AMD 2200/2400 G's Memory Speed/CPU Temperature Scale - faster means hotter?

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
My system:
AMD 2200G (with stock cooling fan, no extras or premium materials or fans added)
ASRock AB350M Pro4
16GB(2x8GB) Patriot Vipers (PV416G300C6K) in dual-channel mode
(2133MHz base, 3000MHZ @1.35V XMP 2.0)

Running the memory right now at base speed of 2133MHz the ASRock A-Tuning software shows the CPU Temperature @ 28C/82F and the same for T Ctrl and M/B.

I was running the memory successfully @ 2934MHz for a couple of days before Windows 10 started crashing. I noticed in the BIOS that the CPU temperature was reported at around 46C.

Does anybody know if AMD, or JEDEC offers a scale of temperatures that are safe as memory speeds scale up? And can somebody give me an idea of how temperatures scale up as memory speeds/frequencies increase. For instance, at my current situation, the starting point is:

@2133MHz, 28C/82F
@2400MHz XX/XX
@2666MHz XX/XX
@2800MHz XX/XX
@2934MHz XX/XX (this was @ 46C in my BIOS yesterday noticed when Windows crashed and rebooted)

But this is the kind of scale I'm looking for to make sure I'm in line with what's normal.

I had to figure out my own timings for this memory kit. Can faulty memory timings increase temperatures unnecessarily? I would think the applied voltage was the most significant factor in rising temperatures since it should be a constant. But I don't know for sure.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Actually 46C CPU temps isn't bad and that shouldn't have caused Windows to crash. I'm thinking that since your memory is rated at 2133Mhz and your are trying to run higher then it is rated for, that is what is causing your system to crash and reboot.

Replace with memory that is actually rated to run at the speeds you want, or stick to the speeds known to work.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
Actually 46C CPU temps isn't bad and that shouldn't have caused Windows to crash. I'm thinking that since your memory is rated at 2133Mhz and your are trying to run higher then it is rated for, that is what is causing your system to crash and reboot.

Replace with memory that is actually rated to run at the speeds you want, or stick to the speeds known to work.

Well, thank you for your post. I'm glad to hear that 46C is an acceptable temperature for running my CPU at. My memory's base speed is 2133MHz. I think of it as a default speed. It's actually rated, by Patriot, to run @ 3000MHz with XMP 2.0 timings. And it did run fine for 2 or 3 days straight @ 2934MHz. I would have to check logs to get exact length of time.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, thank you for your post. I'm glad to hear that 46C is an acceptable temperature for running my CPU at. My memory's base speed is 2133MHz. I think of it as a default speed. It's actually rated, by Patriot, to run @ 3000MHz with XMP 2.0 timings. And it did run fine for 2 or 3 days straight @ 2934MHz. I would have to check logs to get exact length of time.
I'm assuming that you have update the BIOS for the 2200G to work on that motherboard unless it already has support for that APU OOTB. In which case I would check for new BIOS updates.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I'm assuming that you have update the BIOS for the 2200G to work on that motherboard unless it already has support for that APU OOTB. In which case I would check for new BIOS updates.

Yep, I updated my BIOS to. P4.70 very quickly once I had the system up and running. I don't know maybe Windows is crashing for some other odd reason. In fact, the Windows 10 April 2018 update just become official. And I've heard there are a few issues with it. Well, as long as a CPU temperature of 46C is nothing to be concerned about I may go set this system back up @ 2933MHz and see what happens for awhile.

I guess my concern would be that the motherboard itself is resetting because of high temperatures. I guess I need to see what temperatures my motherboard is watching for a hard reset....

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yep, I updated my BIOS to. P4.70 very quickly once I had the system up and running. I don't know maybe Windows is crashing for some other odd reason. In fact, the Windows 10 April 2018 update just become official. And I've heard there are a few issues with it. Well, as long as a CPU temperature of 46C is nothing to be concerned about I may go set this system back up @ 2933MHz and see what happens for awhile.
You could run it at 2800Mhz since that seems stable until you are able to run the memory at 2933Mhz. That is what I would do.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I have the AB350 Pro 4 which is the same as yours except ATX vs mATX. I've got a 1700 on it with ddr4 2400 running at 3066.

What do you have your memory footage set to? When you said 1.35 I wasn't clear if you were talking about CPU or RAM. I'm using 1.45 V and the extra voltage definitely did the trick. I'm also wondering if the fact that the onboard graphics using the system RAM makes it harder to achieve high RAM speeds? No idea since I haven't had the opportunity to play with one of those. Also 46 is no built deal.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I have the AB350 Pro 4 which is the same as yours except ATX vs mATX. I've got a 1700 on it with ddr4 2400 running at 3066.

What do you have your memory footage set to? When you said 1.35 I wasn't clear if you were talking about CPU or RAM. I'm using 1.45 V and the extra voltage definitely did the trick. I'm also wondering if the fact that the onboard graphics using the system RAM makes it harder to achieve high RAM speeds? No idea since I haven't had the opportunity to play with one of those. Also 46 is no built deal.

Wow, your really sticking it to the memory manufacturer arent you? Way to go! :)

1.35V is what most overclocked DDR4 memory runs at. I'm just talking about the memory voltage. I don't think the iGPU matters all that much. We both have Infinity Fabric don't we?

EDIT: Just to add your question though. The answer is still no because there are review sites that run 3200MHz without issues on this CPU. It's more my specific memory/timings than anything. I had to figure out what works myself as the XMP 2.0 profile settings never did.

I'm trying 2934MHz again. I paid for 3000MHz and I'm hell bent on getting it. Or i"ll be calling my attorney (when I can afford one that is).

The CPU is running at half it's rated speed in the screenshot. So, I guess I gotta run some games or something to see how this goes.

Jip6diE.png

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I would just run at 2800Mhz for now and wait until BIOS updates fixes the issue.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I would just run at 2800Mhz for now and wait until BIOS updates fixes the issue.

I'll probably end up there but I'm just kind having some fun right now. Seeing what's up and trying to learn new things. As long as I don't set my house on fire I'll be okay.

EDIT: I'm seeing some high temperatures on auxillary and AUXTIN1 using HWInfo. Are these temperatures for these things a cause for concern?

crdEtz3

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah I don't think he will get very far. It would be far cheaper just to buy another kit that is known to work at those speeds.

5 days straight up without any issues @ 2934MHz. I'm getting bored with waiting for it to crash now.

lGyeSdS.png