AMD 1090T BE Processor and 1055T (Thuban) tested

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Owners will not care, i mean why would they? Are you worried that AMD might release something faster than what you have now?? It only shows how much of a FANBOY you are. Maybe Intel will but no one knows what's going to happen, it might be one hell of a chip or not.

Now go hide behing your great Blue Giant... u r the joke

lol

I'm not worried at all...

o my god he called me a fanboy whatever shall I do.

Let me educate you on something...

I've only ever owned 2 intel rigs a P2 and now an i7. In between that gap it was all AMD and now i'm the intel Fan boy when i've owned more amd rigs than intel ?? easy to be calling people names when you speak out of your ass and no nothing about them personally.

And If I was out to purchase a system now and AMD had something out that met my price/performance budget I would glady pick it up. Its only children that care about brand loyalty and fanboys as is the popular term thrown around the forums.

And the reason I choose intel when I did my build in oct 09 is AMD had nothing performance wise at the time nor do they still have a chipset that can compete with the X58. An SSD was planned into this build and an intel chipset with an intel SSD offers the best reliablity and performance currently.

If AMD's next cpu lives up the the hype and i'm building a rig at that time I will glady switch back but now that i've had a taste of the X58 they will also need to have a chipset that can equal it.

the only joke here is you son

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
awesome correction. :D
No because none of u guys will pull a fair comparison.
Its a hexcore.. so you battle it against a hexcore..
But even then the i7's will still beat it.

You guys are giving remorse to current 920 owners by making them think this is a better cpu.
From WHAT FACTS?

Uhhhhh.... I don't even know where to go with this one. lol.

Saying that it's hexcore so you should compare vs. another hexcore makes no sense at all man, sorry. One of them is $1,000. Out of reach of the majority of people. One is $300. They aren't designed to compete with each other. At all.

That'd be like...you know what, nevermind, lol. This thread should just be locked, it serves no purpose any more... Will these chips steal the performance crown from intel? No, of course not. Will they be competitive at their price level? Yep.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
aigo, I have to agree here...

Not hex to hex but dollar to dollar is the way to compare....

Please don't make me lock this.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Some good info would be the following:

1. What boards will support these chips? Ie I know it's socket compatible but what boards will (and what won't) have the bios updates necessary? (I have a lot of friends at work that have socket am2+/3 systems. Dual or triple core systems and they were really looking at these, wondering if their board would get a bios update). If manufacturers are lazy and only update newly released stuff then that will be really unfortunate.
2. Does anyone here *have* one yet? Supposedly the manufacturing improvements have greatly improved overclocking potential--but then again the early "sample" chips could be cherry picked--prolly not, but it's possible.
3. How well does the turbo mode combine with overclocking?

On a complete side note, earlier in the thread someone was saying something about how you could get a core i7 of some sort for super cheap, and then someone replied "but not everyone has a microcenter near by". Just wanted to point out that if you are on the west coast you *MAY* have a Fry's near by. Fry's locations will usually honor other Fry's locations' advertised specials. If you watch and wait you can get some borderline obscene motherboard+cpu combo deals. I got my i750+a decent MSI board for super cheap when I got it. This goes for AMD systems as well. . .

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

1. What boards will support these chips? Ie I know it's socket compatible but what boards will (and what won't) have the bios updates necessary? (I have a lot of friends at work that have socket am2+/3 systems. Dual or triple core systems and they were really looking at these, wondering if their board would get a bios update). If manufacturers are lazy and only update newly released stuff then that will be really unfortunate.

The jury's still out on which boards will be supported and which will not. All we know is that any AM2+/AM3 board that can handle 140W CPUs should be able to handle Thuban with a BIOS update. It is reasonable to assume that the best-selling boards will be the first to receive BIOS updates. For what it's worth, my board (GD70) either already supports Thuban in 1.10 beta BIOSes or will with 1.10 final. So if you've got a GD70, you should be okay.

2. Does anyone here *have* one yet? Supposedly the manufacturing improvements have greatly improved overclocking potential--but then again the early "sample" chips could be cherry picked--prolly not, but it's possible.

Check XS, some guys over there have them.

3. How well does the turbo mode combine with overclocking?

See above.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4345919&postcount=122

1055T_XS_wPrime32_Air.jpg

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002

Asus compatibility: http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/m4_6cores/

ECS compatibility: http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/6core/index.html

Gigabyte AM2+/AM3 compatibility (Four Pages to go through): http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Moth...Vender=AMD Phenom II&CPUModel=Socket AM3_1454

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
4.4 Ghz at 1.5 V :eek:.

wow..the deal is getting sweeter by the day.

nvm it was 1.57 V

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
OK this is where i need to pull the line on this fuel.

No.. an i7 will smash it... no trading blows.. its called straight up RAPE:

3d06:

Vantage:

CB10:

CB11:

980X is still a long shot to the moon for the 1090. Don't compare it period.

Im trying to be really impartial.. but when you guys feed wrong info, i will step in.

Leave ALL the i7's out of this... the i7 was never meant to be a competition to AMD.
And the i7's are all going to have a nice cache upgrade to 12MEGS later in the future on a 32nm platform.
So... its not wise to compare AMD with an i7 @ performance unless u want to see spanking.

Why are you comparing a $1000 processor to a 300 dollar processor? If Intel comes up with a 300 dollar 6core, then you might have a point. That chip doesn't exist right now.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
lol

I'm not worried at all...

o my god he called me a fanboy whatever shall I do.

Let me educate you on something...

I've only ever owned 2 intel rigs a P2 and now an i7. In between that gap it was all AMD and now i'm the intel Fan boy when i've owned more amd rigs than intel ?? easy to be calling people names when you speak out of your ass and no nothing about them personally.

And If I was out to purchase a system now and AMD had something out that met my price/performance budget I would glady pick it up. Its only children that care about brand loyalty and fanboys as is the popular term thrown around the forums.

And the reason I choose intel when I did my build in oct 09 is AMD had nothing performance wise at the time nor do they still have a chipset that can compete with the X58. An SSD was planned into this build and an intel chipset with an intel SSD offers the best reliablity and performance currently.

If AMD's next cpu lives up the the hype and i'm building a rig at that time I will glady switch back but now that i've had a taste of the X58 they will also need to have a chipset that can equal it.

the only joke here is you son

90% of your post is yourself explaining and proving how you would gladly go back to AMD, no need for that worried man.

On Topic, Thuban is shaping up to be a great alternative to lower end i7's get it? Worried now??? Have a nice day

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
90% of your post is yourself explaining and proving how you would gladly go back to AMD, no need for that worried man.

On Topic, Thuban is shaping up to be a great alternative to lower end i7's get it? Worried now??? Have a nice day

It was to show that I will buy either system, and it pretty obvious your just a troll looking to pick fights.

And your not worth responding to anymore.

Now I do have a question for the adults in this thread how much of a difference do you guys there will be with a 6 core amd part using DDR2 800-1066 compared to AM3 with DDR3 in terms of performance when all 6 cores are being used i'm interested in knowing this.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
If you can get your DDR2 @ 1066 or a bit higher while still maintaining CL 5, you're going to be golden. The AMD IMC in current processors loves tighter timings, so if you're using DDR3, shoot for 1333 CL 6, 1666 CL 7, and so forth.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah he said it was air, you can click the link. That's some crazy air cooling.

Noted, yeah that is pretty crazy actually :twisted:

If these things can OC like crazy on fast DDR2 memory like 1066 or higher, it would be sweet. But some nice dual channel DDR3 would be better for optimal performance I think. Damn, now I can't wait for the official benchmarks :thumbsup: This is reminding me of the Athlon Barton XP 2500+ days.

Last edited:

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Well from what I've read and experienced, you actually clock a little bit higher using DDR3 than DDR2 with AM3 cpus. I think it has to do with how high DDR2 voltages are, than compared with DDR3 ones.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If this is on air, then the 1090T BE should OC easily to 4.6-4.8 on air with a better multi, impressive.

Wow a six second test really concludes stability. Get back when it has run Linpack for five hours or more. ;)

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Something I don't get. If these folks bought theses cpus from a store, why not actually truly test the thing? The Xtreme posts with super pi and 3dmark are worth absolutely nothing. I can understand websites with ndas, but these silly little tests are just dumb.

MCrowley

Apr 20, 2010
I just received a 1055T, and want to get started. I will have to purchase a motherboard and RAM to go with this chip

Any Recommendations?

I am personally a fan of Gigabyte motherboards (using a P45 board from them now)

As to the heated discussion going on this thread) about comparisons between Core i7 and Thuban processors, IMHO, it does not matter how many cores you have, just the price that you paid for the product.

I am certain that there are people who get a lot out of overclocking processors at home, but as always, your mileage may vary (I was never able to get my C2Q 6600 past 2.9GHz or so COMPLETELY STABLE 24x7). I would be more interested in comparisons price for price without overclocking. I would guess that the 1055t that I have would be best compared to the Core i5 750.

I am anticipating that a mainstream motherboard based on the 890fx chipset should be in the $150 ballpark, so will directly compare price/feature-wise to Intel P55 boards, except for one problem: Since intel decided in it's infinite wisdom to cripple the P55 chipset in the I/O department (1/2 speed PCIe 2.0 lanes ?!?!?!). there are serious issues with USB3 and SATA 6 and multiple GFX cards (I intend to install dual 5850s in this rig), so the boards will never match in the capbility department. That means that I would have to go out for a X58/Core i7 920 combination (Expect to pay at least $200 more for this rig).

In my case, I received the processor for free, so I am definitely going to go down this road. I look forward to a solid platform that will seriously outperform my Q6600.