News AMD 1Q22 Results

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Intel continues to struggle. This was about the time they were expected to return to competitiveness, I don't think they even have Mindshare advantage anymore. The amazing results just keep coming for AMD.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
A: DC market - people want more optimized for workloads. We see that in Milan and Milan-X. It's natural for these to sit side by side. With Genoa, we see adoption - lots of excitement and demand. Genoa will sit beside Milan for a time, it's not immediate.

Curious.

A: Bergamo will be more specific to certain large hyperscalers, for better perf/$ and perf/W solution. AMD can invest more in these customized and optimized solutions.

People keep claiming Bergamo will land in desktop chips, but if it is, AMD has revealed nothing of the sort.

A: Not sure we see a plateau. 2H expects server to grow, good visibility there, console also growth seasonality. Typical PC is growth in 2H, but we're modelling lower. Xilinx also trends upwards as supply comes online.

Again, curious.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Between Zen 4C and stacking AMD has the building blocks to add more cores and cache where needed.

But at this point it may only be seen as an option in consumer parts. 'Break glass in case of unexpected competition'. Hopefully not, but when supply is limited we come last.

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
What I mean, is after more CPU's convert to 5nm and below, 7nm will get cheaper, and the lower end chips can be made to use that resource, and it will get cheaper in time.
That would be terrible for AMD, nobody wants an aging arch, not even for budget systems. They could keep selling their current lineup for entry prices but I doubt that would be financially viable since they would be competing with the second hand market.
Yes, but by then maybe marketshare will be 50/50 with Intel (2-3 years ?? or more) and the heat will be on. Even if they have to go elsewhere. They will need cheap CPUs then. Now they are just rolling in dough.
They would need 100% of tsmc output to get 50/50 with intel current output, not just of the cutting edge nodes, but total output of tsmc.
I'm sure intel IDM 2 is waiting for them open handed if they want to expand.
Now they are just rolling in dough.
AMD made 786 millions this quarter and that includes all GPU sales and all console sales...it's not CPUs alone.
Cost of sales has increases the same amount as revenue has and on top of that r&d and marketing has increased.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
So now the consoles will be linked to "Gaming", which will obscure desktop Radeon sales but not much else.
Yeah, even server Radeon Instinct won't be included. Will be really interesting to see what kind of numbers that grouping results in. Steam Deck was mentioned in the call as part of semi custom along Sony and Microsoft, so that likely included in gaming as well.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That would be terrible for AMD, nobody wants an aging arch, not even for budget systems. They could keep selling their current lineup for entry prices but I doubt that would be financially viable since they would be competing with the second hand market.

They would need 100% of tsmc output to get 50/50 with intel current output, not just of the cutting edge nodes, but total output of tsmc.

AMD made 786 millions this quarter and that includes all GPU sales and all console sales...it's not CPUs alone.
Cost of sales has increases the same amount as revenue has and on top of that r&d and marketing has increased.
Do you troll every reply I make ? Or are you just a stupid troll ?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, lets just say that for the next year or so, AMD will do nothing but gain marketshare

Last year in client AMD even shipped less than 2020 so yes Intel gained market share. The big revenue gains increase came from the way higher ASP.

AMD didn't post the 10-Q yet so can't compare to Intel for Q1. Intel did have a big drop in volume for both laptop and desktop in Q1 so AMD likely did gain share.

Reactions: scineram

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
(....) nobody wants an aging arch, not even for budget systems. They could keep selling their current lineup for entry prices but I doubt that would be financially viable since they would be competing with the second hand market.
What an ignorant take... Do you live in a skyscraper so high, you don't see the rest of the world, only your 2 blocks of perfect life or what?

Reactions: scannall

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
That will change in time. Right now, concentrating on the high end, mostly server, allows them to make a LOT of money and gain marketshare and mindshare. The lower end will come as MFG costs drop, and they will when things stabilize.

I haven't purchased a new AMD processor in years, mostly because of the prices. Got my 3600 second hand.

While I prefer AMD, I would argue that the lower end will come back when Intel forces it, with better processors and lower prices with the next generation. The I3 12100F is a good example, for $108. Why spend $200 on an AMD processor that is only a tiny bit better?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AMD posted the 10-Q.... 7% decline in unit shipments for Client. Note this includes Radeon in it too so it's not quite like for like. 42% increase in ASP.

Compared to Intel which was -35% in Notebook with a 32% increase in ASP and desktop was down 11% with a 7% ASP increase. So despite selling decently less, AMD did gain quite a bit of share from Intel not selling a bazillion 14 nm Atom Chromebooks.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
What an ignorant take... Do you live in a skyscraper so high, you don't see the rest of the world, only your 2 blocks of perfect life or what?
Ok, let me rephrase that, nobody is going to pay new technology prices for older technology.
Would you pay 6c ryzen prices for 6c fx cpus?
Would you even pay 6c 5nm prices for 6c 7nm cores?
AMD would have to compete on price with the used market if they did that and that would be terrible.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

Are you claiming that Intel has the same wafer output as TSMC? Really?

Try investigating some more. TSMC dwarfs Intel in total wafer output and even more in advanced nodes. Why in the world do you think they're buying capacity from TSMC, if not for this.