Ambulance company, $1,800 - says pay now with credit card, insurance company will pay you back.....

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I recently took a family member to a nearby hospital, and a day or so later they used an ambulance to send her about 12 miles away to their 'main' hospital.

We just got a bill for $1,800 - which was evidently only the fee for the ambulance transfer between hospitals, nothing else.

The letter is not from our insurance like we are used to. Instead, it comes directly from the ambulette company.

It states that we are to pay the bill promptly, upon receipt. It suggests using a credit card, and calling them immediately.

Further, the letter says that we will be 'reimbursed by your insurance company'.

The ambulette transfer was right before the end of the year, when we had met our yearly insurance maximums, so we were not expecting any medical costs to be charged to us. We have a high deductible plan where we are responsible for roughly the first $4k a year, then 10% copay until we get to our annual max, which we got to in early December. For example, our medicines had been totally free at the pharmacy since early December.

I'm used to getting bills from Anthem that show the lower cost that they negotiated, and the amount we are responsible for, if any. I'm worried that if we pay this directly, it might not be counted towards the maximum health charges for the year for Anthem. Or, if Anthem said we were already up to our maximum for last year (which I think we were), and yet we pay this, then I'm worried that Anthem will just say "Sorry, you paid it, it's your problem".

Have any of you come across issues like this before? I'm not sure the best way to proceed on this.....

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
when it comes to health insurance, do NOT assume they will pay you back. Make the insurance company fight it out with the ambulance company. Thats their job anyway.
And if they wont pay out then find some way to claim financial hardship. They are obviously trying to screw you and you shouldnt let them get away with it.

• Love
Reactions: Muse and Thump553

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
That's a tough one, because I guess they don't have to take your insurance and they probably don't to avoid negoiated rates. I'd think your insurance will likely bill it as out of network so that likely has a separate cap.... I agree with other, tell them bill your insurance.

Don't be surprised when they bill you for the difference though. You'll likely need to work with the ambulance company in the long run and play the I cant afford that card and workout a settlement. They WILL take less, the question is how much less. Otherwise they sell it to debt collectors for pennies on the dollar and get even less.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Always dodge the bill if you can. It all depends on your localities legal environment what is the road a debt collector can take.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Tell the ambu company to submit the bill to your insurance company. Get pissy if necessary.
This.

And then, even if it's denied, you still might be able to get it covered. I went through this last year with an out-of-network non-emergency ambulance Uber for 1.2 miles to the tune of $1267, my insurance ultimately paid out $727 after some back and forth, after they "negotiated" a rate of $1013, leaving me owing $253. I haven't heard from the ambulance company since last April or so, I think they decided to be satisfied with the $727 (yes, the math is weird).

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The hospital hired an outside contractor to move your family member to another facility. It seems to me that the contract is between the ambulance company and the hospital.
I'd say you need to contact your insurance provider to figure it out.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Ok, it is sounding like I need to contact the ambulette company and ask them to submit the bill through our insurance, and also contact Anthem and explain that the hospital unexpectedly moved her between facilities using an outside contractor. Hell, I would have taken a couple of hours off from work to drive her the 20 minutes to save $1,800. How in the world do these companies get away with these sort of unexpected additional expenses? I raced her to the hospital myself in the first place both to avoid the wait for the ambulance, and also to avoid a huge ambulance fee. I guess they still got me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
How in the world do these companies get away with these sort of unexpected additional expenses?

Gee.... I fvcking wonder? :mad:

I'd explain it to you but this isn't P&N... go cry to the retards you helped elect and see if they give a rats a$$. (they don't)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
What I'd like to do about it is open up the ambulette service to competing companies.
Well, we're starting to get political now.

The truth is we do not have a free market with regards to medicine in America. Arguably we dont have a free market with most products and services but this thread is about ambulance service.
We have an oligopoly thats actually enforced by the government, and the allegedly free-market loving politicians are fine with it because it makes a trillion dollars a year all together and I know for a fact they lobby anyone and everyone in power.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
one place i live actually had something where if you paid the ambulance company a couple hundred bucks up front for the year, you wouldn't get charged for any ambulance rides

kinda like protection money lol.

though not too much different than AAA, which i buy as it has saved me a couple HUGE towing bills before.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What I'd like to do about it is open up the ambulette service to competing companies.
Looks like you don't have enough EMS workers for the companies you have:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Of course! We can all afford to take the time to shop around when we have a medical emergency serious enough to require an ambulance. 🤣

When I need to call 911 I need to get some quick options emailed to me not just with the prices, but with all the fine print because we know that sticker price ain't just gonna be it. Who cares if that stroke takes out more of my brain, I gotta shop around for an ambluance first. 'Murica! Freedom!

Americans will look at anything but a solution that has already been found outside the country. It reminds me of @Greenman, he dismissed any conclusions by political experts/historians/academics simply because they were in Europe or Canada. That's it. It didn't matter that many of the same here in the States had already come to the same conclusion, it was, oh they are in Europe, what do they know. It's this complete idiocy that is ruining America.