AMD 2990WX 32 core 64 thread Builders thread Pics starting build !

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Spectacular build Mark! A real pleasure to follow.

Something I have come to love having around for computer work, especially with more fiddly OC attempts, is a laser thermometer. Very handy in getting quick temps just at anything you can put eyeballs on.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Mark, be careful when running a warm loop like that. I don't know what tubing you chose, but the first iteration of my main PC used taigon tubing that softened under load and eventually popped off. It only flooded the bottom of the case so I was EXTREMELY lucky.

That incident is the reason I rebuilt with hard tubing. I eventually moved on to Alphacool tubing due to how big of a pain hard tubing is to maintain.

Also, your load numbers seem off. How are you measuring power draw?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Personally, I would back off the overclock a bit until you add radiator capacity. Have you ordered another radiator to add to the loop?

Reactions: ub4ty

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
StefanR5R, I used 9 XSPC 140mm radiator fans for my MO-RA3-420 Pro. I matched the top 3 fans in a 3 to 1 cable joiner and did the same the the second and third row of fans. I then connected via a 3foot cable the cable to a fan controller powerful enough to run 3 fans per channel. Works well.

Here's a picture of the rad
21d5l0.jpg

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The tubing is
XSPC HighFlex Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 2 Meters Length, Red/UV Orange
And its not as hot, now that the air is out. 67c@100%load. I worry now more about the backplate being so hot. No heatsinks for that. I don't know if its the power going to the socket or what.

Power draw is kill-a-watt.

Reactions: Drazick and ub4ty

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011
StefanR5R, I used 9 XSPC 140mm radiator fans for my MO-RA3-420 Pro. I matched the top 3 fans in a 3 to 1 cable joiner and did the same the the second and third row of fans. I then connected via a 3foot cable the cable to a fan controller powerful enough to run 3 fans per channel. Works well.

Here's a picture of the rad
21d5l0.jpg
!!!!!!

What's next, a car radiator? You'll need prestone guys!

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
The tubing is
And its not as hot, now that the air is out. 67c@100%load. I worry now more about the backplate being so hot. No heatsinks for that. I don't know if its the power going to the socket or what.

I have a 120mm fan blowing on my backplate from inside my case to the back and outside. My split container case allows for me to throw one back there where all the drives and PSU are. It's perpendicular such that it blows are across it and out of the case. It noticed that it does indeed get quite toasty. Not sure if it improves things much but I liked the idea. Also, my cutout is pretty big behind the mobo so it also draws heat off the underside of the board that gets toasty from the VRMs.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Kensiko30, that is funny. No doubt the MO-RA3-420 is a big external rad but when you have a big thermal issue it sure helps. P.S. No Prestone, just straight distilled water:):cool::D

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Mark, be careful when running a warm loop like that. I don't know what tubing you chose, but the first iteration of my main PC used taigon tubing that softened under load and eventually popped off. It only flooded the bottom of the case so I was EXTREMELY lucky.

This is why I like long barbs and clamps. No chance of them popping off. Also with pumps like the RD30 that can develop serious pressure, it's really a requirement. Or else!

Kensiko30, that is funny. No doubt the MO-RA3-420 is a big external rad but when you have a big thermal issue it sure helps. P.S. No Prestone, just straight distilled water:):cool::D

Now imagine four of them in parallel flow configuration! :)

And roger on pure distilled. We have a RO-DI plant that's used for make up water for various things that need ultra pure water. We use its water to fill our systems and it works great. 2 "kill coils" in each reservoir and never any issues. All that other crap that folks add to coolant just gunks it up. If you want color, just add that via tubing although I prefer to keep it dark aka "murdered out".

I haven't checked the socket backplate for heat but will now that Mark mentioned his is blistering hot. Never experienced that before. The socket should be able to handle the extra amperage but who knows? If it's that hot it may make sense to attach some heatsinks like the ones we used on BGA memory chips back in the day. Like these here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108071

Space permitting, of course.

Reactions: IEC

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The tubing is

You are running Linux on this machine, correct?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Ok, thanks. Once you get to Linux, if you're willing, I'd like to see a couple benches.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Its going to be dual-boot, so go ahead and ask now. That way when I am ready, I can just reply.

Mostly curious to see how it does in compile times, handbrake, and maybe blender to compare to your Windows results.. Have you ever used the Phoronix test suite in Linux?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Mostly curious to see how it does in compile times, handbrake, and maybe blender to compare to your Windows results.. Have you ever used the Phoronix test suite in Linux?
Nope. I would need links to them.

Reactions: Drazick