 80% to keep the fans from spinning up so frequently. worked like a charm.
I just tried this on my aging Elitebook 8460p and it works great. The fan noise is a lot more even now and not as loud.