AMD 2990WX 32 core 64 thread Builders thread Pics starting build !

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I got mine running at 3000 on the memory. But cinebench15 will not run at all, and I still can stop the throttling.

Anybody got any idea on that ? It wants to stay at 250 watt TDP. Thats great for some, but not why I got this.

Reactions: Drazick

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's strange. Did you try running CB completely stock? I did and get almost 5100!
All that is not stock, is 3600 memory running at 3000.

And again, how do I get it to ignore TDP/PPT ? Its stuck at 250 and throttling.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Stock is out of the box, and your memory regardless of SPD will be 2100.
Are you sure it's throttling?
How hot are the VRMs?
If the VRMs go over 100-105C temp they will invoke throttling. I know the X299 (7980XE) when pushed does this and it's annoying. Only solution is to back off TDP (cut back multi / VCORE, etc.) or actively cool VRMs. Your board should have more headroom though.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Stock is out of the box, and your memory regardless of SPD will be 2100.
Are you sure it's throttling?
How hot are the VRMs?
If the VRMs go over 100-105C temp they will invoke throttling. I know the X299 (7980XE) when pushed does this and it's annoying. Only solution is to back off TDP (cut back multi / VCORE, etc.) or actively cool VRMs. Your board should have more headroom though.
What software do you recommend for monitoring VRM's ?

But I can just watch the PPT on Ryzen master, and the speed in task manager, and when PPT hits 250, speed goes down for a minute.

And memory is really running at 3000. Bios says so, and Ryzen master, and I will install CPUZ also to be sure.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
HWInfo but it's not always showing info because this hardware is too new.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
HWInfo but it's not always showing info because this hardware is too new.
Yea, I installed that while waiting, and I don;t see anything obvious. Maybe you have to force an OC before it ignores that TDP crap ?? I am not doing that until I get my custom water working.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I overclocked it to 3450, all cores (just a little) and the PPT measurement went away. I put a huge external fan (like 18 inches diameter) blowing on the motherboard, and it should cool the VRMS a LOT, they have huge heatsinks. Its still running at times very slow, like 1/4th the time, like before. Temps are even better now, but it still throttles. Never goes over 330 watts total package, same as before. There has to be something in bios making it do this.

Oh, and HWinfo stays at 250 watt CPU package power.

Edit: BOINC was set to 90% cpu and I set it to 100, and that may have fixed it. Not messing with it anymore tonight, too tired.

Last edited:

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
250W is package design at stock speed of 3GHz across all cores.
It can be calculated by actual voltage(s) and clock speeds at max load.
With 32 physical cores, it will go much higher quickly once you reach a speed where more voltage is necessary to maintain stability. I noticed this with my 7980XE systems and they have "only" 18 physical cores!

Good airflow across the board definitely helps out and really is necessary especially when you are using waterblocks since the fans on traditional tower coolers are no longer present. A little bit of flow (such as a single 120mm fan moving <100cfm) goes a long way.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Its now up to 3500, and still says 248 watt package power. Does HWinfo need refreshed ?

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah that's not right. If all cores are running 100% (BOINC) at 3500 you're certainly above that.
I was running mine at 4000 full load. I'm going to get out the IR camera and see what's getting hot. I could smell it, not a burning smell but a smell of new electronics when they break in and there is thermally triggered outgassing which indicates significant heating rather quickly. I don't want that to turn into smoke! ;)

Kyle Bennett said his Zenith ran at 4GHz fine but the VRM did heat up quickly. He had the add on accessory (cooler kit) strapped on it as well.

I would not be surprised by this heat as I remember my 1950 which I had at 4GHz but wasn't 100% stable (it would crash overnight rendering) got that VRM heatsink toasty. And that is basically HALF what this 2990 is! Wow!

Most boards won't blow out these days, they do have safeguards especially given the high OCP trip points in large rail PSUs. And failing that, there would be FLAMES! I had a DFI board (X48) for a client that totally went up in smoke when that happened. That's what happens when you have a 116A single rail 12V design.

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, remember, I have the 19 phase VRM from MSI and huge VRM heatsinks, and now a huge fan blowing on them, and I am only at 3500. Well, I just need a radiator, and then I can put some real cooling on it ! All the rest of the parts are in for the custom loop.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just got cinebench running. 5395@3.5 ghz
wxW7o9N.png

Markfw

May 16, 2002
What I can't believe is I did 3.5 ghz @ 1,040 vcore, and 32 cores and 64 threads is taking 237 watts out of the wall ! Thats efficiency !!!

What is your vcore for 4 ghz ? And what is your memory rated for ? I can't believe you can only do 2400, I am at 3000, and will try for more. mine is rated@3600 cl15.

Oh, but you have double density dimms for 132 gig... OK, I guess I can see that. I have 64 gig

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I have voltage set to auto and it's hovering around 1.35!
41X multi, over 6000 cb!

iIdqFLZ.png

I did get a reboot when running blender. Will check this as I had manual memory timings.
And some things like handbrake are clearly not optimized for this CPU as it never stays 100% loaded during rendering. I'm sure that will be fixed.

Reactions: IEC and lightmanek

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
What I can't believe is I did 3.5 ghz @ 1,040 vcore, and 32 cores and 64 threads is taking 237 watts out of the wall ! Thats efficiency !!!
Indeed. Highly impressive.

Maybe you have to force an OC before it ignores that TDP
There are 3 stages:
  • Default ("Precision Boost 2"): Power draw at the socket will not exceed TDP. Ever. Like in most servers.
  • "Precision Boost Overdrive" enabled: The processor firmware communicates with the mainboard and lifts the power limit somewhat, according to telemetry from the board's VRMs, and according to instrumentation of the processor itself.
    It should be possible to enable this stage with Ryzen Master.
  • Overclocking: The user controls clocks and power limits. "Precision Boost" is off.
    To enable this, you presumably need to go into the BIOS and find respective settings.
The stages are briefly described for example here:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review/3

I don't have experience with MSI BIOSes either.
I haven't found any review of this board which shows BIOS screenshots, except AnandTech's:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13189/the-msi-meg-x399-creation-motherboard-review/3
In the "OC" screen, perhaps first switch the "OC Explore Mode" from "normal" to... whatever is not normal, and then you may get to see options that aren't as obfuscated as the normal ones.

that TDP crap ??
IMO, AMD are doing it exactly right by keeping power draw within TDP by default.

Reactions: IEC

Markfw

May 16, 2002
HELP !! I am having a problem getting the compression ring to slide back then forward then tighten. So you put something on the tubing before you start this ?

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
What compression fittings do you have? I've used Koolance and bitspower in the past.

First thing you want to do is make sure you're getting a square cut on your tubing. Don't use a knife or scissors. You want to use a tubing cutter. This is important!

Typically with compressions, you remove the nut, slide it over the tubing, jam the tubing down on the barb until it's bottomed out and then slide the nut back down toward the fitting and tighten it up hand tight.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
What compression fittings do you have? I've used Koolance and bitspower in the past.

First thing you want to do is make sure you're getting a square cut on your tubing. Don't use a knife or scissors. You want to use a tubing cutter. This is important!

Typically with compressions, you remove the nut, slide it over the tubing, jam the tubing down on the barb until it's bottomed out and then slide the nut back down toward the fitting and tighten it up hand tight.
See this thread. https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...0-to-420-for-tr4.2551672/page-3#post-39540084

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK guys, Fir and I have done cinebench, but I thought everyone wanted some other benchmarks. Please request them here (but no games for me, unless they are a free download). We want to show what these can do !

BTW, mine is up to 3600@1.040 vcore still ! Custom water still coming, and up to 315 watts from the wall with a 1080TI idle, but 64 cores@ 100% load. And I am still on that little Noctura air cooler @56c. The only thing I added was a big external fan blowing on the case from outside(open case) pointed at the VRM's

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
OK guys, Fir and I have done cinebench, but I thought everyone wanted some other benchmarks. Please request them here (but no games for me, unless they are a free download). We want to show what these can do !

BTW, mine is up to 3600@1.040 vcore still ! Custom water still coming, and up to 315 watts from the wall with a 1080TI idle, but 64 cores@ 100% load. And I am still on that little Noctura air cooler @56c. The only thing I added was a big external fan blowing on the case from outside(open case) pointed at the VRM's

The new beta Blender Benchmark, both the quick and full version. In the thread, I have an overclocked 5960x on W10, Manjaro, and Ubuntu and I think it would be interesting to see how the 2990WX fares on both windows and a Linux distro, to see if gains are in the same neighborhood, bigger, or smaller.

Reactions: lightmanek