News AMD 1Q22 Results

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
  • Advanced Micro Devices press release (NASDAQ:AMD): Q1 Non-GAAP EPS of $1.13 beats by $0.20.
  • Revenue of $5.9B (+71.2% Y/Y) beats by $330M.
  • For the second quarter of 2022, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $6.5 billion vs. $6.36B consensus, plus or minus $200 million, an increase of approximately 69% year-over-year and approximately 10% quarter-over-quarter. The year-over-year increase is expected to be driven by the addition of Xilinx and higher server, semi-custom and client revenue. The quarter-over-quarter increase is expected to be primarily driven by Xilinx and higher server revenue. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be approximately 54% in the second quarter of 2022.
  • For the full year 2022, AMD now expects revenue to be approximately $26.3 billion vs. $25.45B consensus, an increase of approximately 60% over 2021, up from prior guidance of approximately 31%, driven by the addition of Xilinx and higher server and semi-custom revenue. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be approximately 54% for 2022, up from prior guidance of approximately 51%.

A lot of the increase comes from now counting Xilinx revenue as part of AMD. Will try to dig for details on 'core' AMD results.

Edit:

Without counting XLNX, AMD revenue was $5.32B for the quarter with 51% GM. This is a ~54% increase in Y/Y revenue and ~10% Q/Q increase.

CEO Dr. Lisa Su, “Each of our businesses grew by a significant double digit percentage year-over-year, led by EPYC server processor revenue more than doubling for the third straight quarter."

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
  • Leading the way during the quarter was revenue attributed to its Computing and Graphics segment, which saw sales rise 33% year-over-year to $2.8 billion, thanks to AMD's Ryzen and Radeon processors.
  • Revenue attributed to its Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment came in at $2.5 billion, up 88% year-over-year and 13% sequentially, thanks to higher revenue from its EPYC processor, semi-custom and embedded product sales.
  • Santa Clara, California-based AMD (AMD) ended the quarter with $6.5 billion in cash and cash equivalents and bought back $1.9 billion in stock during the period.
  • AMD (AMD) also raised its full-year guidance, saying it now expects to generate $26.3 billion in revenue, up 60% year-over-year, up from a previous outlook of 31%. The increase is due in part to the Xilinx acquisition as well as higher server and semi-customer revenue.
  • It also expects non-GAAP gross margins to be 54% during the year, up from a prior outlook of approximately 51%.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
For the full year 2022, AMD now expects revenue to be approximately $26.3 billion vs. $25.45B consensus, an increase of approximately 60% over 2021, up from prior guidance of approximately 31%, driven by the addition of Xilinx and higher server and semi-custom revenue. AMD expects non-GAAP gross margin to be approximately 54% for 2022, up from prior guidance of approximately 51%.
With this growth rate, Intel will be facing a different beast in two years time.
By end of 2024, AMD will be crossing of 50B Yearly revenue.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Woah, they are going to change the names of there revenue segments. That's big, because everyone has been picking at AMD to split out server from their enterprise and embedded segment.

Reactions: Tlh97 and gdansk

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
With this growth rate, Intel will be facing a different beast in two years time.
By end of 2024, AMD will be crossing of 50B Yearly revenue.
They do say "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". :p

https://www.techspot.com/news/93026-intel-boss-gelsinger-amd-rearview-mirror-following-alder.html

Just think If AMD hadn't had such limited supplies from TSMC, forcing them to pretty much abandon the entry-level / low-end of the market over the last few years (and which pretty much affected the availability of all of their CPUs for roughly a full year after they launched their 5000 series).

As impressive as Pat Gelsinger has been at Intel since he took over, Lisa Su has just been killing it over at AMD quarter after quarter.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Just think If AMD hadn't had such limited supplies from TSMC, forcing them to pretty much abandon the entry-level / low-end of the market over the last few years

Isn't that kind of the rub though? Their margins are going up because they are jacking up prices but the client volume is probably not going up that much. But as long as TSMC remains super expensive serving the low end isn't going to work.

Reactions: KompuKare

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Isn't that kind of the rub though? Their margins are going up because they are jacking up prices but the client volume is probably not going up that much. But as long as TSMC remains super expensive serving the low end isn't going to work.
That will change in time. Right now, concentrating on the high end, mostly server, allows them to make a LOT of money and gain marketshare and mindshare. The lower end will come as MFG costs drop, and they will when things stabilize.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Woah, they are going to change the names of there revenue segments. That's big, because everyone has been picking at AMD to split out server from their enterprise and embedded segment.
AMD always needed some big enough business section that is able to hide the exact numbers in semi custom from Microsoft and Sony (as they could deduce each other's numbers using their own otherwise). Server had to do that so far, Xilinx works as well now and is a better fit for semi custom anyway.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That will change in time. Right now, concentrating on the high end, mostly server, allows them to make a LOT of money and gain marketshare and mindshare. The lower end will come as MFG costs drop, and they will when things stabilize.

That's what I mean, the costs won't be dropping, at least as long as they fab at TSMC. Obviously it's not a problem right now but I do think there is a limit to their price hikes.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's what I mean, the costs won't be dropping, at least as long as they fab at TSMC. Obviously it's not a problem right now but I do think there is a limit to their price hikes.
What I mean, is after more CPU's convert to 5nm and below, 7nm will get cheaper, and the lower end chips can be made to use that resource, and it will get cheaper in time.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
AMD always needed some big enough business section that is able to hide the exact numbers in semi custom from Microsoft and Sony (as they could deduce each other's numbers using their own otherwise). Server had to do that so far, Xilinx works as well now and is a better fit for semi custom anyway.
Right, if I had to guess I think consoles falls under the Gaming segment now, which includes Radeon (Ryzen went to the Client segment), so they'll still have the ability to shield the console revenue between MS and Sony.

Edit: Yep, consoles are a part of the Gaming segment now (see below). Looks like Xilinx revenue gets sprinkled in across all segments, depending on where it was used.
1651618611988.png

Markfw

May 16, 2002
TSMC is so popular right now that N7/N6 getting cheaper is going to take awhile.
Yes, but by then maybe marketshare will be 50/50 with Intel (2-3 years ?? or more) and the heat will be on. Even if they have to go elsewhere. They will need cheap CPUs then. Now they are just rolling in dough.

Reactions: Drazick

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Right, if I had to guess I think consoles falls under the Gaming segment now, which includes Radeon (Ryzen went to the Client segment), so they'll still have the ability to shield the console revenue between MS and Sony.

Edit: Yep, consoles are a part of the Gaming segment now (see below). Looks like Xilinx revenue gets sprinkled in across all segments, depending on where it was used.
View attachment 61023
Thanks for the edit, already wanted to ask where you took the hint from that AMD would want to split the business areas like this. Seems sensible that way indeed. Though I'm not perfectly sure they'll indeed use that separation for the numbers in the future earnings calls.

Link to AMD's page with presentation slides etc:

Edit: I see it has been announced in the call.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
They got a long way to go on that. I think the only thing you can say right now is that client ASPs are way higher than Intel's.
Well, lets just say that for the next year or so, AMD will do nothing but gain marketshare, mindshare and $$$. That seems kind of certain. And there have been some inexpensive CPUs coming lately (the 5700x ? and others). Time will tell. Nobody can argue they are on a roll, and Intel is NOT.

And I can say this here as its an AMD thread. Alder lake is not a bad product, but it still takes too much power and creates too much heat, can't win in gaming (since the 5800x3d) and can't touch AMD in productivity or efficiency, or value. The only thing it currently is best at is the low end. The 12100 or the 12400, and that only for basic desktop usage. And this is changing even,.

Look at the 5600g and the 12400, $180 both and good performance for both.

Last edited: