AMD 2990WX 32 core 64 thread Builders thread Pics starting build !

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I flashed with my 2990WX, I guess that good. But do you know how to turn off the 250 watt limit ? Is it a bios thing ? I hate this MSI BIOS.

Mark, let me know if you figure that out. My X399 Carbon had the same issue, 250 watts and then *throttle* to 550 MHz. Surprised they didn't fix it with the MEG creation board. You can disable PROCHOT in Ryzen master but then stuff goes crazy. The carbon had it's perks though. I bet it's one of the only previous gen boards that can overclock the 2990WX to 4 GHz. You just need to keep the VRMs cool.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Mark, let me know if you figure that out. My X399 Carbon had the same issue, 250 watts and then *throttle* to 550 MHz. Surprised they didn't fix it with the MEG creation board. You can disable PROCHOT in Ryzen master but then stuff goes crazy. The carbon had it's perks though. I bet it's one of the only previous gen boards that can overclock the 2990WX to 4 GHz. You just need to keep the VRMs cool.
Right now I used Ryzen master to OC to a nice 3550. No vcore increase, and temps with an air cooler (Noctura 14) under 60 ! I get all cores, and it only draws 315 out of the wall ! With the 1080TI at idle. So that OC disables the 250. Water cooling will be going in next Wed I think, I have all the parts now, but the fittings don't work well. So when thats done, its time for 4-4.1 ghz.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, so its up and running at 1.3 vcore and 4 ghz on custom water. But the video card is all over the place on utilization for seti. Anyway, its only drawing 450 watts from the wall, and not sure how much of that is CPU. But without a 20 inch box fan blowing on the 3 120 mm rad fans, it goes way over 85c. With that on, it spikes at 82, but gets as low at 65.

So what is wrong ? or is this normal ?

And the pump is at 2. t goes to 5. Should I put it higher ? Is that the problem ? With a 360x60 mm rad ?

Pic (ugly setup) The 230 mm fan is blowing down on the CPU to give the VRM's cooling.
gx8ZdDl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cerb and Drazick

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Markfw, 2 observations.

First, run the pump at 5 setting at least 24 hours to get all the little air bubbles out of your loop. I can see a lot of little air bubbles in the top of your cpu block so those have to work their way out into your reservoir. Keep the pump speed at 5 until all of the air bubbles are gone.

Second, running 32 cores/64 threads at 4 Ghz is putting a lot of heat into the loop. That 360mm rad, even at 60 mm thick might not be able to keep up with the heat.

I suspect the loop needs to normalize. Did you get all of the air pockets out of the rad and tubing when filling the loop?

What sort of radiator fans are you using? Hopefully you have them set to take in cool air through the radiator.

I have 3 480mm XSPC RX480 rads for my 5960x at 4.4 plus GTX1080ti gpu. Admittedly overkill but I would have used at least a 480 rad for the 2990wx.

What case are you using?

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Markfw, gave some more thought to your custom setup.

First, if you are going to house this in the Fractal R6 case here's what I would do for cpu cooling alone for a 2990wx at 4Ghz. I would mount the 360mm radiator at the top with the fans first drawing cool air in through the radiator and having that air expel onto the MSI VRMS. This would help with cooling the VRMs and bring the coolest air into the rad. Second, I would add a 240 or even 360 rad to the front with fans also drawing air into the rad from outside and blowing into the case. Finally I would put a stout 140mm exhaust fan in the rear. In addition if needbe you could add an extra 120/140mm fan blowing across the VRMS focused to the rear exhaust. This would give you sufficient radiator capacity even when the 2990wx is running full bore at 4 Ghz.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sounds like you might have too much air trapped in the loop. You should be able to get it out with some laying the rig on the side and some tilting at different angle, etc.

How about some more photos showing the full loop setup as it's hard to envision what one can't see.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
OK, so its up and running at 1.3 vcore and 4 ghz on custom water ... its only drawing 450 watts from the wall, ... without a 20 inch box fan blowing on the 3 120 mm rad fans, it goes way over 85c. With that on, it spikes at 82, but gets as low at 65.

That does not sound right to me. What were you running to see 450 watts from the wall? That's not an idle reading, right? Is the graphics card doing something, or is it idling? Is the card on a water block as well, is it a blower, or is it expelling hot air into the case?

In theory a radiator has a certain cooling capacity which should keep the water at a certain delta over the ambient (inlet) air temps. Maybe your inlet air temp is high? That can certainly happen if you're expelling hot case air, rather than drawing in cooler air. What RPMs are your fans running at, and are you getting decent static pressure from them?
The CPU should similarly be at a delta over the water based on the thermal conductivity between the cpu and your block.You didn't leave the plastic on, did you? :> Get a temp reading on the water so you can figure out exactly what's going on in your loop. I do agree that it sounds like you've got trapped air. I would not otherwise expect to see much in the way of spikes, but I haven't debugged a water loop before, so my expectations are theoretical rather than practical.

BTW, what did you wind up getting your memory running at? (I'm wondering whether the 3500CL15s are worth the price over the CL16s.)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That does not sound right to me. What were you running to see 450 watts from the wall? That's not an idle reading, right? Is the graphics card doing something, or is it idling? Is the card on a water block as well, is it a blower, or is it expelling hot air into the case?

In theory a radiator has a certain cooling capacity which should keep the water at a certain delta over the ambient (inlet) air temps. Maybe your inlet air temp is high? That can certainly happen if you're expelling hot case air, rather than drawing in cooler air. What RPMs are your fans running at, and are you getting decent static pressure from them?
The CPU should similarly be at a delta over the water based on the thermal conductivity between the cpu and your block.You didn't leave the plastic on, did you? :> Get a temp reading on the water so you can figure out exactly what's going on in your loop. I do agree that it sounds like you've got trapped air. I would not otherwise expect to see much in the way of spikes, but I haven't debugged a water loop before, so my expectations are theoretical rather than practical.

BTW, what did you wind up getting your memory running at? (I'm wondering whether the 3500CL15s are worth the price over the CL16s.)
The 450 was at 1.04 vcore and 3500. The video card was not being stredded.

And the memory, so far, just 3000 it the best I can get out of it, could be this motherboard. I have a Taichi that I may swap in, after its all done.

Reactions: Drazick

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Mark if you touch the radiator or hoses do they feel warm to the touch?
If so, does the input hose feel cooler than the output hose (on the block). If so, crank up the pump to 5 (highest setting).

At 4GHz, you will need as much capacity as possible.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark if you touch the radiator or hoses do they feel warm to the touch?
If so, does the input hose feel cooler than the output hose (on the block). If so, crank up the pump to 5 (highest setting).

At 4GHz, you will need as much capacity as possible.
The input to the rad is REALLY hot. The output is cooler, but the best I can do (sustained) is somewhere between 3800 and 3850 I think. 3800 and 1.2 vcore hits 80c regularly. Pump is on max. Bottom line ? a lot bigger rad if I want more speed.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Hey Mark, my MO-RA3-420 isn't sounding so bad now.:D:)

Seriously, another 360mm radiator would really help a lot.

Reactions: john3850

Markfw

May 16, 2002

I have to agree. Based on temps, I am now down to 3775, and 70c. (1.15 vcore) @3800 it was over 80c

I just check the price on that rad. $230 shipped !! (newegg) but if I want to OC more, I think thats the key. Oh, also a pile of fans

Last edited:

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Here you go Mark!

This was for a SR2 system back in 2011. "Just" dual socket Xeon X5690 at 4.5GHz, chipset+VRM and dual GPU. They had 590GTX at first. Dual 1200W Antec HCP CPU. Dual everything. ;)

Your radiator should not feel hot. As a matter of fact, if all is well it shouldn't feel much warmer than the table it's sitting on. Definitely need more capacity.

Also if your coolant is that warm and your temps are 80C the block is doing a fine job and the mount (TIM junction to CPU) is fine so no need to change anything there.

I have one of these connected to just the 2990WX:

https://koolance.com/erm-2k3ucu-liquid-cooling-system-aluminum

It's advertised as being able to handle a 2000W load! BS! I'd say 600W or so. I guess it depends on how much fan noise you can tolerate. It's got a lot of fans and gets loud like 80dB when cranked all the way up. But kept on lowest level (nearly silent, it was modded with a resistor to drop the lowest fan level to <22dB) it will handle 4GHz fine rendering all night but the res and lines feel slightly warm. Not hot! The radiator inside about the size of 2 1/2 360s I'd estimate. The pump is a 24V D5 and can push pretty decent.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The back plate for the CPU almost burned me ! The CPU says 68c@1.15 vcore@3775 mhz, but that backplate is HOT ! So I put another fan on it.

It draws 463-484 watts from the wall with the 1080TI doing SETI@ about 50% load for the card and 99% for the CPU. I would say not bad for power and speed. But my next system will be a 2950X. I have had it with this 32 core monster and water cooling. I hope coolermaster has a decent AIO kit on retail by then (the one we have seen previewed)

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
You don't want AIO, I think the practical limit is TR 1950. Maybe a gen or two later. For higher core counts it's going to be custom.

How hot are the VRMs? Now for something that gets HOT! I will post some IR pics soon.

UNLESS you chose to forgo OC and run stock. The AMD cooler (tower cooler) can handle full load stock.

I returned those Enermax AIOs. Too many bad reviews with leaks. Leaks scare me. I've flooded my fair share of equipment. I run strictly DI water and nothing else so after drying and cleanup and the box survives. If it's something else with heaven knows what additives are in the coolant, the box is history.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't know how hot the VRM's are, but I have a 230 mm fan point right down on the CPU block that should give them ventilation. Here are the pictures of the ugly ducking at the moment:
The backside
9HZR4ws.jpg

The front:
jlDaAZi.jpg

Reactions: ZGR and Drazick

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Active airflow around those VRM sinks is definitely recommended. Under continuous load it makes the difference between 105C and power limited throttling and 85-90C and full bore runs. ;)

A block on the VRM section does amazing things for temps. Cuts them in half. That is, under the assumption the radiators are big enough!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Active airflow around those VRM sinks is definitely recommended. Under continuous load it makes the difference between 105C and power limited throttling and 85-90C and full bore runs. ;)

A block on the VRM section does amazing things for temps. Cuts them in half. That is, under the assumption the radiators are big enough!
Well, you know that MSI motherboard has HUGE heatsinks on the VRM's all 19 phases of them. So this 230 mm fan makes use of the heatsinks, and just puts air over them !

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah VRMs are heavy duty and need to be with 32 hungry cores!
I'm using a Zenith and manged to hit 4.1GHz. CPU temps fine but I dunno, it's like riding a bike with so-so tires at 180mph. It works but you just know one time it can/will blow. At least if the mobo blows up I won't be dead. ;)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah VRMs are heavy duty and need to be with 32 hungry cores!
I'm using a Zenith and manged to hit 4.1GHz. CPU temps fine but I dunno, it's like riding a bike with so-so tires at 180mph. It works but you just know one time it can/will blow. At least if the mobo blows up I won't be dead. ;)
Thats why I got the MSI, mine will be@100%load for the rest of its life.

Reactions: Cerb and Drazick

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
You will need a substantial increase in radiator area or drop clocks down to keep that 2990 happy over its lifetime at full load.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, made it all night@3775 GPU@50% and CPU@99% taking 492 out of the wall.a shade over 300 watts ? 125 GPU + 50 motherboard/memory/fans/pump or 317 left over ?

Oh, and 65c right now.Ambient 75f

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@Markfw,
I agree with @guskline that you should check whether all air has been migrated out of the block and the radiator into the reservoir.

For this, it may be sufficient to run the pump at full speed for a day or so. But maybe that's not enough, and alternating the pump between full speed and ~1/2 speed in intervals could do the trick, and/ or leaning the case at different angles. But the most important factors here are observation and patience, IMO.

Second, the air that got into the reservoir needs to stay in there. If the pump runs at high speed, air bubbles might get recirculated back into the loop instead of rising to the top of the reservoir. Most reservoirs have some sort of diaphragm between inlet and outlet to help prevent this. Some reservoirs come with an optional sponge-like thingy which can be inserted to slow down the bubbles.

Third, re pump speed: In a loop like yours which has just one water block and one radiator, I would expect that moderate pump speed should be fully sufficient in order to use the block and the radiator to their fill capacity. In loops with more waterblocks (and to a degree, loops with more radiators), higher pump speed & pump pressure are needed.

[In my dual GPU hosts with 3 waterblocks (CPU and GPUs) and 2 radiators, I run one D5 pump at about 65 or 75 % speed or so. In my triple GPU host with 4 waterblocks and 2 radiators (one of them a MO-RA3) and 2 quick disconnect fittings which are somewhat restrictive too, I run a D5 pump at 90 or 100 %. Perhaps even a dual pump setup would be justified for that latter host.]

However, it is easy to check whether or nod you need more pump speed: Keep the processor load + ventilation constant, try different pump speeds for ~10 minutes at a time, and observe CPU temperature. IME the effect of pump speed on CPU temperature (or in case of watercooled GPUs, the effect on GPU temperature) is quite immediate, if there is any effect at all in the first place.

I have to agree. Based on temps, I am now down to 3775, and 70c. (1.15 vcore) @3800 it was over 80c

I just check the price on that rad. $230 shipped !! (newegg) but if I want to OC more, I think thats the key. Oh, also a pile of fans
Mounting the 9 fans onto the MO-RA3-360, and getting them all to spin despite the bundle of cable splitters crammed into the radiator housing, took me a whole while. :oops:

Reactions: dnavas

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The air is gone. I think this CPU is just a monster overclocked. The metal plate on the back of the CPU socket is burning up, I put a fan on it.