AMD 2990WX 32 core 64 thread Builders thread Pics starting build !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
...It's a frustrating situation ...
Roll the dice with Enermax.
Noctua air.
And soon, the Wraith Ripper air cooler. It remains to be seen how it performs.

It's very frustrating.
The Noctua is ~10C hotter than the Enermax360 on the 1950. I can only imagine what it would look like on the hotter 32 core :( The wraith is only rated for 250W, so, not expecting much out of it.
I'd be more interested in the Enermax 280 than the 360, honestly, as I like my optical bays, but man, what I wouldn't pay for an Enermax with an all copper radiator. Seriously. Stop messing around with copper and aluminum. :sigh: It can't be that bad, either -- a Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS is $60. I'd pay that extra dough....

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Question: Do you know if any other TR4 cooler out there for water, a 360 ? I know of none, and I would have to spend a lot on a custom water setup that I know nothing about.

I don't know of any others that are available right now but Cooler Master apparently has something coming (MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4):

http://www.coolermaster.com/tdp-and...&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=product_lines

Also I've had two of the Enermax 360 coolers fail on me so far :( Went back to the Noctua.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnavas

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
The WraithRipper is courtesy CoolerMaster, so, not terribly surprising. It's apparently got an aluminum radiator as well, so I'm, umm, tempering my expectations.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Reactions: ub4ty

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
When did you RMA? Enermax told me they had a QC issue with one of their early batches. They are sending me a new one soon.

First time was a few months ago, I don't think they were fully aware of the problem back then. I did another RMA last week and just got the replacement in. Enermax did tell me this one is supposed to be free of any issues. I have not tested it though, since they sent me a brand new unit I decided to sell this one and move to something else. Not sure what yet, will consider that Cooler Master though.

Interestingly, the TR 360 may be discontinued now. I see it is OOS at most places and they are advertising a new RGB version https://www.enermaxusa.com/product.php?pid=112557332#!/LIQFUSION/p/102260962/category=20957352

Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, Case and PSU are here. Major parts coming tomorrow. CPU ships Monday, and Cooler should be here Monday. I have surgery next wed, so lets hope recovery is quick so I can build later in the week, as CPU should be here wed-fri next week.

Oh, and I forgot to add the NVME heatsink, but I already had that.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't see that for sales anywhere. Is that the 19 phase motherboard ?

Reactions: Drazick

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I have the Zenith and it should work. Dual 8 pin CPU connectors going to be a requirement for this puppy!
And OC is going to be a challenge for ANY cooler outside of custom circuit liquid.
I personally believe this is the best block on the market:

http://shop.watercool.de/18025

Raystorm is nice but not nearly as well made as WC. It's German after all! ;)

CPU is preordered at MC, they say ready for pickup at 1300 Monday the 13th. Unfortunately the only viable cooler I have on hand to use at the moment is the Enermax TR4 360. And I think it will only handle this chip stock meaning it shouldn't throttle but I don't expect great results either.

$100 more than what I paid for the 7980XE. My 4.7GHz OC nets close to 5K on CB and TR with 32cores is close to that stock? Sounds good to me. Probably run stock for the time being until the WC block comes. Then it's sub ambient time. I'm sure the VRMs are going to LOVE that draw. LOL

Hey Mark,

why don't you go with the MSI X399 Meg Creation? Are there any disadvantages?

I'd wait for the ROG refresh in a few weeks/months.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Mark, good luck with your surgery. For all the $$$ you are putting into the new 2990x cpu did you consider one of the EK complete kits to custom cool it?

Reactions: IEC

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark, good luck with your surgery. For all the $$$ you are putting into the new 2990x cpu did you consider one of the EK complete kits to custom cool it?
I was told their rads are not good, so considering the custom loop, now that I know the Enermax is crap

Reactions: Drazick

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Mark, I am hardly an "expert" on custom water cooling but both my 5960x and 2700x are custom water cooled along with their gpus. I found from a lot of trial and error the D5 pumps are robust and work well. I use clear flexible tubing. I have used XSPC rads, EK rads and MagicCool rads with good luck. If you really want to got "nuts" you could use the WaterCool MO-RA3-420 external radiator I have (not using it right now waiting for a future build). Everybody seems to have different opinions on fans.

I have 12 Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans on my 3-480 mm rads in my 5960x rig. Admittedly OVERKILL but fun. I'm using XSPC fans for my 2700x rig and they work well.

If I was buying the Asus Zenithmb and the 2990 WX I would buy the monoblock made by EK which cools both the cpu AND the VRMs. If you are only going to cool those, a solid 360 mm radiator should do the trick. I have been very pleased with the EK 140 D5 pump/reservoir combo I am using in the 2700x rig.

BTW I purchase most of my watercooling parts from Performance PC in Florida. GREAT selection, excellent prices and fast shipping.

Good luck.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
My main concern with getting the monoblock NOW is you may have to wait (to get another) as it may not work on future X399 revision boards designed with 32 core cpus in mind as their power delivery components and layout would be different and thus incompatible with a monoblock.

And (IMHO) EK should offer a full copper OR copper covered with black acetal version. Their first rev. TR4 blocks sucked hardcore and I just not a fan of nickel plating after the flaking fiasco.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, now I have a custom water setup coming with a 360x60mm rad, and the 19 phase MSI motherboard. So I now have the best that's available for this build, but now I am at $6,000

Edit: OK, the parts have started to arrive ! The new NSI motherboard is not even shipped yet, or the watercooling stuff, and the CPU does not ship until Monday, but here is the rest ! 1 TB NVME SSD, 8 sticks of 8 gig 3600 cl15, AX1500i PSU, and the original pick for a motherboard., and the new case naked, and one video card.

EQFpSM8.jpg

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
For all the $$$ you are putting into the new 2990x cpu did you consider one of the EK complete kits to custom cool it?
The CPU waterblock included in these kits wouldn't fit on socket TR4.
Also, none of the kits have sufficient radiator surface for the kind of power consumption that Mark is targeting.
I was told their rads are not good,
I think the word was they are overpriced.

I have 7 radiators from EK and don't have complaints. Being still somewhat of a watercooling newbie myself, I have no comparison with radiators from other brands though, except for one MO-RA3.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
I would really appreciate if someone ran the new blender quick benchmark on that CPU to see how well it scales. With perfect scaling, it should be able to run it in about 4-5 minutes (on ubuntu) compared to the 15-17 minutes on R1700X.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
My CPU shipped ! And the motherboard is on the way. I am still missing a bunch of the watercooling parts, but I have a Enermax 360 AIO to try while waiting. No ETA on the delivery, but I am a newegg Premere member, so it should not be more than 3 days. The motherboard is due wednesday.